CPU Temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

gide0n

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Hello everybody, this is my first post here. I've just built a PC, the first time I've actually put one together completely and throughout the the building process I found myself coming to this site over and over again, so I thought I might as well sign up. :hello:

I have now started testing my hardware and today I'm looking at CPU and GPU temps. I ran BF3 for about an hour or so on ultra, and noticed that my CPU temp maxed out at 68c during the test using Real Temp GT 3.70. My question is this, is 68c bordering on getting too hot, and do I need to make plans for heating problems during the summer? At this moment the room temp is 67f and during the summer it ranges anywhere from 67f-73f. I have a front intake fan, a rear exhaust fan, and just installed a top exhaust fan last night. For the most part all the cables are tucked away on the back side of the case, and the the hard drives and DVD drive have been spaced to help with air flow.

gide0n

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Here are my computer specs, I tried to get them into my signature, but for some reason they aren't showing up.

Gigabyte Z77-DS3H -
Intel Quad Core i5-3570k - CPU @3.40GHz 3.80GHz - Balistix Sport 8GB RAM - Windows 8 Pro 64-bit - Corsair Carbide Series 200R Case. I added an additional fan as an exhaust on the top of the case just last night.

The CPU came with stock thermal paste, and from what I read it was best to just leave it as is until I disassemble the heat sink again. As far as overclocking, I don't know anything about how to do it, so as far as I know, I have done no overclocking. I'm a little concerned at the moment

I admit, there are things I just don't know such as overclocking, and using high end cooling systems and monitoring system statistics.

gide0n

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

Unfortunately the budget is $0, I basically put all that I could into what I have. Maybe you could give me an idea of what I should be shooting for as far as cooling methods, and also tell me if I am going to mess up my machine in the meantime. :??:

scottfree1

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Your tjmax is 105c so your fine. I use http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ allows me to set over load temps and actions, if I exceed my max set temp for 3 min it puts my comp to sleep.. Nice desk gadget avail so you can monitor easily..

gide0n

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

First off let me just say thanks to all you guys, this site really seems to have the best users base. Now when you say tjmax, what is that, or better yet, might you direct me to a place I can find out with things like that are, what the limits of my machine are and how I can go about learning when I should start being concerned?

How did you know that 105c is ok for my machine? I will follow that link, that's sounds like something I would be interested in. I will most likely put it right to work.

gide0n

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

I do have some Arctic Silver left over from last year. I left my old PC on and over night the AC went out in the summer... woke up to a 90f house and fried GPU. I tried to apply new thermal paste but there was no hope. As for the application, I never really figured out what method was best. Some people just put a dab and press the item down on top of it, some use the card method. The card method is best I take it?

scottfree1

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

Install the core temp util and the desktop gadget and it gives you the option to show current voltage and tjmax (it finds the # I didn't do anything) on the desktop this is the ONLY gadget I've ever installed and kept using..

Status
Not open for further replies.