Sign in with
Your question
Closed

7950 running at 100+ c Under full load

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 20, 2012 8:36:42 PM

Hello Again,
I recently purchased a 7950 DD unit from newegg. I got it yesterday and noticed the temp was extremely high under a full load. Is this normal for a card of this nature to get so hot? It got this hot when using FurMark, and running a GUI Miner. I was also gaming last night and it was only getting to around 73 c with medium settings in a more CPU intensive game (TERA). I thought about re applying thermal compound to the card but wasn't sure if that would void my warranty or not. What do you guys think would be the best course of action? This is, if any is needed at all. I just recently ran the FurMark test and it shut off my computer around 105 c, and that was with a 125/0 overclock. I tried going back to default and it still reached 100, but I aborted because I didn't want it shutting off my computer.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 440 (Next on my list to upgrade)
Motherboard: ASUS M4A87TD/USB3
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB
Graphics: XFX Radeon 7950 DD
Power Supply: SeaSonic X750 Gold
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2012 8:54:03 PM

What case do you use and what's the airflow like in your case?

100C is obviously too hot but Furmark can really do a number on a card. Moreso than actually gaming does.

If it turns out there is decent airflow in your case you then you need to contact XFX and they will issue you permission to dismount the GPU cooler and reapply paste and still maintain your warranty or they will have you send the card in to them and they will replace it or do it for you. Those are the two courses of actions unless your case is a stagnant hotbox.
July 20, 2012 9:01:52 PM

I have the Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced with the fans that came with the case. A 140mm intake, and then two 120mm fans that blow air out on the top and top back.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2012 9:26:01 PM

What is your ambient temp - will make a huge difference. Have you tried running the computer with the side off?
-Bruce
July 20, 2012 9:29:10 PM

At idle it runs mid 40's, and with the panel off it still reaches 100c.
a c 107 U Graphics card
July 20, 2012 9:43:02 PM

that shouldn't happen with such a brand new card(unless you manually overclocked it) something would be definitely up with the card if its hitting 100 Celsius near brand new.
July 20, 2012 9:50:20 PM

So what do you guys think then? Contact them and see if i can re apply TP or just exchange/return the card.
July 20, 2012 9:55:46 PM

make sure the fan on the video card is scaling up according to your gpu load. if it isnt, try msiafterburner. i had the same problem, gpu load goes up, temps go up, but fan speed stayed the same. msiafterburner allows you to make custom fan profiles :) 
July 20, 2012 10:04:11 PM

The fan goes up to 100% when its reaching those temps. I've verified this both audibly and when monitoring using CCC/msiafterburner OSD. So its scaling properly.
July 20, 2012 10:09:34 PM

rma it, return it, something. 100c will burn that card up so fast.
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2012 10:32:35 PM

drmcstroks said:
rma it, return it, something. 100c will burn that card up so fast.

He just needs to reply thermal paste on the gpu, there are plenty of vidoes on youtube explaining how to do this.

Sure if he sends it to XFX they will fix it but it will take a lot longer!
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2012 11:26:55 PM

maxh22 said:
He just needs to reply thermal paste on the gpu, there are plenty of vidoes on youtube explaining how to do this.

Sure if he sends it to XFX they will fix it but it will take a lot longer!

Yes it is easy but XFX has stickers on the screws attaching the shroud to the board and if they are removed you're warranty is void. Call XFX first, they will let you do it, you just have to contact them first to keep your warranty.
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2012 12:03:27 AM

The load temperatures as per Anandtech is around 76 degrees Celsius. Idle is around 33 C. So it sounds like, if your case is well ventilated enough, the problem is with the GPU heatsink assembly, either in the contact with the die (usually screws lose), or something else similar. Check to make sure that the card has enough clearance to breathe air, usually by leaving the next slots open to give it a few inches of room. Try taking out the brackets (the long strips of steel usually that blocks the slots that are not used) of the slots underneath the card.
July 21, 2012 1:37:30 AM

Well I talked to XFX and got the ok to replace the thermal compound, but unfortunately that didn't help substantially. Temperatures are still shy of 100c under max load even if i keep the side panel off the case. I also made sure all the screws on the bottom were snug, but didn't look at any of the others.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2012 1:45:17 AM

xvortexx said:
Well I talked to XFX and got the ok to replace the thermal compound, but unfortunately that didn't help substantially. Temperatures are still shy of 100c under max load even if i keep the side panel off the case.

Defective card, RMA. I don't see this happen very often with XFX. Extremely unlucky. Return to retailer if you have had it less than a month. Otherwise setup a return with XFX.
July 21, 2012 1:50:11 AM

I'm not sure if i have the option to return it anymore because i broke the seals on the "do not break seal" stickers with the approval of xfx. I'll talk to them and see if I can, otherwise ill RMA. Thanks for the input everyone!
July 21, 2012 1:50:20 AM

Best answer selected by xvortexx.
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2012 2:17:17 AM

Just deal directly with XFX, their customer service is excellent.
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2012 12:26:42 AM

What has been told to you - use MSI Afterburner to change the fan profile so that it reaches higher fan speed at lower gpu temps. You still haven't told us your ambient (room) temps.
-Bruce
July 22, 2012 1:25:42 AM

Mid to upper 70's in the room my computer is in during the day then obviously cools off a bit at night. I already RMA'ed the card, but before i tried to leave the cards fans going at 100% for awhile and it didn't improve matters.
a c 216 U Graphics card
July 22, 2012 5:30:25 AM

Unfortunately, the card will likely be returned the way you RMA'ed it. You said yourself it doesn't get much higher than 70c when gaming. Furmark is not considered a valid program by manufacturers. They consider a heat virus.

I can tell you that sometimes it takes a while for the TMI used on the cards to cure. I have found my 680 took a month before it's temps came down, and it came down over 5C at idle.
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 22, 2012 6:55:45 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!