Your question

Strange battery charge problem

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Battery
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 22, 2013 4:27:03 AM

Hi all, I posted this previously but I think it must have been in the wrong category, no answers.

I have an Acer 1690 laptop running windows XP SP3. New power supply which seems to work fine, newish battery. I can run on the power supply no problem. The battery charges fine, and I can unplug it and run on just the battery, UNTIL it reaches full charge. Then it shows a discharged battery. Anywhere up to that point I can unplug it and it will work fine, showing anywhere up to 98%. When it does this, it will go into sleep mode. If I shut down and restart on battery only, it shows nearly full charge and works normally.

Any ideas on what I can do?

More about : strange battery charge problem

a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2013 1:30:13 PM

Are you using an original battery? I found a thread where the OP had the same issue and replacing the battery with an original resolved the issue.
m
l
January 22, 2013 1:35:15 PM

I agree, some of those after-market batteries are not the bargain they are made out to be. Otherwise, I suggest updating windows and reinstalling all of your drivers.
m
l
Related resources
January 22, 2013 5:11:51 PM

It is an aftermarket battery but it's my third battery and it worked fine when I got it. As of now, the battery has been on charge all night, and it's showing a 100% charge. Just unplugged it and it went into sleep mode and now shows 0% charge when I plugged it back in. I know if I shut down, and restart on battery only it'll be OK.
m
l
January 22, 2013 5:13:59 PM

I'm not that comfortable with my ability to re-install all the drivers without screwing something up. Is there a way to do it safely? Also, by upgrading windows do you mean to a newer version?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2013 6:34:20 PM

crownver said:
It is an aftermarket battery but it's my third battery and it worked fine when I got it. As of now, the battery has been on charge all night, and it's showing a 100% charge. Just unplugged it and it went into sleep mode and now shows 0% charge when I plugged it back in. I know if I shut down, and restart on battery only it'll be OK.
There's a good chance that replacing the battery will resolve the issue. Reinstalling all the drivers or the OS from scratch is free and it may also resolve the problem.
m
l
January 22, 2013 7:36:24 PM

OK, I'll give it a try and report back.
m
l
!