srankin6

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
I am trying to set up a powerline network to two out-buildings, each with a sub-panel fed from the main building where the internet cable is located. I am having problems presumably because of the circuit breakers? Is there a work around the issue of the breakers?

No, all of the power line connections need to be on the same circuit. If, maybe, there is new tech out there to get around this (although I don't see how they can), you can get the latest info from the vendor of whatever product you got.

For an idea, which at least in my head looks to be sound, are the two buildings close enough for WiFi to reach from one to the other? You can setup a powerline network in one, then stick a WiFi AP on that network, another WiFi AP in the other building and get the network signal to that second building without the powerline network over WiFi from the one with it.

srankin6

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

Unfortunately the buildings are about 500 ft away.

I guess you now have an internet-free sanctuary for reading, bird watching, painting, boat building, toe picking.

See what the equipment vendor had to say. Maybe chat with an electrician. While this is technically a networking issue, because of the way it uses the power lines, you may get better results with one of those guys than a network tech. And I don't suggest you try to jump the connections yourself with a wire, your relatives will find that scraping your charred remains off the pannel to be unpleaseant.