Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

To SP1 or not to SP1, that is the question.

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
Share
February 11, 2012 2:40:58 AM

HI all.

I have installed a Win 7 Ultimate 64 and have been installing all the updates as Microsoft releases them, all except SP1.

The reason I am procrastinating with this update is that I have read in other forums users are experiencing problems with the installation and partial installations with undesirable consequences.

My question: Because I have been updating/installing all other updates as they are released, do I really need to install SP1, what am I missing by not installingSP1? :o 

Regards

More about : sp1 sp1 question

February 11, 2012 2:54:38 AM

Do not install service pack 1. A few days ago something messed up my computer shortly after i installed SP 1 to give it a try.

i am inclined to think (though i do not know for sure) that service pack 1 caused the problem like random reboots while playing games or watching movies.

Had to uninstall SP 1 but it was still happening. I installed windows 7 again...everything all right now.
February 11, 2012 3:17:02 AM

addzy94 said:
Do not install service pack 1. A few days ago something messed up my computer shortly after i installed SP 1 to give it a try.

i am inclined to think (though i do not know for sure) that service pack 1 caused the problem like random reboots while playing games or watching movies.

Had to uninstall SP 1 but it was still happening. I installed windows 7 again...everything all right now.



Hi there.

Yes, this is exactly the kind of comments that I have read about.

Regards
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 3:48:44 AM

SP1 has installed just fine on every computer I have ever installed Windows 7 on. Literally dozens of different hardware configurations.
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 4:06:36 AM

I have been running SP1 on my Win7/Pro/64 since day 1 of it's installation. Never a problem. Same on 3 other recent system builds for friends. Do what you like but it is trouble free for me.
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 4:09:12 AM

Go ahead and install SP1.

Service packs not only have new features but a basically all previously released patches/updates rolled up into one pack.

A tip...Have SP1 handy for if you ever have to reinstall windows. That way you can install SP1 without having to sit there and wait for all those patches to individually download.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/whats-inclu...
February 11, 2012 4:34:33 AM

I thought I read that SP1 was required for AVX instruction support on Sandy Bridge processors.

I was never sure if programs have to directly support AVX to show any performance advantage or if it passively works on all applications.. but either way I took the plunge early on and didn't have any issues.

I had high CPU usage for a hour or two, while it recompiled something OS related.
But I've never had any issues.. so last week I deleted the filed needed to uninstall SP1 from Disk Cleanup.
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 5:09:07 AM

Janset said:
HI all.

I have installed a Win 7 Ultimate 64 and have been installing all the updates as Microsoft releases them, all except SP1.

The reason I am procrastinating with this update is that I have read in other forums users are experiencing problems with the installation and partial installations with undesirable consequences.

My question: Because I have been updating/installing all other updates as they are released, do I really need to install SP1, what am I missing by not installingSP1? :o 

Regards


Yes, get it. Use the link that Skaz posted. Download it first!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/whats-inclu...

It doesn't only have the updates and patches but other fixes that were not released as updates.
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 6:39:21 AM

If SP1 was bad for you, then Microsoft would have recalled it >_>
February 11, 2012 6:53:51 AM

Some of them might not be having any problems with SP1 while many are having problems.
February 11, 2012 6:58:31 AM

skaz said:
...A tip...Have SP1 handy for if you ever have to reinstall windows. That way you can install SP1 without having to sit there and wait for all those patches to individually download.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/whats-inclu...


This guy talks sense. I have SP1, IE9 and all my drivers/apps on a flashdrive.

My own routine for a fresh install of Windows 7 is:
DISCONNECT INTERNET!
Install Windows
Turn off UAC (Useless)
Turn off Drive Indexing (Useless)
Turn off System Restore (Useless. Not once have I seen it do what it's supposed to.)
Install Service Pack 1
Install IE9
Install graphics and sound drivers
Install Anti Virus
TURN ON INTERNET!

