Sign in with
Your question

ATX mid tower VS ATX full tower case

Last response: in Components
January 22, 2013 12:53:03 AM

I'm building a new computer and I'm trying to understand why I'd choose a full tower case as opposed to a mid tower case.

These are the two cases in question.

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN3-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and Black Interior
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

As far as space is concerned I'm buying a standard ATX motherboard and a coolermaster aftermarket fan. Also I'm using a single EVGA video card and a Corsair TX650M power supply.

Is there an obvious reason why I should pick one over the other? I'm ordering tomorrow and it's starting to be crunch time.

Thanks a ton in advance!
a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2013 12:55:27 AM

The full tower is obviously larger than a mid tower. The 932 is bigger, should have a bit better airflow, and handle more heat. That's usually it, the size.
m
l
January 22, 2013 12:57:32 AM

So both cases will work but the larger case cools better?

So theoretically my system might last longer in a full tower because it stays cooler?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2013 1:03:30 AM

Theoretically a bigger case SHOULD cool better than a smaller case but this has been proven wrong several times. Your system will run fine in the 922(mid tower). I personally don't like the looks of the 932. From a quick comparison the HAF 932 comes with more fans than the 922. I don't think it's worth the extra $20 or so it is. For the price I, ME, would get a Fractal Define R4 or the NZXT Phantom.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2013 1:03:55 AM

O boy that's a hard one to really answer. The main reason I can think to go with the full tower is if you ever go E-ATX mother board. Besides that there is size to consider. A mid tower can SOMETIMES fit under a desk, mine does. A full tower most likely wont. All the parts you mentioned will fit both cases so it seems to be a matter of preference at this point.

hard decision I understand but my advice is look long term. A case is an investment, it can be used over and over again on different builds so try to future proof with it.
m
l
January 22, 2013 1:04:21 AM

Well, the general consensus is to go with the case that offers the best upgrade path. That is why it is fine to go for an overkill case like a HAF X or a 800D. Because you'll basically never have to replace it.

Big cases doesn't necessarily means cool better. Having bigger cases can have risks such as having hot spots in certain parts of the case. It can offer better airflow though.

I like the 932 Advanced, its a great case, and if you want a window panel for it, you can buy a 932 BLACK panel which has a fantastic window.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2013 1:06:48 AM

larger towers are generally aimed at the uisers with the most case modifications. they usually will fit most if not all things thrown at it. one of them is water cooling, as some cases cannot fit radiators and fans as easily than others.
m
l
January 22, 2013 12:22:59 PM

completelyrandomname said:
Theoretically a bigger case SHOULD cool better than a smaller case but this has been proven wrong several times. Your system will run fine in the 922(mid tower). I personally don't like the looks of the 932. From a quick comparison the HAF 932 comes with more fans than the 922. I don't think it's worth the extra $20 or so it is. For the price I, ME, would get a Fractal Define R4 or the NZXT Phantom.

Thanks for the tip. That NZXT case looks freakin' SWEET! But the front ports are USB 2.0. Dang. But otherwise I love that one.
m
l
January 22, 2013 12:24:25 PM

Thanks bgunner and JJ1217

The idea of keeping my case does make me lean towards the full tower.
m
l
!