Sign in with
Your question

Case fans and CPU fans stay on after Windows shut down

Last response: in Systems
September 7, 2012 10:28:35 AM

I built a PC yesterday with all new parts, i had quite a few hitches and now the system runs fine, except when I turn it off... I have made a video of what happens...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4MDSX_4_Qs

No matter how I turn it off, I have to force the fans & cpu fans to turn off via pressing the power button for 5 seconds after Windows is shut down.

I have googled this and people point to it being a faulty PSU or faulty motherboard, Is there anything I can do to test this before replacing them?
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2012 12:10:55 PM

what motherboard do you have? some boards keep their fans on for a while to help cool down the system.
m
l
September 7, 2012 1:23:51 PM

MSI Z77A-G45

How long is a while? I have kept it on for 5+ minutes and still didn't turn off, also the system is always cool when I turn it off since I haven't been using it, if that matters, I don't know.
m
l
Related resources
September 7, 2012 1:43:42 PM

Also not sure if this means anything, but I don't get any audio from my TV through HDMI unless I plug my headphones into one of the headphone sockets then unplug it again.
m
l
September 7, 2012 6:06:26 PM

any ideas?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2012 11:50:38 PM

for the audio, can you try another hdmi cable? i usually dont use hdmi to transfer sound signals....

for a faulty psu, can you borrow a friends?

for a faulty board, you will have to rma
m
l
September 8, 2012 12:20:44 AM

The audio problem seemed to be a driver issue, but i still don't get any beeps on start up which is kind of odd.
I don't know anyone who could lend me a suitable PSU.
I will be returning it, possibly both psu and motherboard, just the problem is i'm charged for their testing if one or both aren't faulty :/ 
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2012 12:29:13 AM

ok then good luck
m
l
!