Status
Not open for further replies.

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
Hello. I have a motherboard and CPU (990xa and phenom 1055t) all i need is a power supply but i don't have much money. I was looking at this power supply but for some reason can't find much info on it. It is so cheap and from a good brand what do you guys think?

Notes: i use a HD 7750 which uses next to no power and i won't be overclocking. Also the website that this is on is very good i order stuff from them all the time it comes so quickly.

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950AC9606&vpn=MKNPSVT500&manufacture=Others

Solution
You are correct in that you require very little power (<200W)so in theory, any old PSU will do.
Having said that, the difference in cost between a cheap PSU and a solid brand PSU isn't huge and could be totally worth the extra.

There's a bunch of things to consider when buying a PSU, namely-
Cost
Does it have enough power?
Does it actually deliver that power?
Does it have the right connectors?
Quality of components
Warranty

There's some details here for Muskin PSUs but there's not a lot of info.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page645.htm

Thermaltake are a decidedly hit and miss brand. The TR2 series is not their finest hour and it's been through so many revisions and model numbers it's hard to tell which one you are...

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

May i ask why it's a better choice? (not saying it's not) it's the same wattage and same price but only after a mail in rebate.

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
You never want to go with a cheap unknown brand for the power supply. It may work for a while but if there isn't any specs listed and you can't find any positive feedback on it from other sites, best to avoid it. Mushkin is not known for power supplies.

The Thermaltake gets solid reviews across many retail sites. Seasonic and Corsair power supplies are also popular and stable. I'm guessing you are just wondering why I'd recommend one for the same wattage and price (after rebate). It is more about finding one from a company with a better track record for that item, and also as the other user mentioned, the 12V rails are better for gaming needs.

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

"but what matters is the number of amps on the +12volt rail."

That's true if you actually need the power. Both those power supply's supply more than enough power for my build.

"That thermaltake PSU has more which is always a good thing"

That doesn't make the thermaltake a better PSU that's just one thing that is slightly better. I've personally had bad experiences with thermal take and i highly doubt that mail in rebate would even work. I just don't want to deal with another cheap chinese company.

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

According to some very simple math and not a inaccurate calculator based on guess work both of those power supply's have more than enough power than i need for my PC.

Rammy

Honorable
You are correct in that you require very little power (<200W)so in theory, any old PSU will do.
Having said that, the difference in cost between a cheap PSU and a solid brand PSU isn't huge and could be totally worth the extra.

There's a bunch of things to consider when buying a PSU, namely-
Cost
Does it have enough power?
Does it actually deliver that power?
Does it have the right connectors?
Quality of components
Warranty

There's some details here for Muskin PSUs but there's not a lot of info.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page645.htm

Thermaltake are a decidedly hit and miss brand. The TR2 series is not their finest hour and it's been through so many revisions and model numbers it's hard to tell which one you are getting.

My general recommendation for entry level PSUs are the Corsair CX430/500 and the XFX Core450/550. The XFX is a very good PSU with a 5year warranty and high quality internals from Seasonic. There are a lot of other options too, but those two tend to be the cheapest on offer that maintain a high standard.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.