Problem viewing web sites from Laptop

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.firewalls,alt.comp.networking.routers,comp.networks,comp.os.linux.networking (More info?)

After connecting to Internet through either Broadband / Dial Up, i am
able to view all IP configuration correctly by doing ipconfig /all

but when i ping to the DNS / Gateway it itself I am getting the
following

Pinging °ÿ with 32 bytes of data

and all requests time out.

Can anyone tell me why this problem occurs. and what is the solution.

regards,
Sreekanth

On 13 Nov 2004 13:39:52 -0800, K V Sreekanth wrote:
> After connecting to Internet through either Broadband / Dial Up, i am
> able to view all IP configuration correctly by doing ipconfig /all
>
> but when i ping to the DNS / Gateway it itself I am getting the
> following
>
> Pinging °ÿ with 32 bytes of data
>
> and all requests time out.
>
> Can anyone tell me why this problem occurs. and what is the solution.

You need to ask your Micro$oft question in a Microsoft news group, not
linux or unix.

meetsreekanth@gmail.com (K V Sreekanth) writes:

]After connecting to Internet through either Broadband / Dial Up, i am
]able to view all IP configuration correctly by doing ipconfig /all

No idea what that means.
What is ipconfig?
iWhat kind of argument is /all?

]but when i ping to the DNS / Gateway it itself I am getting the
]following

]Pinging °ÿ with 32 bytes of data

That is sure not good. That address is not a valid address!
What happens if you ping the number of the gateway.
What happens if you ping the DNS server number?
What do you have in /etc/resolv.conf?
What is your
route -n
output?
What is your ifconfig -a output?

Bill Unruh wrote:
> meetsreekanth@gmail.com (K V Sreekanth) writes:
>
> ]After connecting to Internet through either Broadband / Dial Up, i am
> ]able to view all IP configuration correctly by doing ipconfig /all
>
> No idea what that means.
> What is ipconfig?
> iWhat kind of argument is /all?
>

> ]but when i ping to the DNS / Gateway it itself I am getting the
> ]following
>
> ]Pinging °ÿ with 32 bytes of data
>
> That is sure not good. That address is not a valid address!
> What happens if you ping the number of the gateway.
> What happens if you ping the DNS server number?
> What do you have in /etc/resolv.conf?
> What is your
> route -n
> output?
> What is your ifconfig -a output?

The output of that will be "'ifconfig' is not recognized as an internal
or external command, operable program or batch file." because Bill is
running Windows :p

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.firewalls,alt.comp.networking.routers,comp.networks,comp.os.linux.networking (More info?)

That it is true this lies in windows environment. I am sorry i had
added the wrong newsgroup pointing to linux.

Please let me know if there is a solution to this problem .

K V Sreekanth wrote:

> That it is true this lies in windows environment. I am sorry i had
> added the wrong newsgroup pointing to linux.
>
> Please let me know if there is a solution to this problem .

The best solution, is to replace Windows with Linux