Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New AMD build, need to hear from you guys before I buy.

Last response: in Systems
September 8, 2012 3:12:07 AM

My limit on cash is $850, and other than the parts listed here, I have everything. Wanted to hear what you guys thought of this build.

http://www.frys.com/ShopCartServlet?action=remove_item&...

Link to fry's .com part list.
After discounts on price checks with Newegg via Fry's the price will be: $815.32.
September 8, 2012 8:03:40 AM

veladem said:

After discounts on price checks with Newegg via Fry's the price will be: $815.32.

Really? What about tax?

Problems with this build

- AMD is not a good value.
- Apevia sells some of the worst PSUs possible. See the PSU guide linked in my sig.
- The case looks to have very poor ventilation.
- The memory is MASSIVE overkill. At this budget point for a gaming build you should be getting 8GB of RAM in two modules.
m
l
Related resources
September 8, 2012 8:05:18 AM

What are you planning to do with this computer?

Games? What games? What resolution? Productivity work?
m
l
a b À AMD
September 8, 2012 8:06:03 AM

the psu is not a great psu.(albeit, a single card wouldnt probably kill it with such a low end card, but I still wouldnt sugest it.)
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:09:00 AM

Your motherboard only supports dual channel memory. And plus for gaming get like 1600(or faster if you perfer) 8gigs of ram that's really all you need. but yeah O.o 32gigs ...my god.
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:12:04 AM

I'd suggest you use this CPU instead if you're gaming and go heavier on the video card, the 550 TI while a decent card, isn't particularly impressive (mines going bye-bye soon in favor of a 7870), and the video card matters most for gaming.

$100 bucks for a Phenom II 965, and it will game just as good as the FX-8150.

http://www.frys.com/product/6071348?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...

--

Also, you have WAY more RAM than you need, get yourself 8GB (2x4GB kit), its more than enough.

---
Very, very, very BAD choice in power supply. This is a very common mistake first time builders make. Buying good components and then cheaping out on the power supply. The power supply is not a place to go cheap. Cheap, crappy power supplies will kill all of your brand new parts quickly in a murder/suicide fashion, or over time with their pathetic voltage regulation. Apevia doesn't know what the word "quality" means when it comes to power supplies.

Quality:
http://www.frys.com/product/6708355?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...
---

Computer case, looks fancy, kinda not my style, but whatever trips your trigger lol.
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:13:44 AM

Dishragboy said:
Your motherboard only supports dual channel memory. And plus for gaming get like 1600(or faster if you perfer) 8gigs of ram that's really all you need. but yeah O.o 32gigs ...my god.

I did a double take of that myself :lol: 
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:16:22 AM

I would definitely switch the power supply. As you can see in the picture below, provided by frys, you have two seperate +12v rails.

Now, with the cpu you chose, it has a power draw of 125 watts. In order to run this cpu, and other peripherals, comfortably, you would need to place it on the second +12v rail, which would provide you 216 watts.

That leaves 192 watts for the pcie card on the first rail, assuming you can pick which item you place on which rail, which is quite unlikely. This will not work, as for the fact that the card you picked draws 248 watts on load.

tl;dr buy at least a 500 watt power supply, with a single +12v rail, with at least 37 amps on that rail. It will save you a lot of money, because this power supply will blow, taking your cpu, motherboard, and RAM with it.

edit: wow, why so much RAM, talk about a waste of money...
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:17:29 AM

Proximon said:
Really? What about tax?

- The case looks to have very poor ventilation.

Yea,, the only review I can find on google was from here
http://www.ocia.net/reviews/apexdream3/page5.shtml

Its kinda cheap looking to me, and yea, it doesn't look like it has the best ventilation, still it could be worse. :sarcastic: 
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:27:35 AM

nekulturny said:
I'd suggest you use this CPU instead if you're gaming and go heavier on the video card, the 550 TI while a decent card, isn't particularly impressive (mines going bye-bye soon in favor of a 7870), and the video card matters most for gaming.

