Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GTX 670 in an AMD Mobo and CPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 20, 2012 7:12:37 AM

Hey everyone, I keep deciding on this one, it's really hard to differentiate Intel Core i3-2120 with AMD Phenom II X4 965 in gaming, video rendering and stuff. But my real concern is, I want to choose AMD over Intel since it's cheaper and i3 only has dual core (unclockable), while the 965 has quad core (clockable). I will be using an aftermarket cooler and overclocking this. Now my concern is there is no AMD motherboard that supports PCie 3.0 x 16, while right now my choice was GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX with PCie 2.0 x 16. Will this affect my overall experience since GTX 670 FTW interface is a PCie 3.0? I will post the specs. so you can see more about it. Note : To those people who recommend me a i5-2500k, please don't I'm here for concern, I like Intel but my budget is only for AMD. To most of you that want to know, I have a Crucial M4 SSD 128 GB included in my build, so it maybe a substitute for the power of i5-2500k.

GPU : EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB - $409.84 (NextWarehouse.com)

CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.40GHz AM3 Quad-Core OC - $110 (Newegg)

Mobo : GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX AMD Mobo - $99.57 (Amazon)

My cooler would be COOLER Master Hyper 212+ so my CPU might be overclockable to 4.0+ GHz

More about : gtx 670 amd mobo cpu

a b Î Nvidia
July 20, 2012 7:43:47 AM

You need to base a decision like this on the type of game you are going to play and how the different architectures perform with these games.
You also need to look at the balance of your PC. What resolution will you be playing at ? Could you get a slightly cheaper Graphics card or a cheaper version of the one you are looking at in order to afford a better CPU in the first place ? You don't need to worry about PCIE 3.0 its not going to make a huge difference. Single frames at best.
Personally if I had to choose SSD or i5 2500K, the CPU wins hands down everyday.

Mactronix :) 

Score
July 20, 2012 8:00:18 AM

It will be played at a 30" inch TV (I don't know about the screen resolution of it), gonna play Crysis 2, BF3, Metro 2033, Just Cause 2, GTA 4 w/ ICenhancer, and other current games in the market. Reaching for the ULTRA settings, I really don't want to change the GPU, it will be GTX 670 because I think it's not an overkill in a 30" display. Doing also some video editings, designing and the SSD is much of an help with it. I decided to overclock this to keep up with the i5. Since I don't want to get an i3 over this since it's not for enthusiast like me.
Score
Related resources
July 20, 2012 8:08:09 AM

OCing any AMD cpu will not help you about the listed game. You need a i5 cpu of course. Gtx 670 is only match with intel cpu, like i5.
Score
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
July 20, 2012 8:20:46 AM

you are over estimating what an SSD will do for you; drop it and get an i5.
Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
July 20, 2012 8:27:26 AM

Well ok I respect that you have a budget and have made a decision that fits with that.
Its not like your going to be experiencing unplayable frame rates with a lesser CPU than a 2500K but the difference for both gaming and video editing would be noticeable if you could see both systems side by side.

As you are making a conscious decision to sacrifice game play for video editing capability by sticking with the SSD over the better CPU. (Which I don't really know enough about to say say for sure but would suspect actually would work out better with a faster CPU and no SSD anyway) have you looked into and considered this CPU http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-Processor-Edition-Sock...

They are reported to have a good success rate at both over clocking and unlocking to full 6 core chips. Worth consideration.

Mactronix :) 
July 20, 2012 8:28:51 AM

mubin said:
OCing any AMD cpu will not help you about the listed game. You need a i5 cpu of course. Gtx 670 is only match with intel cpu, like i5.

What are you talking about? the only game he mentioned that really takes a hit on is BF3 and that's only if hes running on absolute Ultra Settings in multiplayer. The GTX 670 is a beast graphic card for any platform whether it be AMD or Intel. Most games are GPU limited and not CPU, if your comfortable getting the 965 and overclocking it, you will achieve good results, albeit not quite and high marks as an i5. However it won't be so dramatic that you'll notice a severe lack of performance...... that's ridiculous lol
Score
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
July 20, 2012 8:37:30 AM

mactronix said:

(Which I don't really know enough about to say say for sure but would suspect actually would work out better with a faster CPU and no SSD anyway)

you are 100% correct an SSD will not help with video editing, at least not that way the OP has their system configured.
Score
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
July 20, 2012 8:45:54 AM

rage33 said:
What are you talking about? the only game he mentioned that really takes a hit on is BF3 and that's only if hes running on absolute Ultra Settings in multiplayer. The GTX 670 is a beast graphic card for any platform whether it be AMD or Intel. Most games are GPU limited and not CPU, if your comfortable getting the 965 and overclocking it, you will achieve good results, albeit not quite and high marks as an i5. However it won't be so dramatic that you'll notice a severe lack of performance...... that's ridiculous lol

yeah ridiculous . .
Score
July 20, 2012 9:45:19 AM

Best answer selected by Cyb3rw0lf.
Score
a c 79 Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
a b å Intel
July 20, 2012 9:58:00 AM

Agreed, drop the SSD ...... and invest in a decent CPU.

Son No. 3's Dual Boot System .....

Boot to Windows:

SSD -= 15.6 seconds
HD - 21.2 seconds

Load MMO:

SSD = 45 seconds
HD = 45 seconds
Score
July 20, 2012 10:02:04 AM

Ha! Skyrim has been patched to run much better and no longer suffers that greatly, the rest of the games are 4 to 10 FPS difference, I clearly stated that the i5 is obviously going to be the best performer, however the OP would have completely adequate gaming with the AMD CPU......... "we all know the intel is the greatest in the world and AMD is terrible....." lol ridiculous
Score
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
July 20, 2012 10:13:38 AM

rage33 said:
Ha! Skyrim has been patched to run much better and no longer suffers that greatly, the rest of the games are 4 to 10 FPS difference, I clearly stated that the i5 is obviously going to be the best performer, however the OP would have completely adequate gaming with the AMD CPU......... "we all know the intel is the greatest in the world and AMD is terrible....." lol ridiculous

it wasn't a matter of AMD vs. intel, it was a matter of sacrificing on a CPU to get an SSD. only a fool (or fanboy) would pass on a better cpu to have an SSD which would not help in gaming performance.

or do you care to make another erroneous claim that SSDs help in gaming performance like your statement that most games are gpu dependent? which is the only reason i posted that benches even though you want to make it out as a amd vs intel thing . . .
Score
July 20, 2012 11:07:00 AM

I used SSD since I don't want to use HDD, I based this on performance. I'm not a fanboy, my budget says so about it.
Score
July 20, 2012 11:39:16 AM

Anonymous said:
it wasn't a matter of AMD vs. intel, it was a matter of sacrificing on a CPU to get an SSD. only a fool (or fanboy) would pass on a better cpu to have an SSD which would not help in gaming performance.

or do you care to make another erroneous claim that SSDs help in gaming performance like your statement that most games are gpu dependent? which is the only reason i posted that benches even though you want to make it out as a amd vs intel thing . . .

I never stated anything about an SSD..... Your original comment came off as to say the only way he would appreciate his PC performance would be to get an I5. That was my only point.... I agree with you and the Intel i5 would be the way to go if it was my money however the OP stated that he was good with the AMD, I'm just saying that the the performance difference would not be astronomical.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
July 20, 2012 1:38:33 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!