Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

New Build: $2500-$3000 USD

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
September 7, 2012 10:53:27 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: October
Budget Range: $2500-$3000
System Usage: Internet, gaming, Photoshop, Video Rendering, BOINC, Virtual PCs
Are you buying a monitor: Not at this time
Parts to Upgrade: Full System Build
Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I shop at NewEgg
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe
Your Monitor Resolution: 1600x1200 x2 at this time

Additional Comments: Looking to reduce noise as much as possible with out sacrificing performance.
And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Time to build a new system; have a chance to use a credit from work to build it.

Other Notes: I try to build a system that lasts for a while; my last build was in 2007. For this build I’ve been given a credit from work to build a new system. I want to build some future proofing into it, so I do know it will be over built initially.


Here is what I’ve selected so far: (prices as of 09.05.12)
569.99 Intel Core i7-3930K
329.99 ASUS Sabertooth X79
109.99 CORSAIR H100
244.99 XFX ProSeries P1-1000-BELX 1000W
99.99 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 1866
99.99 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 1866
399.99 GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB
159.99 COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP
99.99 SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 128GB SATA III SSD
149.99 Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB
149.99 Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB
24.99 LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer
139.99 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM

Current Total: 2544.87 (not inc rebates, as these will change before October)


My thoughts about my parts selection:

CPU – Can’t justify the cost of the i7-3960X for the minimal gain, nor do I really want to drop down to the i7-3820. (and I’ll admit the geek in me likes having a 6-core cpu)
MB – Have had great success with ASUS MBs, so I like to stick with them
Cooler – For the price and past experience with Corsair cooling products I chose this one.
Power – Power is a bit high for the system as build, but want to build in for loss over time, and for the possibility of adding a 2nd card in SLI
Memory – Open to suggestions, looking for reliability and compatibility, I may want to buy a matched 32GB set, or even just kick it up to 64GB (not sure why at this point). I do know I want to build a RAM drive from some performance increase and to keep temp files off the SSD and the possibility of getting rid of the paging file, if my apps will allow it)
Graphics – Preference is Nvidia, the 670 seemed a good compromise in price/performance
Case – Open to suggestions on this one.
SSD – Choice was based upon reviews, open to other suggestions
HDs – For mass storage, will be used in a mirror setting for redundancy, I’ve lost data in the past.
CD/DVD – Probably should put in a Blue Ray burner instead, just haven’t looked into it yet.
OS – At min need Pro for virtual PCs, not sure of a reason to move to Ultimate


Open to all recommendations and suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

More about : build 2500 3000 usd

September 7, 2012 10:58:56 PM

Quote:
CPU – Can’t justify the cost of the i7-3960X for the minimal gain, nor do I really want to drop down to the i7-3820. (and I’ll admit the geek in me likes having a 6-core cpu)


The 3960X is definitely not worth it for the price when the 3930K can be clocked to the same speeds or better.

Quote:
Cooler – For the price and past experience with Corsair cooling products I chose this one.


I will veto the H100 - if you're going to do liquid cooling, do the real thing or not at all. Use a strong air fan like the Noctua D14 - you'll get the same results.

Quote:
Graphics – Preference is Nvidia, the 670 seemed a good compromise in price/performance


That's fine.

Quote:
Memory – Open to suggestions, looking for reliability and compatibility, I may want to buy a matched 32GB set, or even just kick it up to 64GB (not sure why at this point). I do know I want to build a RAM drive from some performance increase and to keep temp files off the SSD and the possibility of getting rid of the paging file, if my apps will allow it)


Even hardcore video editing programs won't use all 32GB - that's a bit excessive. And any speeds over 1600 will be a waste because by default your motherboard will run the lowest speeds and timings it can handle, and using anything over 1600 will lead to Intel voiding your warranty.

Quote:
Power – Power is a bit high for the system as build, but want to build in for loss over time, and for the possibility of adding a 2nd card in SLI


Loss over time is a huge moot point, that problem doesn't exist. Even dual 670s won't come close to using 750W - so a solid 750W PSU will cover all your bases.
m
0
l
September 7, 2012 10:59:52 PM

1. The Noctua D14 is better than the H100.
2. 1K watts is WAY too much. All you need is 650w. If you want SLI, get 700w/750w. 1K watts is for quad SLI. Over time, cards get more efficient, so buying a huge power supply isn't going to futureproof this build.
3. Get the 7970. It's better at multi-monitor and the 6GB of VRAM really help.
m
0
l