Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD better because of upgradibility?

Last response: in CPUs
January 22, 2013 4:26:41 PM

I've been researching processors lately and it seems like intel pretty much trounces AMD in many aspects (except multithreading). I feel like intel is the obvious choice to go (i3), but......

AMD keeps the same socket for a while. It seems like the AM3+ is good through 2015 at least. Intels processors, however, seem to die off once they have a new chipset....which is gonna happen with Haswell.

So I'm wondering if AMD will be better in the long run for me. I plan on playing a few games, but it doesn't have to be max settings. I've been researching in building a PC and I was really pushing toward intel until I started learning about CPU sockets.

Can anyone confirm or deny this please?

More about : amd upgradibility

Best solution

a c 152 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 22, 2013 4:30:42 PM

linkgx1 said:
I've been researching processors lately and it seems like intel pretty much trounces AMD in many aspects (except multithreading). I feel like intel is the obvious choice to go (i3), but......

AMD keeps the same socket for a while. It seems like the AM3+ is good through 2015 at least. Intels processors, however, seem to die off once they have a new chipset....which is gonna happen with Haswell.

So I'm wondering if AMD will be better in the long run for me. I plan on playing a few games, but it doesn't have to be max settings. I've been researching in building a PC and I was really pushing toward intel until I started learning about CPU sockets.

Can anyone confirm or deny this please?

There is no such thing as future proofing. AMD changes it's motherboards just as much as Intel. If you want to get Intel because it performs better in whatever you are doing then get it.
January 22, 2013 4:31:54 PM

Best answer selected by linkgx1.
Score
Related resources
a c 152 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 22, 2013 4:49:12 PM

Here is something to think about:

Intel has been using the 1155 socket since 2011. Two years later it will be replaced by socket 1150. Time of service-2 years.

AMD started to use socket AM3 in Feb 2009. It was replaced by AM3+ is 2011. Time of service 2 years

So in the end both companies change motherboards ABOUT every two or three years.
Score
January 22, 2013 5:07:23 PM

rds1220 said:
Here is something to think about:

Intel has been using the 1155 socket since 2011. Two years later it will be replaced by socket 1150. Time of service-2 years.

AMD started to use socket AM3 in Feb 2009. It was replaced by AM3+ is 2011. Time of service 2 years

So in the end both companies change motherboards ABOUT every two or three years.

Not so much..

"ASUS AM3 Motherboards Get BIOS Updates, Support AM3+ and Bulldozers.."

AMD had previously stated that the Bulldozer CPUs would require AM3+ motherboards, but it seems they’ve switched plans and gone with their tried-and-tested backwards compatibility route anyway.

http://tech2.in.com/news/motherboards/asus-am3-motherbo...
Score
!