$100 bucks for a Phenom II 965, and it will game just as good as the FX-8150.

http://www.frys.com/product/6071348?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...

--

Also, you have WAY more RAM than you need, get yourself 8GB (2x4GB kit), its more than enough.

---
Very, very, very BAD choice in power supply. This is a very common mistake first time builders make. Buying good components and then cheaping out on the power supply. The power supply is not a place to go cheap. Cheap, crappy power supplies will kill all of your brand new parts quickly in a murder/suicide fashion, or over time with their pathetic voltage regulation. Apevia doesn't know what the word "quality" means when it comes to power supplies.

Quality:
http://www.frys.com/product/6708355?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...
---

Computer case, looks fancy, kinda not my style, but whatever trips your trigger lol.

agreed, that is a nice power supply. It is also a nice cpu
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:45:07 AM

I'm kinda shopping via Fry's so I'm limited. Mind that.

I'll scratch the power supply, thought it was crap anyway, just cheap way out.

Reason for the high RAM is Adobe Photoshop CS3/CS6 and Sony Vegas + lots of multi-tasking between them.

And yes the case is pretty crappy, I might tear at it and add fans, but if anyone can find another around $75 ducks, that'd be swell.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Cant wait to hear more.
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:50:55 AM

Just gotta say I almost died watching Sons of Anarchy season 5. Almost died.
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:53:04 AM

veladem said:

Reason for the high RAM is Adobe Photoshop CS3/CS6 and Sony Vegas + lots of multi-tasking between them.

And yes the case is pretty crappy, I might tear at it and add fans, but if anyone can find another around $75 ducks, that'd be swell.

ok, fair enough. Keep in mind, and this has already been stated, but that memory is quad channel, and your motherboard only supports dual channel
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:54:26 AM

veladem said:

FX-8150 is okay for that, although I'd probably spend less, get the 8120 and just overclock it to match FX-8150 speeds, they're the same CPU, just different clock rates. They both overclock well, should you decide to take advantage of it. The stock cooler should be sufficient for 4.0GHZ, although if overclocking is not your thing, 3.6GHZ is not a large leap from the stock 8120 clock rate and like I said, they're the same CPU, with different multiplier settings.

http://www.frys.com/product/6820696?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...

16GB is plenty for what you're looking to do. I'd go with that in 4x4GB modules.

I'd give the CoolerMaster Haf 912 a look as far as cases go.
http://www.frys.com/product/6348461?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:21:15 AM

Oh wow. Ummm, I'm not sure what you are aiming at. To me, it looks like a high-end gaming system. But if that's what you are going for, there are some odd choices and one that screams "WRONG!"

One of the first links I clicked on was an Apevia brand 500W power supply. Scary. I'll assume you don't know any better. Otherwise I'd have to SLAP you for abusing your nice new hardware like that. Switch to a Corsair something, anything but the CX series. Oh, and start at 600-650W minimum.

Then later I clicked on an FX-8100. Nice. But I'd assume then that you will not be running windows? Only linux can use a processor like that. If you're running Windows 7 or earlier, only the first two cores will be used. So what's the point of buying the other six? Way over-priced CPU for running Windows. If you are thinking of future-proofing, try an FX-4100. You'll still have two idle cores running windows, but at least it's not WAY over-priced.

And 32GB of RAM?!? Dude, I'm serious on this...
CTRL/ALT/DEL, launch task manager. On the bottom of task manager, note the percentage of physical RAM in use. Multiply that percentage by the number of GB of physical RAM installed and you will get a number <2. That's LESS THAN 2GB of physical RAM used. Now note the commit charge is this same number, meaning virtual memory is not in use. Task manager doesn't lie. TRY to make your computer use more than 2GB of physical RAM. Or just take my word for it that it's not possible...
(dont' believe me? I'm OK with that. That's why I posted instructions so you could verify it yourself!)
Basically, if you cut your RAM in HALF, you'll still have EIGHT TIMES as much RAM as you will ever use...
But then you'd be able to afford a non-garbage quality power supply!
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:28:13 AM

Quote:
One of the first links I clicked on was an Apevia brand 500W power supply. Scary. I'll assume you don't know any better. Otherwise I'd have to SLAP you for abusing your nice new hardware like that. Switch to a Corsair something, anything but the CX series. Oh, and start at 600-650W minimum.

