Sign in with
Your question

New PC Shuts off and restarts after playing Guild Wars 2?

Last response: in Systems
September 7, 2012 9:01:34 PM

I just built a new PC:

Asus M5A97 Mobo
AMD FX-6100 CPU
Corsair TX-650 PSU
XFX Double D 2GB HD7850 Graphics Card
Kingston 128 GB SSD
Seagate 2TB HDD
8GB Gskill DDR3 1600 Ram
V7 24" HD Monitor
Lite on Cd/DVD
Asus CD/DVD Writer
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Win 7 Pro 64bit

***************Let me preface this by saying I'm virtually clueless when it comes to overclocking a computer.***********

I had it overclocked using the Asus software that came with the motherboard, I used the auto-tuning software and set it to fast and never set it to extreme. I never went into the bios and did anything with overclocking at all.

System has been running fine since I built it (about 1 week), then I got Guild Wars 2 in yesterday and started playing it and the thing runs great for a few hours then out of nowhere it just shuts down, sits there for a minute or two then restarts.

So I went into the bios and reset the system to system optimized defaults and rebooted (tried doing this in the asus software and it didn't seem to do anything?). I have not tried playing the game since then.

After it shuts off and starts up again the first thing I did both times was check the temperatures, which were fine (hottest it got was last night and that was only 40 degree C). According to AMD the top end temperature for this CPU is 70 degrees C.

Motherboard temps never get above 27 degrees C.

Any idea what could be causing the problem?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 7, 2012 10:26:22 PM

Run a stability test --- I like OCCT. After a one-hour run, it will open a folder with 6 or so charts showing volts and temps. Be careful with the separate GPU test. It's a scorcher (actually, it's Furmark, and really goes beyond anything your system will ever encounter) and will drive temps and voltages quite high.

AMD OverDrive (AOD) also has a stability test with a dozen or so memory checks for system stressing.

m
l
September 8, 2012 4:11:50 AM

So I downloaded and ran both the OCCT program and the AMD Overdrive program, ran all tests on the OCCT program and ran the stress test program on the AMD overdrive program and received NO errors at all and the PC never shut off during any of the tests?

I did revert the PC back to it's optimized defaults before I ran these programs, should I have left it overclocked then ran these program again? Or does it matter considering these programs push the hardware so much?

Anything else I can do to try and see what is causing the problems?

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
September 8, 2012 4:27:56 AM

Okay, I had a similar experience on my amd setup. I down clocked my ram just a little and it solved all my problems. Also make sure that your ram is at the proper voltage. If your doing any overclocking always disable AMD Cooln Quiet in the BIOS.
m
l
September 9, 2012 4:18:40 PM

So I ran OCCT again last night and the CPU:o CCT test ran flawlessly for one hour with no errors, then I ran the CPU:LINPACK test for 3 hours, first time I had AVX Capable Linpack checked and the thing ran for a while(over 1 hour but not sure how long exactly) and when I came back I see that my PC had rebooted and was sitting at the black window asking me is I want to start windows normally, in safe mode etc.. SO I started normally and then ran the same test without AVX checked. It ran for a while(again not sure how long) and rebooted again, this time it was sitting at my login prompt.

After the 2nd time I ran the OCCT:LINPACK I decided to look in my event viewer under administrative tools and under Administrative events I find a Critical Event Event 41, Kernel-Power error, I look back in the log and find that each time the PC had rebooted or shut down while running OCCT or playing Guild Wars 2, I received the same exact error. After looking that error up on the internet I couldn't find much information that explained what it could be, or what could be causing it?

Does anyone know what could be causing this error? Could it be a faulty CPU? A faulty Motherboard? ???

I'm stumped?

Any information or help that anyone could offer would be appreciated!!
m
l
September 9, 2012 7:55:59 PM

Have you tried doing all this testing without the overclock? that could be the problem. also make sure you have all your drivers up to date. I know I had some errors with GW2 When I did not have up to date drivers on my GPU. (dont get beta drivers) beta drivers messed my machine up even more. Now I'm running fine.
m
l
September 9, 2012 8:24:28 PM

kcsmacker said:
Have you tried doing all this testing without the overclock? that could be the problem. also make sure you have all your drivers up to date. I know I had some errors with GW2 When I did not have up to date drivers on my GPU. (dont get beta drivers) beta drivers messed my machine up even more. Now I'm running fine.

Yup, Seems to run fine when it's not overclocked? I'm nowhere near adept at knowing anything about overclocking, so I've tried allowing the asus AI suite to take care of the overclocking for me, it has an auto tuning function and you can click on fast or extreme then hit the button to "Level up" your system. I've never had it go to extreme and only did fast, each time I've done that I've had problems, so I go back into the bios and set the PC back to optimized defaults.

