Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My Home Built Rig Specs (Advice Needed)

Last response: in Systems
September 7, 2012 2:25:57 PM

Hi, I am looking to make a computer for playing games like Cod4, Cod5, MW2, Valve Games, Minecraft, Battlefield 3, etc. I plan on editing montages and frag movies with Sony Vegas and Adobe After Effects. I also plan on using Cinema 4D a lot as well. For games like battlefield I am looking to get at least around 60fps on ultra settings (That may not be accurate with the cards listed) and 70 to 80 fps or more on Call of duty games. For video editing i plan on having some pretty large files, because right now I am editting a montage that may be more than 10 minutes long, and for Cinema 4D stuff I want the rendering to be as fast as possible so I can get more stuff done.

I would also like to know of any places where I can get these items for a cheaper price (if you do find some where link me please :wahoo:  ) and if there is any part I could save money on by downgrading or some thing that would be helpful. I am trying to keep it under $1000 and right now it is just over that much.

One last thing...if there is any thing I am missing on the specs please tell me what it is. THANKS in Advance :hello: 

Case---Raidmac Typhoon ATX Mid Tower Case ATX-312WS (Amazon $40)

Processor---AMD FX 8120 8 Core Black Edition (Amazon $150)

Motherboard---ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard (NewEgg $100)

Ram---Kingston Technology HyperX 8GB (2x4gb) 1600mhz (Amazon $40)

Graphics Card--- Evga GeForce GTX 670 FTW LE ($400 Amazon)

OR

AMD Radeon HD 7950 (Amazon $330)

Power Supply---A Power AK 750 Watt 204 pin ATX PSU w SATA & PCIe Black (Amazon $33)

HDD---Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (NewEgg $80)

Disc Drive---ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk (Newegg $20)

Sound Card---Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE ($30 Amazon)

Keyboard---Razer Arctosa Gaming Keyboard Black (Amazon $40)

Mouse---Razer Abyssus High Precision Optical Gaming Mouse ($32 Amazon)

Mousepad---Razer Goliathus Omega S - Control (Fragged) ($12 Amazon)

Operating System---Windows 7 Home Premium (Ill get it from a friend or something)
a b B Homebuilt system
September 7, 2012 2:37:30 PM

Hell no... the FX-8120 sucks for gaming, what your budget?

btw... you might want to take a look at my signature builds.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 7, 2012 3:30:14 PM

The FX-8120 and HD7950 are fine.

m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 7, 2012 3:50:00 PM

Wisecracker said:
The FX-8120 and HD7950 are fine.

in what universe? for a tiny bit more you can get a i5 3570k and that will rape the hell outta the FX-8120.
m
l

Best solution

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
September 7, 2012 4:14:06 PM

Some thoughts for you:

1) Good planning on using a less expensive $150 cpu with a top $400 graphics card. The graphics card is the most important component for high FPS or more eye candy.

2) No so good on the FX8120. First of all, few games use more than 2-3 cores, so a 8 core cpu is mostly unused. It is good for your multicore enabled editing apps. Bulldozer was a gaming disappointment. The work done per clock is much lower than Intel.
For gaming, the FX-8120 is less effective than even the $70 Intel G630
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...
I really think you need to step up to a 2500K or 3570K.
If you live near a microcenter, they will sell you a 2500K for $170, or a 3570K for $190.

3) I am not familiar with A-Power psu's. But, there is no way that a $33 psu of 750w can be any good at all.
A cheap psu is the last place to economize. A cheap psu will not deliver it's advertised power, and if it fails, it can destroy anything it is connected to. Stick with known quality brands such as Seasonic, PC P&C, Antec, XFX, and Corsair.
A GTX670 or 7950 will do fine with a good 500w psu that has two 6 pin pci-e power leads.

4) Current motherboards all have decent HD sound. No need for a discrete sound card. If you really want, you can always add one later.

5) With a sandy or ivy bridge cpu, you should look at a Z77 based motherboard. It will be about the same $100.

6) Plan on buying your own copy of Windows 7. If you are thinking of piracy.... DONT!
a b B Homebuilt system
September 7, 2012 4:19:36 PM

geofelt said:
6) Plan on buying your own copy of Windows 7. If you are thinking of piracy.... DONT!