LOL Been covered already. Nothing wrong with the Corsair CX v2 series. They're very good power supplies at very decent prices, but none of them are really up to the challenge of driving a Bulldozer CPU, except maybe the CX600, but at that price, TX650v2 is where to go.

Quote:
Then later I clicked on an FX-8100. Nice. But I'd assume then that you will not be running windows? Only linux can use a processor like that.

...What?
Quote:
TRY to make your computer use more than 2GB of physical RAM.

Challenge accepted:
Depends on what you're doing, this is me just playing Runescape and watching Netflix streaming, in addition to the usual background stuff (antivirus, etc). I think I had a another FireFox Window up at the time too, it was a couple months ago when I took this screenshot. Although I've never been able to make it go above 6GB usage. I imagine that video editing can.

m
l
September 8, 2012 9:42:29 AM

davec80 said:

Then later I clicked on an FX-8100. Nice. But I'd assume then that you will not be running windows? Only linux can use a processor like that. If you're running Windows 7 or earlier, only the first two cores will be used. So what's the point of buying the other six? Way over-priced CPU for running Windows. If you are thinking of future-proofing, try an FX-4100. You'll still have two idle cores running windows, but at least it's not WAY over-priced.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.. But I was under the assumption if you are running 64 bit windows 7 it WILL take advantage of the extra cores.
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:55:35 AM

ctomster said:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.. But I was under the assumption if you are running 64 bit windows 7 it WILL take advantage of the extra cores.

No you have it correct. It depends on the program however. Some are coded to take advantage of multi-core, some are not. Most games only use 2. There are some that use 4, Battlefield 3 in multiplayer is the only game currently known to use 8 cores. Video editing programs like Sony Vegas are heavily threaded and will use all 8 on the FX-8120/8150. As you can see from my screenshot all 4 cores of my quad have activity in them. And thats just general PC usage (Runescape is a single core game).
m
l
a b À AMD
September 8, 2012 10:29:11 AM

davec80 said:

Then later I clicked on an FX-8100. Nice. But I'd assume then that you will not be running windows? Only linux can use a processor like that. If you're running Windows 7 or earlier, only the first two cores will be used.

And 32GB of RAM?!? Dude, I'm serious on this...
CTRL/ALT/DEL, launch task manager. On the bottom of task manager, note the percentage of physical RAM in use. Multiply that percentage by the number of GB of physical RAM installed and you will get a number <2. That's LESS THAN 2GB of physical RAM used. Now note the commit charge is this same number, meaning virtual memory is not in use. Task manager doesn't lie. TRY to make your computer use more than 2GB of physical RAM.

Ok so the last version of Windows you have used was what Windows 3.1? Windows has been multithreaded for quite some time where have you been compiling your kernel?

While Windows Vista and Windows 7 32bit could only handle up to 4gig of ram 64bit has no such limit and can easily handle 32gig. I will agree that 32gig of ram is overkill but that does not mean that Windows is limited to 2gig by any means. Running your little test I am using 3.60gig witch is over the 2gig that you claim is all Windows can use so right of the bat you are completely and totally wrong in every way there is. But do not take my word for it try running a modern version of Windows and see for yourself!
m
l
September 8, 2012 12:56:05 PM

In my last build I had 2x8GB 1600MHz of dual channel RAM and seemed to always find, that little CPU/Phy Mem ?widget?, hitting max, and my i5-2400 getting pretty high up in the %. Like 70-85%. That's 16GB maxing out, and I ain't playin games . . . No pun intended. I'm going to have to up my RAM, I work with stop-motion mainly, but I do game. I tried to find some dual channel RAM at my Fry's = 32GB with no luck, so I was planning on the quad channel.

I did however find a different power supply,

http://www.frys.com/product/5296257
680W, still apevia though . . .