The front screen of my bios has a big button where you can set your PC to power saving mode, normal mode, or turbo,each time after I set the PC back to optimized defaults, then boot it up, then reboot and go back into the bios and set it to turbo, it does the exact same thing when I play GW2 or run OCCT. I guess the only way this PC will allow me to over clock it will be doing so in manual mode, unfortunately I'm almost clueless when it comes to which setting in manual mode to touch, and what to set that at, so I guess I'm not going to be able to overclock this PC?

I would think it would be as easy as setting the CPU to whatever MHZ, the ram at whatever voltage and something else, but??????

Anyone have any advice for easy overclocking without blowing up my PC or melting something?

BTW, each time I try to OC this PC I make sure to go into the bios and shut off cool & quiet like everyone recommends.
m
l
September 9, 2012 9:06:13 PM

Well Personally I have never liked these new "easy" methods of overclocking. I recently bought a new asus board and I think im going to keep from buying asus if they keep forcing this crap on people. I find the best most stable way of overclocking is doing so manually. If you really want to find out how all you have to do is google your cpu info and maybe motherboard and you should find easy guides. i found this one that uses a gigabyte motherboard but the settings you set are probably mostly the same. IE clock speeds, memory speeds etc.
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/46237-bulldozer-ov...

Before you even worry about overclock this system lets worry about the random shut downs. If you have everything set to normal (NO overclocks on anything) and have updated drivers for everything! GPU <-------. Like i said above the GPU driver not being up to date can cause gaming crashes.
m
l
September 9, 2012 9:55:29 PM

I did just find out that I don;t have the latest bios version in my PC, i was going to go into the bios and use the EZ bios updater and update it, should i do that? Is there anything bad that can happen when I do that? Should I turn off my firewall before doing that?

Aslo I noticed in the bios advanced section that there is a section for unlocking the core, it has a warning that something bad should happen if I do that? I thought my CPU was already unlocked because it's the black edition FX-6100?

If that is not enabled, could that be what is causing the problems on my PC?

As you can see I'm clueless when doing this kind of thing, lol.

m
l
September 9, 2012 10:02:44 PM

Whenever Updating Bios just make sure you have everything backed up just in case. The CPU core unlocker is for the processors for example like the phenom 3 core. The 3 core is really a 4 core that they have kept from being a 4 core for some reason or another. Sometimes you can unlock these in the bios to turn a 3 core to a 4 core. So no it has nothing to do with your CPU.( I dont think. I have never messed around with the FX series)
m
l
September 10, 2012 2:32:26 PM

kcsmacker said:
Whenever Updating Bios just make sure you have everything backed up just in case. The CPU core unlocker is for the processors for example like the phenom 3 core. The 3 core is really a 4 core that they have kept from being a 4 core for some reason or another. Sometimes you can unlock these in the bios to turn a 3 core to a 4 core. So no it has nothing to do with your CPU.( I dont think. I have never messed around with the FX series)

I reinstalled the latest graphics drivers for my 7850 and flashed the bios to the latest one(any other drivers need to be updated?), then I set the bios to turbo, made sure to set low fan speed to 200RPM and turned off cool & quiet, then I re-ran the OCCT:LINPACK test for 2 hours and no errors, then I ran the OCCT:GPU test and got rh same event 41, kernel-power critical error and a crash? Set the bios back to optimized default, set fan speed and turned off cool & quiet, re-ran the OCCT:GPU test and ran the OCCT:p ower test and it ran all the way through without any errors.

Seems like the PC is stable when set to default settings, but as soon as I use either the bios or the Asus AI suite to overclock it, even a little bit the things has stability issues? I'm guessing the software is doing something wrong?

Any ideas?
m
l
September 10, 2012 6:03:43 PM

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO frustrated with this new POS computer, now it shuts off (not crashes sorry) when I play guild wars 2 unlcocked.

I'm playing along fine no problems and all of a sudden the system just shuts itself off, sits there for a minute or two without me doing anything and starts back up again?

Any idea what this could be? Think it's a faulty power supply?
m
l
September 11, 2012 12:06:58 AM

I figured out what the problem is, the brand new corsair TX-650 PSU is crap, the cooling fan is not spinning making it overheat and therefore shutting down my PC. Probably didn't work out of the box as I don't remember checking to see if it was spinning, only to see if it came on and powered everything up. :( . Now I'm probably not going to be able to use my brand new PC for about 1 month because of shoddy quality control at Corsair. Nice, NOT!

Thanks for the input, i will be back once I have my new PSU and everything is working again.
m
l
September 11, 2012 10:31:36 PM

Just an update in case anyone cares:

Corsair didn't care one bit that the Power supply I bought had only been used less than 1 week (maybe 15 total hours tops), in fact they completely ignored that fact when processing the RMA request.

