driedupfish

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Hi all, I have read up on what Intel turbo boost is. Sounds like I can get a bit more performance without doing any actual OC.

Here is my question:
I don't plan to OC my i5-3570k just yet. I have only OC my GPU a bit. Is it safe to leave the Turn Boost mode on? Or would that wear out the CPU?

Here are my specs:

i5-3570k
HD 7950
8 gb ram
Win 8 64-bit

You can definitely turn on turbo.

What Turbo is:

When the CPU is not using all four cores, 2 or 1 especially, it will automatically increase the clock to 3.6GHz(2 cores) or 3.8GHz(1core) to increase performance for that application that can not use more than 2 or 1 cores.

EDIT : One more thing, ANYTHING within Intel stock specification, default settings in BIOS in other words, is perfectly fine to run the CPU at.

And OCing really does not degrade your CPU as much as you think. For example. Your CPUs stock voltage is 1.2v, at 1.2v the 3570K can hit 4.2GHz, that is 400MHz above turbo and 800MHz above stock speed. As long as the CPU is well cooled you can easily run the CPU at 4.2GHz without ANY effect on the CPUs lifetime.

Once you start adding more voltage, above 1.2v, that is when the CPU gets effected in a negative way, yet even this effect is very minimal.

As Novuake said you are safe to continue to run turbo boost it wont cause an issue. The best way to think of turbo boost is smart overclocking. As what it does is check the temperatures that processor is running along with the number of cores in use. Between these you will get a boost to performance without worrying about damaging the processor.

Ah yes, neglected to mention the temperature variable... :D

Oh and have not seen you around in some time! Holidays?

twelve25

Distinguished
You can just overclock via Turbo boost, too, which is probably what I would do anyway to save power. Just set the turbo multipliers up a few extra than normal.

Turbo on isn't overclocking in my view since that's the default setting benchmarks would have been tested on.