Solved

Combining old and new graphic cards

Good day everyone. I am not a computer savvy and I am just learning about computer stuff, I just need help/inquiries pertaining about graphic cards. I do have an old Nvidia GTX 275(3 way SLI) and I am planning to purchase a new Nvidia GTX 570 or 580 graphic card. My question is am I able to combine this 2 graphic cards without problems? Thanks!
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about combining graphic cards
  1. I don't quite get what you're trying to say. Are you trying to put a 570 and 580 in SLI together?
  2. quintano20 said:
    Good day everyone. I am not a computer savvy and I am just learning about computer stuff, I just need help/inquiries pertaining about graphic cards. I do have an old Nvidia GTX 275(3 way SLI) and I am planning to purchase a new Nvidia GTX 570 or 580 graphic card. My question is am I able to combine this 2 graphic cards without problems? Thanks!

you can SLI two 570's but not with your old gtx 275's.

What is your budget for buying a new GPU?
  3. maxh22 said:
    you can SLI two 570's but not with your old gtx 275's.

What is your budget for buying a new GPU?

My budget is going to be 300 to 450 dollars.
  4. RS1no2047 said:
    I don't quite get what you're trying to say. Are you trying to put a 570 and 580 in SLI together?

Sorry for the confusion, since english is my second language. I do have an old GTX 275 graphics card and i am planning to purchase a new one. I want to buy a new GTX 570 or a GTX 580 graphics card. My question is, is it possible to combine my old graphics card with the new graphics card that I am planning to buy.
  5. Best answer
    quintano20 said:
    Sorry for the confusion, since english is my second language. I do have an old GTX 275 graphics card and i am planning to purchase a new one. I want to buy a new GTX 570 or a GTX 580 graphics card. My question is, is it possible to combine my old graphics card with the new graphics card that I am planning to buy.

You cannot put any unmatched cards in SLI together. I suppose you could theoretically have 2 unlinked video cards (or sets of video cards) in a machine, but I think you can only use one at a time for output. If somebody could verify this, that'd be great.

For your budget, I'd recommend selling the old cards and purchasing a 670. That's essentially what I'm doing right now (as I await my very overdue paycheck).
  6. RS1no2047 said:
    You cannot put any unmatched cards in SLI together. I suppose you could theoretically have 2 unlinked video cards (or sets of video cards) in a machine, but I think you can only use one at a time for output. If somebody could verify this, that'd be great.

For your budget, I'd recommend selling the old cards and purchasing a 670. That's essentially what I'm doing right now (as I await my very overdue paycheck).

Thank you for the help! :)
  7. My pleasure
  8. SLI has to be matching cards. the most you can do with your old card is use it as a physx card, or use it to power a 3rd screen for standalone use and not gaming.
  9. dudewitbow said:
    SLI has to be matching cards. the most you can do with your old card is use it as a physx card, or use it to power a 3rd screen for standalone use and not gaming.

Im thinking doing that, but since im just a noob in computers im going to search how to do that. :D
  10. Best answer selected by quintano20.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Gtx Computer Graphics