Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

A few questions before I build my first PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 8, 2012 1:57:05 AM

I've been planning to buy a computer and build it, but I have never actually built one before. I have been doing a lot of research the past two months and I plan to buy my parts soon (most likely Tuesday).

There are a few things I am concerned about. I need to know about my PSU and if it is the right amount of watts and how long it will last. Plus, after I buy all my parts I expect them to be nice quality and last AT LEAST 2 years. I'm not concerned with the parts performance because I know what I am going to use my computer for and I know which parts I need.

I also want to know any ways to reduce price, but keep the same quality parts if possible. But I am not too worried about the price getting any lower, the price I have now is just right for me.

And I have one more question off topic. This site seems somewhat slow, I assuming it's all the advertisements. Is there any way to disable ads or speed up the page loading time?

Last thing, the parts I have selected are in this link. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gES2

I would like a few people to reply before I select the best answer because I want to be 100% sure. Thank you for reading to the end.

More about : questions build

a b B Homebuilt system
September 8, 2012 2:10:01 AM

You did pretty good! However, there's a few things that I would personally change :)  I'll be back with a parts list for you!

**EDIT**

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($117.10 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($207.55 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $586.59
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-07 22:14 EDT-0400)

I couldn't reduce the price further without reducing the performance significantly, however, I was able to make a significantly beefier rig for just $10 more! :) 

The PSU you selected should last a very long time, however, it's highly overkill. The 430w unit I selected should do just fine unless you are planning to SLI/Crossfire in the future.
m
0
l
September 8, 2012 2:12:08 AM

Thanks for the feedback (so far) mocchan. I just wanted to add, will all these parts be compatible? I was trying to add that, but the site kept redirecting me. Basically it wouldn't let me edit my thread right after I posted it. I'm not too worried about that though. :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 8, 2012 2:16:58 AM

APNxRPG24 said:
Thanks for the feedback (so far) mocchan. I just wanted to add, will all these parts be compatible? I was trying to add that, but the site kept redirecting me. Basically it wouldn't let me edit my thread right after I posted it. I'm not too worried about that though. :) 

Yes, the parts you selected are compatible :) 
m
0
l
September 8, 2012 2:25:11 AM

mocchan said:
You did pretty good! However, there's a few things that I would personally change :)  I'll be back with a parts list for you!

**EDIT**

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($117.10 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($207.55 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $586.59
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-07 22:14 EDT-0400)

I couldn't reduce the price further without reducing the performance significantly, however, I was able to make a significantly beefier rig for just $10 more! :) 

The PSU you selected should last a very long time, however, it's highly overkill. The 430w unit I selected should do just fine unless you are planning to SLI/Crossfire in the future.

Alright, the graphics card I already selected I will get. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

And I would rather not have a Micro ATX motherboard, I want a regular ATX motherboard. But I would like to ask, is the motherboard I selected nice quality? Do you think it will last long?

And don't worry about the hard drive and optical drive, but I do appreciate those suggestions too.

Last, the power supply unit. Do you really think I would do okay with the 430 watt? That really will help me reduce the price, but I want to know if that PSU will last long, not harm my computer by breaking down, and is it the necessary watts.

Also, would you be able to answer that other question I asked about the website?

Thanks.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
September 8, 2012 2:30:34 AM

The PSU is very high quality, and won't break down your computer over time due to the lack of wattage, so you have nothing to worry about there :) 

Also, yes, the motherboard you have selected will do fine :)  I chose the H77M due to the price.

As for the GPU, if you're getting the GTX560, you won't be too disappointed :)  It's still a very modest card.

Sent a PM, btw :lol: 
Share
September 8, 2012 2:35:38 AM

mocchan said:
The PSU is very high quality, and won't break down your computer over time due to the lack of wattage, so you have nothing to worry about there :) 

Also, yes, the motherboard you have selected will do fine :)  I chose the H77M due to the price.

As for the GPU, if you're getting the GTX560, you won't be too disappointed :)  It's still a very modest card.

Sent a PM, btw :lol: 

Thank you for the PM, I will read it after posting. Thanks again for the PSU suggestion because that reduced my price enough so hopefully I can buy a game. I want to let you know though I will probably not select the best answer until I buy all the parts mostly because there might be a price change in some parts and I also want to hear what other people have to say if anyone else replies.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 8, 2012 2:37:23 AM

You're very welcome! :)  And don't worry, nothing wrong with waiting for more input :D 
m
0
l
September 8, 2012 3:14:20 AM

I would not recommend the power supply by mochan. If you are going to get a graphics card like HD 7850 the minimum requirement is 500W.

430 W is way below the requirement especially when you are going to play games your CPU and GPU will suck the life out of your power supply. I would recommend Corsair 600W (NCIX US ~$70)
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 8, 2012 3:22:56 AM

430w is more than enough :)  The HD7850 will only use around 100 watts, and considering the i3 2120 will only use 65w, that's only a total system load of 165w.

Calculate other components in the rig and that will give you a WORST CASE SCENARIO MAX power draw of around 200-230w.

More than enough with the CX430V2.
m
0
l
September 8, 2012 4:13:59 AM

meat_loaf said:
I would not recommend the power supply by mochan. If you are going to get a graphics card like HD 7850 the minimum requirement is 500W.

430 W is way below the requirement especially when you are going to play games your CPU and GPU will suck the life out of your power supply. I would recommend Corsair 600W (NCIX US ~$70)

First off want to say I am getting the GeForce GTX 560 1 GB, not the Radeon HD 7850. And I think I will have to go with mocchan on this one. One reason is because he has the rank of addiction, which means he is a long time member and I do respect that. And I have been using PSU calculators and none of them have went to 600 watts. I trust the one at Newegg and it calculated it to 410 watts. I don't really know what I was thinking when I selected that PSU, I guess I thought I needed more power or that I was going to upgrade soon (which I am probably not). Also, I am kind of on a short budget right now I don't really need any better performing parts than I selected. If I do upgrade I will do it when I have more money. I do appreciate the suggestion though, thank you.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 8, 2012 4:36:22 AM

My apologies for that, the CX430V2 will work fine with the GTX560 as well as it's not a very power hungry card either :) 

However, I appreciate your trust in my recommendations :) 
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 4:47:46 AM

I ended up getting all my parts, plus a monitor, mouse, and mouse pad for $678.73 after shipping and taxes. You helped me with all my questions, mocchan, therefore I will select your answer as the best. Thank you for all the help.
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 4:49:02 AM

Best answer selected by APNxRPG24.
m
0
l
!