I reckon it cuts about an hour off all the arsing about, and I don't get any "failed" updates.


a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 7:14:12 AM

Bombhead said:
......... it cuts about an hour off all the arsing about, and I don't get any "failed" updates.

Let me help u to make it even better : )

Use RT Se7en Lite @ http://www.rt7lite.com/ to slipstream the service pack in 1 install iso file + the updates, minus the features u will not use, to make your win7 run smoother.

RT Se7en Lite is developed by Rockers Team to customize windows 7 operating system and to make it lite. You can add wallpapers, Icons, themes, integrate updates, drivers, language packs, applications, remove components, enable or disable features, unattended installation settings, bootable ISO and USB creator , etc. It will be very easy to operate and changing the style of your windows 7 operating system.
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 3:12:49 PM

nikorr said:
Let me help u to make it even better : )

Use RT Se7en Lite @ http://www.rt7lite.com/ to slipstream the service pack in 1 install iso file + the updates, minus the features u will not use, to make your win7 run smoother.

RT Se7en Lite is developed by Rockers Team to customize windows 7 operating system and to make it lite. You can add wallpapers, Icons, themes, integrate updates, drivers, language packs, applications, remove components, enable or disable features, unattended installation settings, bootable ISO and USB creator , etc. It will be very easy to operate and changing the style of your windows 7 operating system.


I always wanted to spend a day looking into this. Thanks for the link and brief description.
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 3:16:40 PM

skaz said:
I always wanted to spend a day looking into this. Thanks for the link and brief description.

It is a cool little program : )

U can gut w7 to 800MB : )
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 3:25:21 PM

nikorr said:
It is a cool little program : )

U can gut w7 to 800MB : )


wow! that's nuts. I was just debating if a 4GB flash drive would be sufficient for this experiment. Maybe I'll give it a try sooner then later.
February 11, 2012 3:30:35 PM

People had issues with SP 1 when it first came out sure, but I haven't had a single problem since it was officially released and I've installed it on the 5 computers in my home, the 3 computers in my g/fs home, and the other 9 computers my friends have me work on. Trust me, SP1 is fine
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 4:51:10 PM

Just another voice in support of SP1...

Just think about the numbers of people who have gone through the process? Even a failure rate of 0.001% will result in enough people complaining to make some forums seem like its a 0.001% sucess rate :lol: 

I dont know anyone who has had an issue.

If you worry about this.. .you are probably the kind of person who does not go out for fear of being hit by an asteroid!!

But.... do make sure you have a backup... which ofc you do have anyway -coz you would be stupid not to.

Cheers
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 7:29:30 PM

Hi

If you see reports of problems installing SP1 were they of exact same model or motherboard as yours?
if not ignore them.

one cause of problems with installing SP1 is malware infection which user is not aware of.

another is oem customised version of Windows which has been setup for both Intel and AMD cpu's and does not follow Microsoft recommendations (possibly loading AMD cpu device driver for Intel cpu after SP update because of bad registry entry)

Windows sp1 update should make a copy of existing Windows so in event of problems you can un-install it.

Eventually update support for Windows without latest service pack will be withdrawn as has happened with old versions of XP & Vista.

regards

Mike Barnes
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2012 7:58:10 PM

Do this:

1) make a backup image to another drive (can be USB) using Acronis True Image or even the Windows 7 image tool.

2) Install SP1 and any other updates.

If you have any issues you can restore the backup. Easy.
a b $ Windows 7
February 12, 2012 2:48:00 PM

I wonder how many people end up in this and other forums with issues that could have been avoided by installing SP1 and the subsequent updates? MS does not issue these things to cause problems in the customer/user population. And it does cost them money to develop them and issue them.
February 12, 2012 11:21:18 PM

Hi all.

Thanks for the good response from all who contributed. I will instal SP1 within the next few days. :D  and let you know I went.

Just as a point for those who may be interested, I do back up to an external slave drive onor about a monthly basis. I do this with two different programs just in case one of the images fail, despite being verified as has happened to me on the odd occasion.