I loved the idea of the Haf-912. I really wish I could vote multiple best answers . . .
m
l

Best solution

September 8, 2012 1:25:04 PM

veladem said:

680W, still apevia though . . . .

yeah....no, apevia ONLY makes junk PSU's, don't ever use them. EVER.

get this instead, should hold up fine for a single GPU
http://www.frys.com/product/6708365

if you want more headroom you can get the 650 instead
http://www.frys.com/product/6708355

if you really feel like spending money on a good PSU that will last look into the AX series
they are expensive though ($150 for the AX650)
September 8, 2012 3:26:49 PM

veladem said:
In my last build I had 2x8GB 1600MHz of dual channel RAM and seemed to always find, that little CPU/Phy Mem ?widget?, hitting max, and my i5-2400 getting pretty high up in the %. Like 70-85%. That's 16GB maxing out, and I ain't playin games . . . No pun intended. I'm going to have to up my RAM, I work with stop-motion mainly, but I do game. I tried to find some dual channel RAM at my Fry's = 32GB with no luck, so I was planning on the quad channel.

680W, still apevia though . . .

I loved the idea of the Haf-912. I really wish I could vote multiple best answers . . .

Seriously, don't buy an apevia anything lol. The wattage is only one factor in determining which choice of power supply, there are several other more important factors than wattage. Also, you will find with cheaper power supplies, such as trashy Apevia, they say they're good for 680 watts, but they only put out 300 watts. Pure garbage.

That Apevia Ice thing... $70 for it and no 80+ efficiency certification? Trash.
m
l
September 8, 2012 5:10:53 PM

I can't wait till October . . . :( 
m
l
September 8, 2012 7:10:35 PM

If you are set on AMD, that's fine. However, you need to be aware that it's not the best choice for CS5.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmar...

It may fare slightly better in Vegas, I'm not sure. 32GB of RAM may not be overkill for what you are doing... but if you buy 16GB and get a processor that is MUCH faster you will have a better experience. Then add another 16GB later, if you still need it.

The 550ti is probably a good choice for CUDA/gaming in combination.

Didn't I read that Fry's matches Microcenter combo deals?

For $275 at Microcenter you can get an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 bundled with an i5 3570K. That's less than what you are currently paying for your CPU and MB.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/43e7ab6d#/43e7ab6d/...

Also, if you reduce the RAM you can probably afford the same deal with the 3770K.
m
l
September 8, 2012 7:22:44 PM

The ModXStream isn't 80+ certified, yet is a good PSU. As long as it has a good voltage regulator, enough amps on the 12v rail, and doesn't get too loud under load, it will be fine.
m
l
September 8, 2012 7:41:09 PM

Proximon said:
If you are set on AMD, that's fine. However, you need to be aware that it's not the best choice for CS5.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmar...

Those parts cost 2X and 5X as much!!! Holly hell . . . The Intel that runs the same as the FX-8150 on Photoshop costs 330 for the k and 310 for the normal . . .

It may fare slightly better in Vegas, I'm not sure. 32GB of RAM may not be overkill for what you are doing... but if you buy 16GB and get a processor that is MUCH faster you will have a better experience. Then add another 16GB later, if you still need it.

The 550ti is probably a good choice for CUDA/gaming in combination.

Didn't I read that Fry's matches Microcenter combo deals?

For $275 at Microcenter you can get an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 bundled with an i5 3570K. That's less than what you are currently paying for your CPU and MB.

My CPU and MoBo are going to cost 300 cause I'm getting $20 off on the Vid Card cause I'm bundling.

Also, if you reduce the RAM you can probably afford the same deal with the 3770K.

Either way I might need to buy another Vid Card in the future because I have CS6 Ex open with 5+ windows and Sony Vegas open with thousands of pictures loading through it for my stop motion films. Takes a lot of pictures to make it smooth.
m
l
September 8, 2012 7:46:11 PM

Fry's doesn't price match MC.
m
l
September 8, 2012 7:49:36 PM

Ah that's too bad.
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:41:36 PM

Best answer selected by veladem.
m
l
September 8, 2012 10:22:55 PM

ctomster said:

Up through all versions of windows 7,

Windows is not SMP aware. Windows itself will fully utilize core 1 (core 0), and pass some background tasks off to core 2 (core 1).

