robbyv17

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Hello,

I am not only new this site, I am new to building computers. I would really appreciate it if you could give me some idea of what would be enough computer to handle my needs. Essentially, the HTPC will be used to run Linux (XBMCbunto perhaps), SABnbzd, sickbeard, couchpotato, and some web browsing.

Approximate Purchase Date: This weekend, if you guys guide me in the right direction.

Budget Range: $300-400 After Rebates; After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Downloading/watching movies (1080p), browsing the web (including HD streaming from Nexflix, if possible...not necessary though). I will not be using this for gaming.

Are you buying a monitor: No, I will connect to my TV.

Parts to Upgrade: I will need everything, though I do have a large hard drive (I have a 3TB 3.0 USB external).

Do you need to buy OS: No; I will be using Linux

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Anything reputable with a good return policy, just in case

Parts Preferences: Seeing as how I have a 3TB external hard drive, I am thinking that I would like a 120/128 GB SSD. I suppose I could go to half that size if you think it'll be adequate. Also, I don't think I need an optical drive...I will use my PS3 to play DVDs when needed.

Overclocking: I don't think this will be necessary...correct me if I'm mistaken, though.

SLI or Crossfire: Again, I don't think that this will be necessary.

Your Monitor Resolution: Will use with a 1080p TV.

Additional Comments: I would like it to be relatively quiet and not too power hungry (I will like to keep it on 24/7). Also, I have enough room for either a mini ITX or a micro ATX build, so whichever you think is better...

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I'm tired of paying for cable, so I want to "cut the cord," but still be able to get the TV shows I like, as well as being able to download and watch HD movies.

I appreciate any help and advice that you might offer. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Thank you!

Solution
Performance wise, cin19 and my builds will perform almost exactly the same. The only gripe I have about cin19's recommendation is the PSU newegg included in the parts list. 550w is HIGHLY overkill for this type of rig, especially since you won't use a dedicated GPU, and it will be taxing on the efficiency of the rig.

Granted this will only save you a few dollars per year, so it may or may not be of relevance to you.

On a side note, taking cin19's recommendation of a smaller SSD, here's the updated total with a 64GB OCZ Vertex 4 drive.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A6-3650 2.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($76.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock...

Motherboard: ASRock A75M-ITX Mini ITX FM1 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: AMD Performance Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($53.24 @ Amazon)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $394.69
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-07 21:29 EDT-0400)

This would be more than enough for your usage :) I threw in an SSD in there since you requested it! I feel this would be up to the task of anything you throw at it. Very strange not having to include a few components such as Optical Drive or storage HDD as I'm very used to doing that :lol:

nsouter853

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Hello! I agree with the build that mocchan put down (I seem to be agreeing with him on a lot of threads..hmm..what does that say about him?). Although I would almost always say go Intel, in this instance, AMD is a better choice. (Oh my god I just said go AMD with this one...I'm making progress towards a non-fanboy life!)

One thing to remember is that your main bottleneck for this build since you will be downloading/streaming movies will be your INTERNET SPEED. Make sure you have a good connection, run the xfinity speed test online to gauge yourself.

Good luck!

That's actually a very nice combo, however, I don't like the case due to the form factor. If this doesn't concern OP too much, then it's a very good option.

robbyv17

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
I can't thank you guys enough for your feedback. Mocchan, I really liked your recommendation, but if cin19's will be able to perform as well as yours, I can definitely overlook that it has a larger, not so cute case, especially if it'll save me $60. Other than aesthetics, would the first suggestion have any worthwhile advantages?

Performance wise, cin19 and my builds will perform almost exactly the same. The only gripe I have about cin19's recommendation is the PSU newegg included in the parts list. 550w is HIGHLY overkill for this type of rig, especially since you won't use a dedicated GPU, and it will be taxing on the efficiency of the rig.

Granted this will only save you a few dollars per year, so it may or may not be of relevance to you.

On a side note, taking cin19's recommendation of a smaller SSD, here's the updated total with a 64GB OCZ Vertex 4 drive.

Motherboard: ASRock A75M-ITX Mini ITX FM1 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: AMD Performance Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($53.24 @ Amazon)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $344.69
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-07 22:38 EDT-0400)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS