New ssd loads windows too quick? 6850 not scaling quickly.

powertaco

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Recently built a new computer with a SSD for the boot drive. I have two 6850s in crossfire. I changed the scaling option in ccc to 0% and it scales fine (no black bars), but when I restart or turn on the computer, it loads windows without the scaling set (black bars) for at least 15 seconds. After a bit, my screen will go black and go back to the correct scaling.

Is this because my SSD is loading windows well before my graphics cards know what is going on? :eek: Is there a way to set some sort of priority boot for my video cards so that I'll never see those disgusting black bars again?

powertaco

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

CCC is installed on the SSD. Maybe I'm just not used to the quick boot up speed. Anyone able to load the correct scaling before the desktop appears or have a similar problem/annoyance?

powertaco

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

I don't have an option to turn off the on-board video, but my main video was already set to pci-e. My motherboard is ASRock Z77 Extreme4 with an i5 3570k and 16 gigs of ram. I can see the ccc loading, but it doesn't switch the scaling for another 10-20 seconds after. And yeah, my boot time is around 40 seconds (haven't officially timed it). My last computer had the same set up, except it had a different motherboard with an i7 920 and a normal hdd for the boot.

dingo07

Distinguished
My system is in my sig, and it boots in 26 seconds to the Windows screen where I have to type my password in. My XPS M1530 laptop with a 240GB SSD boots in less time, but there I have to swipe my finger to log in. Either way, I'm at the desktop and ready for anything in less than 30 seconds for both.

powertaco

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
But yeah, problem is still here. Boot up time is great, but it still boots up with the black borders all around. After about 15-30 seconds, the scaling option from CCC kicks in.

maui67

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

I don't know as much about Ivy Bridge and I tried to search Google, but could the HD4000 graphics on the Intel i5-3570K be interfering?
Can the integrated graphics be turned off?
Could the HD4000 drivers be interfering?

Those may be stupid questions, but thought I'd post them in case they are actually relevant.

powertaco

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Did 1 more google search and with the right keywords, I found a solution. Seems others had this issue too.

"Best answer from razer_76
I found a fix for the overscan issue

Go to the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\video{####....}\0000

Create a new DWORD:

"DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan" = dword 0x0000

Note: there might be several {####....} , should be the one with most of the ATI settings.

Source:http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=62100 "

cbrunnem

Distinguished

mine does the same thing

rig below