Desperately Need Help Before Reformat

subsonika

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Hi.

I'm not too techy minded, so excuse my ignorance.

I have a problem with my broadband internet. I have a modem and router providing a wireless connection to a laptop, which is fine, and a lan connection to my desktop, which is the problem.

It seems that when the lan connection uses a lot of bandwidth such as hosting an online game server or just joining an online game, it loses connection to the internet. If I try to use the windows 'local area connection' repair function it tells me that 'IP couldn't be renewed, contact admin', so I either standby and restart or reboot to fix it and all is fine.

I've rebooted the router settings and checked with ISP, who say all is fine and I've used a 'winsock' repair command that I found and have now forgotten.

I use Windows firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials but this happens when it's turned off.

Many thanks

subsonika

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I just fllowed this advice from MS:

'Click Start, click Run, type Msinfo32, and then click OK.
Expand Components, expand Network, and then click Protocol.
You will have ten sections under Protocol. The section headings will include the following names if the Winsock2 key is undamaged:
MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP]
MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP]
RSVP UDP Service Provider
RSVP TCP Service Provider
MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip...
MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip...'

and I have all those entries but I have 12 of the 'MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip...' entries isntead of 6. MS state the extra ones are 3rd party additions......could this be the problem? I have some online store programs installed like 'Steam' and 'EA Origin'.

(The command I used was 'netsh winsock reset')

Thanks

subsonika

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Oh, I say 'before reformat' as if I don't fix this reformat is my only option, but I have a lot of software installed and I'd love to avoid that.