Front panel audio keeps disconnecting without apparent reason

hunted22

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
hello all..

I just got a new computer case, and it has an internal front panel audio header. I also got a new mobo a few months back (Asrock 970 extreme4), but I never used the front panel audio outlet on the main board until now, because my old case had no internal front panel audio header. my audio device is an on board Realtek HD audio, with the latest driver. and never had any issue with it before.

Now, When I connect a mic or a headphone to the front panel, the devices works, but I keep getting a task bar notification from (Realtek HD Audio Manager) that the are unplugged then plugged, and of course the audio disconnect during the second this happen, then it works for like a minute and then this happens again and again. I'm not sure if the issue with the NEW case or the NEW mainboard.

1. Anyone has an idea on whats causing this issue?

2. Is the front panel audio (from the audio plugs to the header) is just a wire extension, or it has some electronic components? I mean can I just multimeter it for a short or a cut, or it is more complicated?

thanks in advance.

I'm going to venture here that is is a problem at the front panel in the connections - I've never seen any extra filters or components within the audio connectors which are simply jacks so checking continuity with a multi-meter would be my first step. Keep in mind that the cable should also be suspect. It should be a realtively easy fix - hopefully.
Hope it helps

hunted22

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Thank you C12Friedman .. I'll guess I'd have to dig it up and hope for the best.
although it's a pain to test the front panel audio, my only concern is if it's a main board issue..