Build compatibility & advice

Orcashark

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
I've built a computer once before, but it was a few years ago now and someone else helped me come up with the parts. That computer has since died, and I need one with a bit more power anyway. I've tried to do as much research as I can to make sure everything's compatible, but I want to make absolutely sure before I buy everything only to find part A doesn't fit into slot B and so forth.

I'm also open to advice for better/smarter options, though I'm trying to stay roughly under $1000. I plan to use it for both gaming and multimedia production (Photoshop, After Effects, some Maya).

Without further ado, here's what I've come up with:

ASUS P8Z77-M Micro ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Processor (heatsink included)
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB Video Card
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 RAM
RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Chassis w/ 500w Power Supply included

Not including HDD or OS because I already have a couple of HDDs and Windows XP that I plan to salvage from my old build (I figure I'll wait for the Windows 8 release to upgrade the OS).

P.S. So, thermal paste for the CPU. Is that something I need to acquire as well?

Thanks in advance!

Solution

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

The stock Intel heatsink has three patches of thermal paste pre-applied to it. I believe you do not use extra paste when using the stock cooler. Also, if you getting the K version of the cpu, are you planning to overclock? If you are going to overclock I strongly recommend getting a third-party cooler, like the trusty Cooler Master Hyper 212+. If you know that you won't be overclocking, then you can save a little money by going with the non-K 3570, and maybe a different mobo.

Are you set on that case? I don't know about that power supply.....I think Raidmax, along with Diablotek are close to the bottom of the heap. I would compare prices for 500 watt psu's from Antec, Seasonic, Corsair etc. and check reliability reviews on that Raidmax before making a decision; pony up a little more for a solid psu and you will thank yourself later.

Solution

Orcashark

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if I'll overclock yet as it's not something I've tried before, but I'd like to keep the option open. I'll look into that cooler as well to make sure I don't blow up my processor if I do.

I chose the case because of the convenience of having a built-in power supply plus the removable motherboard base, though I was wondering if getting a built-in power supply might be a risk. Thanks for confirming that, I'll look into getting a reliable power supply. Do you have any suggestions for reliable case brands? That was something I had difficulty finding any information on.

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Antec makes a couple of cases with built-in power supplies which are better than the Raidmax but I don't know if they are the best that Antec offers for the price; you may be better off getting the PSU separately.

As far as cases, Corsair, Antec and Fractal Design all make solid cases in a variety of build qualities, aesthetics, and functions. Some like Coolermaster as well. Check out the offerings from those four manufacturers to start with; there are many features and variations - you may have to spend some time finding the case that fits your needs and style. Balancing all the variables like looks, air flow, utility, noise dampening capacity, etc. - takes a little time and research.

I have these two cases and I like them both.....my personal preference is for the more understated, sort of monolithic cases than the ones with windows and lights and bulges, everywhere.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129179

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352007