Black screen crashes and more during gaming-PLS HELP!

Shadow Legacy

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Ok, this might be long, but I intend to best explain the problems I've been having lately. Sorry for the long post

First off these are my PC specs:

BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

Windows 7 64 Bit

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 1000W PSU ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Full Tower

Problem: About 2 and a half months ago I needed to buy replacemenst for all my computer components after a short literally fried my mobo and everything on it. So I had a friend(who's been in IT for over a decade) help me build this rig. I had absolutely no problems running anything on Ultra. I've played BF3, Crysis 2, Sleeping Dogs, Batman AA, and Skyrim with no issues.

Fast Forward to August 28, 2012, I picked up Guild Wars 2 and it ran fine with no issues either, same thing with Dark Souls prepare to Die edition. No issues until this past Tuesday(9/4/2012). I was playing Guild Wars 2 with a friend and after about 2 hours my game froze. No biggie I thought, freezes happen(maybe only once to me, but still they happen) so I closed the program and restarted the game...only for it to freeze 2 more times within 20 minutes. The third time a window popped up quickly, I couldn't read it in time but it was along the lines of: "Guild Wars 2 has unexpectedly stopped working due to a graphics driver not working. Please make sure you have the latest drivers installed." So I did just that and there was an newer driver available(301.42 I believe, I had 300.?? Sorry can't remember)After it installed I turned off my computer and decided to clean it out. And yes it was quite dusty, I used compressed air(not the can an actual machine I have) and dusted it out. I didn't really get on after that and called it a day.

Then the next day till today(9/7/2012) is where all hell broke loose. I will try my best to describe each incident.

Guild Wars 2: I logged on the next day and after playing for roughly 5 minutes I got a Black Screen crash. I had to hard reset cause no other commands worked. This happened again only this time I was kicked back to the desktop and it gave me a crash report to submit to Arenanet. From then on anytime I play GW2 it will give me a crash report after a few minutes

League of Legends:Anyone who's played this knows LoL doesn't take much to run. I've been playing leagues for more than a year now and any problems I've had are due to Riot having server issues. Not this time though. I started up a custom game after the GW2 fiasco and during the load screen I get another Black Screen crash. Yet again needed to hard reset my system. I uninstalled and re-installed LoL. The problem still persisted, but it was sporadic. I would get 5 games in then it crashed or it crashed when it loaded. On LoL it kicks me out of the game back to desktop without reason, like I closed out myself.

Batman Arkham Asylum-The game loaded up fine with the settings I always played on, I was idle just looking at where to go next and it crashes giving me a black screen with a dialog box saying along the lines "Batman AA has unexpectedly stopped working" Never happened before. I'm playing the Steam version of the game

Sleeping Dogs-This one threw me for a loop. It happened this morning. I was playing normally and about 10 minutes in it gave me a black screen with a dialog box saying "the required plugin for this application could not be found, your computer will now restart." Again, never had an issue playing this before. This game is also running on steam-NOTE: Mind you I have never had any issues with Steam in the past.

Civilization V- Got past one screen in the tutorial and then came the Black screen of death. Hard reset ensued

Also even web browsing, Mozilla randomly crashes as well and on Chrome I got random "Missing plug-in" alerts, then it goes back to the page I was viewing.

Things I have tried: Aside from updating my graphics driver and Cleaning out my entire system I did a few other things. I did full scans with my anti-virus and advanced system care but yielded the same results. Ran memtest and it found no errors. Right now I'm speculating it's the graphics card. Why? cause it's the most expensive thing in my machine and of course it would be that(it's always the expensive part, right?...).

Please keep in mind this could be something simple, but I'm really not that smart, unfortunately. I'll get it out of the way I'm stupid, there. I used to suffer from migraines years ago and now they're starting to come back cause of this S$%^ I hope someone takes the time to fully read this post. Thank you in advance.

Thoughts as I read it:

- If that RAM is really running at 1866 that is probably the issue. That's stress that the memory controller on the CPU does not like at all, and some G.skill modules are (from what I hear) known to cause extra stress. Intel will void your CPU warranty if you tell them you ran this memory.

- The Cooler Master PSU is made by FSP and has questionable quality. It SHOULD easily handle this rig though.

So, I read it all. Probably a bit too much info there at the end, but it's always better to have too much info.

To sum it up, the PC worked great for a long time, but started to have issues like crashes and errors. This got much worse after you cleaned it using an air compressor. Most or all games now crash, and even web browsing produces errors.

1. Remove the side cover while the PC is running and verify that the CPU fan and the Video card fan are spinning properly.

2. Download HWMonitor and look at your CPU core temps and GPU temps.
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
Report what you find.

3. Download and run CPU-Z
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
Look at the SPD tab (you may need to select a different slot in the drop down menu) and find the column for 1333mhz... it will say something close to 667Mhz at the top, pick the closest one.
Then write those numbers down and adjust the DRAM settings in the BIOS to match those. You can leave the timings on auto.

4. Download and run memtest from a disk, overnight.
http://www.memtest.org/

5. Re-seat the RAM and video card.

I would like you to review this little write-up on how to properly clean your computer, also:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/computer_cleaning_101_complete_guide_dust-free_pc

That's probably enough to try for now :)

Shadow Legacy

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Ok I check my temps and GPU on idle was 39C and underload around 79-max settings on games(I have no idea what's a good range)CPU is running around 25-30C idle I will check again underload.

Both cpus fan and Gpu fan are spinning fine

I will run memtest overnight,Gotta find a disk to write it on

Shadow Legacy

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
This occured about 10 minutes ago:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1a