There are a few applications that have been coded to pass some tasks off to cores above the first two, if they exist.

But for the most part, if you bought a quad core processor for Windows use, then half your processor is going to be idle, constantly.
m
l
September 8, 2012 10:30:51 PM

Quote:
Then later I clicked on an FX-8100. Nice. But I'd assume then that you will not be running windows? Only linux can use a processor like that.

...What?
Quote:
TRY to make your computer use more than 2GB of physical RAM.

Challenge accepted:
Depends on what you're doing, this is me just playing Runescape and watching Netflix streaming, in addition to the usual background stuff (antivirus, etc). I think I had a another FireFox Window up at the time too, it was a couple months ago when I took this screenshot. Although I've never been able to make it go above 6GB usage. I imagine that video editing can.

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9135/4gbistoast.png[/quotemsg]

If I hadn't seen the screencap, I wouldn't have believed it. I've checked memory usage on dozens of systems running Windows 7 (various versions). I've seen one go over 1.5GB of physical RAM usage, but only by borrowing some system RAM for the onboard video chip.

On a couple of systems, I tried (hard) to max out memory usage. Dozens of office applications, a game running, dozens of browsers open, streaming video over netflix, etc...
The PC equivalent of loading 10 tons of bricks into the back of a Ford Ranger. Even at an insane amount of multi-tasking, I have not been able to push a Windows 7 system over 1.5GB of physical RAM usage (in fact, it maxes out just over 1.4GB). And the interesting part, as I mentioned earlier, is that virtual memory is not in use.

I think the only thing I can conclude from your screenshot is that one of your applications is an incredibly bad memory hog.
And I'm surprised to learn that Windows really will use more than 2GB of RAM, under certain circumstances.
m
l
a b À AMD
September 8, 2012 10:41:11 PM

davec80 said:
Up through all versions of windows 7,

Windows is not SMP aware. Windows itself will fully utilize core 1 (core 0), and pass some background tasks off to core 2 (core 1).

There are a few applications that have been coded to pass some tasks off to cores above the first two, if they exist.

But for the most part, if you bought a quad core processor for Windows use, then half your processor is going to be idle, constantly.

true for the most part, but you can change a setting on the computer in order to enable multi core boot up by:

Run>Msconfig>Boot Tab>Advanced Options>check Number of Processors>the the number of processors to minorly speed up booting.

I can also contend with that I use more than 2gb ram with an instant messenger, antivirus, steam and a browser on.(and many other small minor stuff that are no bigger than 10mb)
m
l
September 8, 2012 10:42:11 PM

Proximon said:

Sorry I've never shopped at micro center before! Do we have to buy that in store, or can we order online? It sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me!
m
l
a b À AMD
September 8, 2012 10:44:08 PM

ctomster said:
Sorry I've never shopped at micro center before! Do we have to buy that in store, or can we order online? It sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me!

microcenter cpu and mobo discount deals are in store only, hence the price. the rest of microcenters goods are generally capable of being purchased online.
m
l
September 9, 2012 2:09:16 AM

davec80 said:

I think the only thing I can conclude from your screenshot is that one of your applications is an incredibly bad memory hog.
And I'm surprised to learn that Windows really will use more than 2GB of RAM, under certain circumstances.

Your conclusion wouldn't be off the mark actually. Runescape is coded in Java. Its known to be resource intensive, and I'm fairly certain netflix streaming uses java in some capacity as well. So thats a double dose of memory hogging.
m
l
September 9, 2012 2:19:38 AM

Netflix uses Silverlight.
m
l
September 9, 2012 2:39:44 AM

Oh yea thats right, come to think of it. I didn't even know what it was til netflix told me I needed it, I still don't really know what it is :lol: 
m
l
!