LOL... whats your excuse? "torrents full or viruses" and stuff like that? :lol: 

Edit: not that i support piracy but there is absolutely nothing different from a (highly seeded) torrented copy of windows than from the original 100$ version (a professional programmer told me that) the core file are THE SAME and the "cracks" used to activate those programs simply (and safe) modification that simulates an original activation (some go as far as disabling the security system that's exclusively in charge of "anti pirating" but this doesn't make the program "less safe")

BTW.... i do not blame you if you believe that torrented software is unsafe (some are tough... you just gotta know what to look for) companies have payed a LOT of money to ensure that... of course, you would need a really high level of knowledge (like i do) about how a business works to know why companies do that...

i know that piracy is qualified as "stealing" but THAT'S IT there is no such thing as security problems about pirating stuff (but you gotta know where to look and what look for tough...)

Edit2: if you want an more accurate explanation about why people think pirating is wrong, let me know ;) 
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
September 7, 2012 4:39:47 PM

Who said anything about "unsafe"?
Piracy is stealing, plain and simple.
Anyone who condones it should be banned from the forum.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 7, 2012 4:45:21 PM

geofelt said:
Who said anything about "unsafe"?
Piracy is stealing, plain and simple.
Anyone who condones it should be banned from the forum.

hahahaha i knew you would said that ;)  that's what i LOVE about my "special job" on the capitalism pilars.... you can practically control people's mind.

i don't blame you buddy... i don't blame you, have a nice day.
m
l
September 7, 2012 8:28:50 PM

geofelt said:

Wasn't thinking of piracy
m
l
September 7, 2012 8:30:45 PM

Best answer selected by KrizmaOG.
m
l
September 7, 2012 8:32:21 PM

idroid said:
Hell no... the FX-8120 sucks for gaming, what your budget?

btw... you might want to take a look at my signature builds.

My budget is around $1000.
m
l
September 7, 2012 8:57:50 PM

geofelt said:
Some thoughts for you:

2) No so good on the FX8120. First of all, few games use more than 2-3 cores, so a 8 core cpu is mostly unused. It is good for your multicore enabled editing apps. Bulldozer was a gaming disappointment. The work done per clock is much lower than Intel.
For gaming, the FX-8120 is less effective than even the $70 Intel G630
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...
I really think you need to step up to a 2500K or 3570K.
If you live near a microcenter, they will sell you a 2500K for $170, or a 3570K for $190.

3) I am not familiar with A-Power psu's. But, there is no way that a $33 psu of 750w can be any good at all.
A cheap psu is the last place to economize. A cheap psu will not deliver it's advertised power, and if it fails, it can destroy anything it is connected to. Stick with known quality brands such as Seasonic, PC P&C, Antec, XFX, and Corsair.
A GTX670 or 7950 will do fine with a good 500w psu that has two 6 pin pci-e power leads.

4) Current motherboards all have decent HD sound. No need for a discrete sound card. If you really want, you can always add one later.

5) With a sandy or ivy bridge cpu, you should look at a Z77 based motherboard. It will be about the same $100.

my replies to your questions

2) In the future couldnt games begin to use more than 2-3 cores? And should i get like a 4 or 6 core CPU if i go with an AMD. Also what CPU should i get thats good for gaming and editting thats around the same price.

3) So if you could tell me a good decent priced power supply and how many watts it needs to be, that would be great

4) the only reason i put it on there is because i heard that with a modded driver you could get the same audio quality as a Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio'

5)the only reason im going with AMD before Intel cores is because of my budget and in my opinion intel's are more expensive because they are slightly better and because of the Intel brand name...im also trying to get high quality equipment for as little money as possible because its cheaper than making a PC off some where like ibuypower.com which is like adding $200 on top of the PC just because of the name
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 7, 2012 9:12:10 PM

Get this and read this

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 7, 2012 10:27:31 PM

You guys are full of it.

That 0.3 additional frames in BF3 will really make a big difference, huh?

m
l
September 10, 2012 1:58:25 PM

idroid said:
Get this and read this

Thanx for this site ive needed something like this its really helpful!
m
l
!