New PSU - Won't Power Up

gfaus

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
I just installed my new 430W Altrec PSU, but cannot get my MoBo to fire up. I connected the power cable to the board and also hooked up the cpu fan cable. When I turn on the switch on the case nothing happens, the PSU doesn't start nor do any of the components. The MoBo does have power though because the LED is on. What could it be?

I had to replace the PSU because my computer would inadvertently shutoff. When troubleshooting I just hooked it directly the AC outlet and started it quicky and it made some wierds noises and was fried (smelt real bad). Could this have damaged anything else besides the PSU?

Thanks.

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
sorry, i can't answer your question, but i have a semi related question. A brand new power supply (enermax 465) just taken out of the box, if you plugged the power cord into it and turned it on, should it do anything, or do you have to have it attached to your mb for it to "start up"...just courious, because it didn't do anything when i tried that and i don't want to spend 4 hours attaching all the cords from it to the mb if its dead?!?

"sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick"
*grabs a stick and places it into the flames; mmmm, smores*
%Think before you act would be a good motto%

gfaus

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
I think you must still connect it up because the MB starts up the power supply. I have heard ways of manually doing this -- search the forum.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Normally it should spin the fan for around .5-3 seconds. You can manually turn it on by connecting the green wire to a black wire with a short piece of wire.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

gfaus

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
Ok. I'll give that a shot. The fan spins on both the CPU and the chipset fan. I tried a entirely different PSU and it didn't work either. But my new PSU worked on a different machine.

I did end up buying a new A7N8X and a 2500XP barton CPU. But I hate to see a nice A7M266 go to waste.

TRENDING THREADS