So I had to pay to have it shipped to them, USPS parcel post (cheapest price I could find) $18.71 which includes delivery confirmation and $100.00 insurance. According to the USPS, it will take about 1 week for the package to get there. According to Corsair, it will take 3 - 5 days for them to process the RMA once they receive it, then another 4 -5 days for the new PSU to get to me.

All together I'm out Almost $19.00 extra bucks and 3 weeks minimum lost time with my new PC, because Corsair can't be bothered to have a solid quality control program in place. If this isn't a great reason to never purchase another Corsair product again, nothing will be! They couldn't even offer up an apology for selling crap products in the first place. Good job Corsair, really good job. NOT!
m
l
September 22, 2012 1:44:12 AM

Another update about the useless support that corsair provides, they got my PSU on 9/18, they logged it into their system at 1PM their time. The RMA update page statess that clearly along with it takes them up to 24 hours to act on the RMA. It's now after 6:30PM their time and they still have not sent me a new PSU. SO now I have to wait until at least next week for them to get off their arses and finally send me out a new PSU that they say will take at least another 3 - 5 days to get back to me.

DO NOT buy a product from corsair, if you do, regardless of how old it is they won't care about you as one of their customers, they will take their sweet time replacing their defective product and there is nothing you can do about it other than wait for it to arrive. Corsair sucks, plain and simple!
m
l
September 29, 2012 3:17:56 AM

Well if you did a little research instead of assuming it is your system, your not the only one with the issue. I and many others have the same thing and its not overheating, not your power supply, it is the game itself. there is bad coding that is conflicting with the video card and shutting it down. On some systems if the video gets shutdown then it will shut itself down. Research is key.
m
l
September 29, 2012 4:37:40 AM

gm2whalen said:
Well if you did a little research instead of assuming it is your system, your not the only one with the issue. I and many others have the same thing and its not overheating, not your power supply, it is the game itself. there is bad coding that is conflicting with the video card and shutting it down. On some systems if the video gets shutdown then it will shut itself down. Research is key.

Guess you didn't bother reading the part where my NEW power supply's fan wasn't working at all and the part where I said I had tested my system with BOTH OCCT and ASUS AI suite, which BOTH caused my system to turn off then back on again when my power supply cooled off? Since I've been waiting for my RMA replacement PSU to come in I installed GW2 on my older system and played it as often as I wanted to without any crashes or having that system turn off then on again??? From what I've seen GW2 is one of if not THE BEST MMO to come out in a very long time! Sure it has some problems, but what MMO doesn't when it first comes out? Besides GW2's problems are nothing compared to the problems that AOC, AC, WWII online and a host of other MMO's had when they first came out, but I'm guessing you weren't playing MMO's when those games came out, you're probably way too young.

m
l
October 6, 2012 3:56:21 AM

After receiving the new power supply I've now been able to play Guild Wars 2 at the highest possible settings for many hours without any shut downs, crashes or other problems. My system is running fine, stable and cool oc'd at 3841MHZ. I'm probably going to try and up it to 4K - 4.1K if I can get it to remain stable and cool, but so far it loves the settings it's currently at.

The shut downs as stated before had nothing to do with the code that's in GW2, IMHO as a degreed software engineer, the code in that game seems just fine!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 6, 2012 11:13:46 AM

alazeer said:
So I downloaded and ran both the OCCT program and the AMD Overdrive program, ran all tests on the OCCT program and ran the stress test program on the AMD overdrive program and received NO errors at all and the PC never shut off during any of the tests?

I did revert the PC back to it's optimized defaults before I ran these programs, should I have left it overclocked then ran these program again? Or does it matter considering these programs push the hardware so much?

Anything else I can do to try and see what is causing the problems?

Thanks

Good to hear you have fixed your problems.

It is important to stress-test your over-clocked rig. One of the reasons I suggested OCCT is that the charting reflects your voltage lines under load ...

Look through the old charts (prior to changing the PSU) and look for reported *ripple* or volt drops/swings. This info is used to determine your level of 'clean power'

It would be interesting to compare your old PSU to your new PSU.

m
l
October 6, 2012 6:07:20 PM

Wisecracker said:
Good to hear you have fixed your problems.

It is important to stress-test your over-clocked rig. One of the reasons I suggested OCCT is that the charting reflects your voltage lines under load ...

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww165/Back_at_the_Ranch/AMD%20Overlords/Benchmarks/OCCT_2011-12-06-12h31-Volt12.png

Look through the old charts (prior to changing the PSU) and look for reported *ripple* or volt drops/swings. This info is used to determine your level of 'clean power'

It would be interesting to compare your old PSU to your new PSU.

Problem with OCCT was that whenever the test stopped with an error I never got the test results, probably because the PC would shut off then on again, and I think once or twice it rebooted too. I'll make sure I look thought the folder and see if I might have missed the results. Right now I'm happy as a clam for building the pc the way I did, because it seems like whatever I throw at it it keeps asking for more :) .

m
l
!