Sign in with
Your question

External IPMI

January 22, 2013 2:45:47 PM

I'm an admin for a software test lab, and we've just had our KVM system start failing. 48 of our 128 ports are unwilling to show anything beyond the basic text resolution. 640X480 doesn't even show up. This KVM (Raritan) is over 9 years old now, and it would cost a bundle to repair it, nearly as much as it would to get a fully new system. Our budget won't tolerate such a large expense without a fight for the funds all the way to the top of the company. So, I'm trying to find alternatives.

I would like to see if I could find an external IPMI device, something that would hook to a system's PS2/USB/VGA ports and connect to the network for a remote console. (I would also like to see something like this for home use as well.) Preferably something that would support a 1280X1024 or higher resolution and a virtual media function. Many of our newer system have IPMI/iDRAC/iLO, so I'd love to push my testers onto that, and just get a module like this for the ~60 older systems without this functionality. Does anyone know of such a device, and where would I get it?

More about : external ipmi

!