Strange battery charge problem

Hi all, I posted this previously but I think it must have been in the wrong category, no answers.

I have an Acer 1690 laptop running windows XP SP3. New power supply which seems to work fine, newish battery. I can run on the power supply no problem. The battery charges fine, and I can unplug it and run on just the battery, UNTIL it reaches full charge. Then it shows a discharged battery. Anywhere up to that point I can unplug it and it will work fine, showing anywhere up to 98%. When it does this, it will go into sleep mode. If I shut down and restart on battery only, it shows nearly full charge and works normally.

Any ideas on what I can do?
6 answers Last reply
More about strange battery charge problem
  1. Are you using an original battery? I found a thread where the OP had the same issue and replacing the battery with an original resolved the issue.
  2. I agree, some of those after-market batteries are not the bargain they are made out to be. Otherwise, I suggest updating windows and reinstalling all of your drivers.
  3. It is an aftermarket battery but it's my third battery and it worked fine when I got it. As of now, the battery has been on charge all night, and it's showing a 100% charge. Just unplugged it and it went into sleep mode and now shows 0% charge when I plugged it back in. I know if I shut down, and restart on battery only it'll be OK.
  4. I'm not that comfortable with my ability to re-install all the drivers without screwing something up. Is there a way to do it safely? Also, by upgrading windows do you mean to a newer version?
  5. crownver said:
    It is an aftermarket battery but it's my third battery and it worked fine when I got it. As of now, the battery has been on charge all night, and it's showing a 100% charge. Just unplugged it and it went into sleep mode and now shows 0% charge when I plugged it back in. I know if I shut down, and restart on battery only it'll be OK.
    There's a good chance that replacing the battery will resolve the issue. Reinstalling all the drivers or the OS from scratch is free and it may also resolve the problem.
  6. OK, I'll give it a try and report back.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Battery Components