Compaq EVO 510 SFF not powering up

CyberFoxZA

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Hi I have a Compaq EVO 510 SFF which recently started to behave weirdly.

1. Does not start from power button. Have to unplug power cable and reset the cmos. plug in power cable before it will start.
2. Also start if battery is removed.

I have already replaced the onboard battery.

Any help out there pls.

Solution
Compaq Evo 510 SFF :)
I have 3-4 of them dead in my office, an Evo 510 graveyard...
If you open the case, lay it on its side and check the capacitors around the CPU you most likely see that some of them will have leaked or at best have high hats (are ready to leak).
There is realy nothing you can do about it, except change the capacitors if you have the skill to do so. Most of the Evo SFF and USF models had the same issue. Due to the small size of the cases used the air circulation is usually bad and that causes the capacitors to heat up and pop before their time.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Compaq Evo 510 SFF :)
I have 3-4 of them dead in my office, an Evo 510 graveyard...
If you open the case, lay it on its side and check the capacitors around the CPU you most likely see that some of them will have leaked or at best have high hats (are ready to leak).
There is realy nothing you can do about it, except change the capacitors if you have the skill to do so. Most of the Evo SFF and USF models had the same issue. Due to the small size of the cases used the air circulation is usually bad and that causes the capacitors to heat up and pop before their time.

Solution

CyberFoxZA

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Thanks for your reply.

I'm afraid to admit, but you are right. I checked and found one capacitor leaking and 2 others that are realy overweight(swollen).

I thought my problem was CMOS or battery related but since u pointed out that you have a Evo 510 graveyard :D I have to believe you.

Thank you so much.