Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Coolermaster extreme Duo 650w good enough ?

Last response: in Components
January 22, 2013 11:17:22 AM

Hey guys, this is my first time posting at Tom`s hardware :) .
Firstly , here is my system:

mobo: DP67BG-P67 ~ Intel Burrage
cpu: intel i7 2600k @ 3.40GHz (no overclock)[With a CoolerMaster HYPER N620 cooler]
ram: 2x4GB KVR1333D3N9 ~ Kingston brand
psu: Coolermaster eXtreme power duo 650w
fx: Forsa 8600 gt 1GB
case: CoolerMaster 690
hdd: 2 x 500gb
2 x 80gb
cooling: cpu - has a CM Hyper N620
case - has 6 other 12cm fans in.[3 standard black, 2 green, 1 blue]
- I have a slot cooler, the VIZO propellers.

So to the problem, I`ve built and upgraded this system from parts over the years I bought with birthday/Christmas/work money, and I`m finally going to buy myself a graphics card. :D 
So last week I found a guy selling his Asus Gtx480 for a good price, hes shown me it works and all, so that`s not a problem.
The problem is that it needs an 8-pin AND 6-pin power connecter. My psu only has 2x6-pin connectors. I`ve read around and can`t find any reviews or information about my psu and if it could run this FX card without any problems. I do have an adapter to change 2 molex plugs into an 8-pin plug. So if my psu isn`t powerfull enough, im going to have to save and upgrade it first :/ .
I would love some advice...
Hope to hear from you guys soon :) .

More about : coolermaster extreme duo 650w good

Best solution

January 22, 2013 12:04:33 PM

you will need a better psu as i have a gtx 480 and they suck lots of power from the +12 rails and your psu supplies 36 amps across both rails 18amps each and that card requires 42 amps to be available in the +12v rails Sorry :) 
a c 308 ) Power supply
January 22, 2013 12:08:25 PM

wakoavo said:
Hey guys, this is my first time posting at Tom`s hardware :) .
Firstly , here is my system:

mobo: DP67BG-P67 ~ Intel Burrage
cpu: intel i7 2600k @ 3.40GHz (no overclock)[With a CoolerMaster HYPER N620 cooler]
ram: 2x4GB KVR1333D3N9 ~ Kingston brand
psu: Coolermaster eXtreme power duo 650w
fx: Forsa 8600 gt 1GB
case: CoolerMaster 690
hdd: 2 x 500gb
2 x 80gb
cooling: cpu - has a CM Hyper N620
case - has 6 other 12cm fans in.[3 standard black, 2 green, 1 blue]
- I have a slot cooler, the VIZO propellers.

So to the problem, I`ve built and upgraded this system from parts over the years I bought with birthday/Christmas/work money, and I`m finally going to buy myself a graphics card. :D 
So last week I found a guy selling his Asus Gtx480 for a good price, hes shown me it works and all, so that`s not a problem.
The problem is that it needs an 8-pin AND 6-pin power connecter. My psu only has 2x6-pin connectors. I`ve read around and can`t find any reviews or information about my psu and if it could run this FX card without any problems. I do have an adapter to change 2 molex plugs into an 8-pin plug. So if my psu isn`t powerfull enough, im going to have to save and upgrade it first :/ .
I would love some advice...
Hope to hear from you guys soon :) .

Hi - haven't seen a review of that PSU, but CM "extreme" series PSU's I have seen
are all on the "Lemon List", meaning bad. Here's a sampling, courtesy of johnnylucky.org:

Cooler Master
Model Watts Problems and Issues Reviews
Elite Power 350 Lousy efficiency. Does not have two +12volt rails as advertised. No Over Current Protection as advertised. No Over Power Protection as advertised. Hardware Secrets
Elite Power 400 Poor efficiency. Noise and ripple levels very high. Hardware Secrets
Elite Power 460 Not 460 watt as advertised. Identical to Elite Power 400 watt model. No over current protection as advertised. Hardware Secrets
Extreme 2 475 Not 475 watt as advertised. Voltages drop below minimum allowed. Ripple and noise increase above minimum allowed. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 400 Very Poor efficiency. Ripple and Noise above maximum allowed. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 460 Not a 460 watt power supply as advertised. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 500 Very Poor efficiency. Ripple and Noise above maximum allowed. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 550 Burned during load tests. Not 550 watt as advertised. Could only deliver 500 watts. Very Poor efficiency. Hardware Secrets
eXtreme Power Plus 600 Burned during load tests. Not 600 watt as advertised. Could only deliver 450 watts. Voltages regulation out of spec. Very Poor efficiency. Hardware Secrets
GX-650 650 Failed efficiency rating. Failed load testing. Medicore voltage regulation. Poor DC output quality on 3.3V rails. Outdated design. Hard OCP
GX-750 750 Cannot handle heat at 750 watts. Ripple issues on the 3.3V rail. Noise level on +3.3V and +5VSB above maximum allowed. Questionable capacitor quality. Poor Voltage Regulation. Efficiency lower than advertised. jonnyGURU, Hardware Secrets, Hardware Heaven

Note that 5 of those lemons are extreme power plus. I'd find a diff PSU.
m
l
Related resources
January 22, 2013 1:14:57 PM

Best answer selected by wakoavo.
m
l
January 22, 2013 1:16:59 PM

Damn, this is what I feared. :( 
Thanx a lot kenny3105 and toyftw for your quick reply`s :) .
In the research i have done, I`ve only come across bad new concerning CoolerMaster psu`s.
What PSU would you guys suggest I look for ? I would probably buy a 750w or larger anyway, just wondering of you guys know some great ones :) .

and also, Kenny3105, do you think getting a Gtx480 at this time is a smart move ?
m
l
January 22, 2013 1:33:19 PM

if i were you i would get a gtx 660 or 660ti depending on what you have to spend also the 480 is older tech now so you are better getting a gtx 660 as it will perform slightly better than a 480 and less power hungry and the 660 non ti needs only one 6pin pci power connector and the ti version 2 six pin power connector and you wont have to change your psu as it will do the job

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-...

as for psu look at this
http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supply-units/tx-series-...
m
l
!