Sign in with
Your question

Audio amd fx 8120

Last response: in CPUs
January 22, 2013 4:45:44 PM

I just built a machine around an AMD FX 8120 eight core CPU, and have chronic audio distortion.

The specs are:
AMD FX 8120, Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3, (2) SATA (1) IDE drives, Nvidia Geforce 650Ti + Geforce 7600GS, 16gigs RAM.

I don't think it's the audio engines because I've used three, and all of them have static in their output to some degree.
1. The motherboard - internal
2. MAudio's ProjectMix i/o - firewire
3. Presonus Audio Box 22VSL - USB 2.0

To fix this, I've tried:
1. Disabling power saving on the CPU
2. Reducing # of cores in use on the CPU (a threading issue?)
3. RAM memory test (clean)
4. Updating any and all drivers throughout the system.

It's a fast machine, and shouldn't be having this problem! Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! Patrick

More about : audio amd 8120

January 22, 2013 5:15:03 PM

All sources? I run my audio from my sat into my comp if I use line in on the back it distorts, the front panel mic input no distortion. Quirky cause mic inputs are diff and usually distortion prone..
m
l
January 25, 2013 9:53:13 PM

Having the exact same issue man! I had to switch back to my old Phenom x4 because the 8 core was taking a *** on me when I tried to do audio work.

If you've got any ideas as to why, help a brother out.
m
l
February 1, 2013 11:29:03 PM

Well, I solved it; But not sure how...

All three audio generators had intermittent static: in the internal motherboard source, the Maudio Project Mix IO on Firewire, and the PreSonus USB interface. My guess was the motherboard.

I tried to replace the Gigabyte MOBO with an equal ASUS version, but it wouldn't take. BSOD all over.

I reinstalled the Gigabyte MOBO because I needed a (semi) working computer, and Ding! No static in the audio.

With the reinstalled Gigabyte MOBO, I also replaced my 2nd video card (an old Geforce 7600GT) with a newer GeForce 610. My primary video card is a Geforce 650ti. Perhaps that the solution was there? The old 7600GT was technically compatible with Windows 7, but no longer supported by EVGA, and not Direct X 11 compliant. Geez, I don't know...
m
l
!