My main cause for concern were the reports of crashed operating systems and Windows refusing to accept genuine status after installation and thereby forcing me to jump through hoops to get it validated again, and here I am not talking about bootleg copies.

Regards

.
a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2012 3:31:17 AM

Janset said:
Hi all.

Thanks for the good response from all who contributed. I will instal SP1 within the next few days. :D  and let you know I went.

Just as a point for those who may be interested, I do back up to an external slave drive onor about a monthly basis. I do this with two different programs just in case one of the images fail, despite being verified as has happened to me on the odd occasion.

My main cause for concern were the reports of crashed operating systems and Windows refusing to accept genuine status after installation and thereby forcing me to jump through hoops to get it validated again, and here I am not talking about bootleg copies.

Regards

.

Than u would reactivate again. Look, this is so simple thing to do.
Download the SP1 and do nothing.
Do not install any other updates before installing SP1, its not needed, its all in the SP1 already.
Update after its all done.
U said, u have a back up, so don't worry.
BTW, did u ever installed W7? Than u probably remember how easy that is.
Install, done.
February 13, 2012 9:28:06 AM

Hi there.

Yes I did install Win 7 and it went like a dream. I am hoping that the SP1 will go equally as well. When I had XP Pro it installed SP 1 and 2 without any problem yet others reported problems, so this hopefully will go just as easy. I just wanted to know what experiences the other guys on the forum had with SP1. :ange: 

Regards
a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2012 9:33:42 AM

Janset said:
Hi there.

Yes I did install Win 7 and it went like a dream. I am hoping that the SP1 will go equally as well. When I had XP Pro it installed SP 1 and 2 without any problem yet others reported problems, so this hopefully will go just as easy. I just wanted to know what experiences the other guys on the forum had with SP1. :ange: 

Regards

Cool, good luck!
February 13, 2012 10:54:07 AM

My order of things

Instal win7 (preferably slipstream sp1)
Turn on firewall/install MSE
Auto-updates
Install Drivers
Use ninite to install majority of programs I use
Manually install the last few programs I use

I haven't fond any way more effecient than this so far. I haven't had any issues with SP1 or auto updating so far. And I currently take care of about at least 6 computers that are used regularly in the family, and so far none of them really come back to me with any problems.
February 21, 2012 2:35:17 AM

Hi guys.

Good news. I installed SP1 on both my C drives and all went as smooth as silk. :bounce: 

Thanks for all the input.

Regards
November 10, 2012 12:02:11 PM

Dogsnake said:
I wonder how many people end up in this and other forums with issues that could have been avoided by installing SP1 and the subsequent updates? MS does not issue these things to cause problems in the customer/user population. And it does cost them money to develop them and issue them.



The problem occurs when installing SP1. Users attempt to do what is recommended by MS and results are sometimes very good
as in my first Win 7 computer. I now have three days attempting to install SP1 on my second Win 7 computer. Type something like 'Windows 7 Service Pack won't install' in any good search engine and read trough the results. I doubt MS would have issued a service pack to cause problems but, SP1 does.

M Long
a b $ Windows 7
November 10, 2012 12:50:56 PM

Eagle-7 said:
The problem occurs when installing SP1. Users attempt to do what is recommended by MS and results are sometimes very good
as in my first Win 7 computer. I now have three days attempting to install SP1 on my second Win 7 computer. Type something like 'Windows 7 Service Pack won't install' in any good search engine and read trough the results. I doubt MS would have issued a service pack to cause problems but, SP1 does.

M Long


Seriously... look at my previous post...

In my work - I help manage our workstation portfolio globally.. which is about 85k machine... about 50k of them Win 7 when we pushed out SP1. I can honestly say it was about the least problematic push we done. were there no problems? ofc there were some... but when you think of the abuse people put their machine through.. and the crap they do with with them...I am amazed its as good as it is.

So...you were unlucky.. or may be you are not very good at looking after machines and they damaged byVirus/Malaware/general abuse.. I dont konw... but please try and maintain an appropriete sense of perspective.

Cheers
!