Sign in with
Your question

Nervous, first time build, help!

Last response: in Systems
September 8, 2012 2:02:51 AM

Hello, I just built a new computer for the first time after extensive research about what to do. I'm very nervous!

So we (me and my father) turned it on, only for no display on the screen, the power LED flickering for a split second, the DVD drive not opening (yet blinking an LED) and the hard drive not crunching. Please help, I'm nervous!

Specs:
MSI A55M-P33 FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
AMD A4-3300 Llano 2.5GHz Socket FM1 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6410D AD3300OJHXBOX
Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664BA1067
Diablotek DA Series PSDA250 250W ATX Power Supply

More about : nervous time build

September 8, 2012 2:14:22 AM

You got a really bad power supply. Diablotek isn't a good brand, and 250w is not enough.
September 8, 2012 2:21:01 AM

^ +1

Is the RAM compatible with the system? I know APU's have this issue where you won't get any kind of display/output from your rig if you have compatibility issues.
Related resources
September 8, 2012 2:21:24 AM

obsama1 said:
You got a really bad power supply. Diablotek isn't a good brand, and 250w is not enough.

Last time this happened (I had to get a replacement motherboard from Newegg), it gave me an small 99 in the corner. After calling support and looking it up, I thought I had a bad board, so I sent it back and got a replacement.

I might send back the PSU and get a better one though, after trying it out in a new case with a different power supply tomorrow. Any suggestions for a power supply?

Quote:
Is the RAM compatible with the system? I know APU's have this issue where you won't get any kind of display/output from your rig if you have compatibility issues.

I looked things up and double checked. I might have done a horrible mistake though and got incompatible RAM. I'm still very nervous...
September 8, 2012 2:21:55 AM

dnlhern said:
Last time this happened (I had to get a replacement motherboard from Newegg), it gave me an small 99 in the corner. After calling support and looking it up, I thought I had a bad board, so I sent it back and got a replacement.

I might send back the PSU and get a better one though, after trying it out in a new case with a different power supply tomorrow. Any suggestions for a power supply?

Antec Basiq will do more than enough, preferably something in the 300w range.
September 8, 2012 2:24:38 AM

Also, that's 1066 RAM. Since it's an APU, you want a minimum of 1600.
September 8, 2012 2:26:18 AM

obsama1 said:
Also, that's 1066 RAM. Since it's an APU, you want a minimum of 1600.

Alright. I might as well send back the RAM and Power Supply, get a refund and get better parts. Any suggestions for the memory?

@mocchan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Is this a good PSU?
September 8, 2012 2:32:19 AM

+1 to obsama

I forgot about RAM frequencies for a sec :lol: 

@ OP

Yes, nice quality and more than enough wattage for your rig :) 
September 8, 2012 2:33:52 AM

@mocchan: Thanks.

Any suggestions for RAM?
!