Looking for Advice For Futureproofing my PC

johnda1986

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I am looking to upgrade my motherboard, ram, and cpu on my current computer. I am tied between an AMD build and an intel build, the AMD obviously being cheaper. My buddy keeps telling me to hold off on buikding a new pc because of the new i8 chipsets coming out in march/april of 2013. For the most part I am not too worried about that since I know the current technology is far superior for what most games require. I am going to provide my two different builds and I am looking for opinions on those or your own insight. I want to futureproof my computer for the next 4+ years.

My current build is on a socket 775. I have my q6600 overclocked to 3.5 on my asus P5N-D mobo on 4 gigs of mushkin ram.

My other components that would transfer into my new system:

750w coolmaster power supply
nvidia 670
Antec large size case ( can't remb the name)
Corsair h100 water cooling
WD black HD

Intel route: (for my intel route im not sure on the mobo...I was looking into this sabertooth mobo but its sold out everywhere)

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Master 8 gigs

AMD Route:

CPU: AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz
MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+
RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Master 8 gigs

THe game I am running 90% of the time right now is Guild Wars 2!

Are you doing any heavy editing/photoshop work? if not then the 2600 is no use, hyperthreading isn't used in gaming.
2500k is the gamers choice for Sandybridge chips,
and the new Piledrivers are due out from AMD so if you go Amd hold on a month or so, even if the new chips aren't what you want, there should be a drop on the current stock pricing
Moto

johnda1986

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Ya I was not sure if the 2600k or 2500k would be better but it seems like the 2500k is the gamers choice. This is mainly for hardcore gaming...nothing else other than browser + gaming multitasking sort of stuff.