Advice on my first gaming-pc build (1000 euro budget)

Ekinox

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2012
*UPDATE* *13 september*

Hi guys,

I'm new here, and spent the last days assembling parts for a new rig. Any advice, like incompatabilities and such would be greatly appreciated. :)
Some info in the links will be partly in dutch, but it should be okay, since most terms are the same as the english ones.
Sorry for that!

Approximate Purchase Date: as soon as possible (within this month preferably)

Budget Range: 1000euro Before Rebates; Before Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies, studies

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: Everything exept a mouse, i have a laptop now.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: afuture.nl

Parts Preferences: Intel, Slight preference for nVidia, but ATI is fine too.

Overclocking: Maybe the GPU at later stage

SLI or Crossfire: maybe

Your Monitor Resolution:1920x1080

Additional Comments: Trying to assemble a future-proof gaming-pc, around 1000euro's,monitor included.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My laptop's GPU is failing, due to the voltage of the factory settings being too high. And i miss gaming :)

ok, so this is what i have:

Xigmatek midgard 2 case (67.30€)
Will this case be large enough for the components i want?

Asrock B75 Pro3-M MOBO (61.50€)
is micro-ATX an issue for graphic cards like the HD7950?

Intel Core i5-3570 processor (189.70€)

Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 2x4Gb RAM (35.10€)

Sapphire RADEON HD 7950 3072 MB (292.20€)

LG GH24NS90 dvd-player (15.70€)

Seagate Momentus XT 750GB SSD+HDD(117.60€)

Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2EU - 600 W Power supply (59.30€)
I think 600W is about enough?

LG IPS225V-BN 21.5inch monitor (128.7€)

For a total with shipping of: 993.98€

Okay, that's it i think.

Thanks for helping me out!

malbluff

Honorable
To answer "some" of your points.
If you DEFINITELY don't want to overclock CPU, EVER, you don't need an aftermarket cooler. The stock cooler, that comes with CPU, is perfectly adequate, unless you overclock. The only marginal advantage might be that it may be slightly quieter at high load.
Personally, however, I think it makes sense to, at least, give yourself an OC option, for the future, and use the unlocked "K" processor (virtually same price). You still don't NEED aftermarket cooler, until you overclock, but it does, then, make more sense to fit one, from the start (the EVO is better)
When it comes to WHICH GPU, there's not much to choose. Possibly, overall, the Radeon has the "edge", although the GTX660Ti performs particularly well in some games. It almost depends which game you want to play.
For PSU, always prefer Seasonic or Corsair. Main thing is not to "cheap out" on quality. A bad one is more likely to fail, and destroy the rest of your components, with it.
Monitor. Are you happy with that size. 23", or 24" is better, unless you are really cramped for space.

Ekinox

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2012
Thanks for the quick repply! :) It seems my URL naming didn't work, sorry for that..

Edit: works now, looks much better :)

Interesting opinions! Thing is, i picked up somewhere that CPU overclocking isn't that important anymore, as it is now almost always the GPU bottlenecking games. Is that true? Maybe in 3-4 years it'll make sense to overclock my CPU?

So, assuming 500W is enough, the Corsair one is the way to go? (techpowerup had a quite positive review of another power supply from Super Flower, so i assumed thisone was nice as well)
For the monitor, 21.5inch is fine,since my laptop is 17inch, so it's already an improvement. Also, since there's the same amount of pixels probably on a 24inch one, the pixel density will be greater on 21.5inch ^^ (doesn't really matter,i know)

malbluff

Honorable
Re Bottlenecks. Sorry to come back to the same "line". It really depends which game (and which GPU). Personally, and it is just my opinion, I think, overall, modest CPU overclocking is the order of the day. Bit of extra performance, in some games, without compromising reliability.
Not saying anything WRONG with that "Super Flower". Don't know it, personally, so can't comment. I DO know Seasonic and Corsair are quite good.
Re monitor, I was just wondering. That monitor seems fine, if you're happy with size. Dell monitors are worth a look. Their IPS seems to be particularly good (don't know why). Don't buy direct from Dell, though, their prices are silly. Shop around.

Ekinox

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2012
Ok, i updated my build, if anyone can help for the last questions remaining, it would be great!
thanks!

Ekinox

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2012

Thanks for the reply :) I wonder how you got here though, since the thread is quite old now :p I have bought an LG IPS234 panel, and a like it!