Sign in with
Your question

System Lag when tabbing out of a Game.

Last response: in Systems
September 8, 2012 5:34:58 AM

Hello, I've been having non stop issues with my last build. I've never had so many problems with a build...in fact, I still own the last 2 PC I built and they are still strong after 5-10 Years. Here is my newest issue :( 

This computer is mostly for school/work/some gaming. I like to tab in and out of my games to change the station on Pandora or to check the weather, business, etc. This problem has been going on for awhile. I'd had to RMA to many items tha I don't even know which hardware to test/check.

My problem is that when I'm gaming (World of Warcraft mostly) and I tab out I get insane lag, It takes a few seconds for anything to open or change sites on google chrome, even typing is lagged by a second or two. The only way to fix this lag is to tab back into World of Warcraft and tab back out to fix it. This only happens a couple of times a day. Its annoying and I would like to get to the bottom of it. I also sometimes get a error message about my PC being low on memory sometimes when I tab out of World of Warcraft. I also click to ignore this message in the future but it keeps popping up on occasion. (I will try to get a screenshot of this error message).

Not sure if this is relevant but I'm also getting errors while browsing the web. I like to multi-task while I'm on youtube and like having more then 1 page open (You know how youtube works, you go in to see 1 video and you end up spending all day on it :)  ). When I'm on IE9 and my youtube video crashes te video goes white and I get a Gray circle with white exclamation mark on all the videos I had open and when I'm on google chrome and it crashes the video goes black and I get a white symbol (face?). This has never happened on any other system I've built.

Here are my Spec:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/8/2012, 01:18:57
Machine name: DSQUARED-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/15/12 16:17:52 Ver: 33.02
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8160MB RAM
Page File: 4949MB used, 11366MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series

Display Memory: 736 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1008 MB
Shared Memory: 3823 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: SyncMaster

Native Mode: 1920 x 1200(p) (59.950Hz)
Output Type: HDMI

Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1140 (English)
Driver Version: 8.982.0.0

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
September 8, 2012 8:11:53 AM

Your DirectX info is most certainly not your specs and is only useful to game programmers. I'll just get rid of it.
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:13:59 AM

Now, let's have a full parts list.

RAM model number
Motherboard
PSU
Case
m
l
Related resources
September 8, 2012 8:32:25 AM

Proximon said:
Now, let's have a full parts list.

RAM model number
Motherboard
PSU
Case

Thanks for the Edit, Sorry about that I was going to edit it as soon as I seen your post.

Ram Model #: CML8GX3M2A1600C9W
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth P67
PSU: OCZ-ZT750W ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D Full-Tower
m
l
September 8, 2012 2:47:32 PM

I've been trying to get that error message for the last hour and no luck. Anyone have any idea to what might be causing my problems? I've done a fresh install of Window 7 before and still the problems continue.

I just had the GPU replaced so I'm not sure if it is a GPU problem...It was doing this before the GPU started to fail and after my new one (RMA) came in.
m
l
September 8, 2012 6:50:07 PM

It sounds like a Win 7 config issue, but you say you installed fresh. What about the BIOS? Have you done an update?

Monitor your RAM usage. From the start button search for resource monitor. Open the memory tab and keep it going in the background. Let's see what happens.
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:58:23 PM

I have the latest BIOS update.

Could this be a CPU issue? This seems to happen when I have a youtube video open, Pandora playing, and running World of Warcraft with Skype. It just happened a few minutes ago. I checked my resource monitor and I'm currently using 41% Physical Memory. The only thing I have open is Pandora, Skype, and World of Warcraft along with this website on IE9. Could this be a low memory issue? I always thought 8GB was sufficient.
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:09:21 PM

Well, I'm thinking you might have a memory leak in one of those programs. That creates those types of behaviors. As I recall WoW had some bad memory leaks back in the early days. You can spot them because your memory will gradually fill up for no apparent reason.

If your PC will pass various stress tests with no issue, then that is probably the case

Prime95 + Real Temp for a few hours, no other programs, to test temps and CPU stability.

Furmark +GPU-Z for the same test with the GPU

memtest.org to create a boot disk to test memory, for about 8 hours.

Links are all here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/292686-31-list-troubl...
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:19:46 PM

Thanks, I will test those out tonight. I ran prime95 for 2 hours and no errors, temps were below 60 degree cel. I did the Windows 7 mem test and no errors found.

Now that you say it could be a memory leak it might be a program that came with my motherboard that I downloaded from the Asus website. I'm going to removed all the useless ones.
m
l
September 8, 2012 10:00:20 PM

Just took a screenshot while my PC was lagging after I tabbed out of WoW. Here they are. First image is my CPU Resource Monitor and Second is my Mem.

http://imgur.com/a/5Rt4Q
m
l
September 8, 2012 10:43:02 PM

That's all quite normal.

Better look at the disk activity next.
m
l
September 8, 2012 11:10:54 PM

Will do, Thanks for all your help kind sir :) 
m
l
September 12, 2012 9:57:34 AM

Sorry for not updating in awhile, I had family problems that I needed to attend.

Here is a screenshot of my disk activity.

http://i.imgur.com/zT8Y7.jpg

and here is a screenshot of the error I get.

http://i.imgur.com/dysY5.jpg?1

Edit:
I also forgot to mention that when I watch movie on Windows Media Player and minimize it for a few second then maximize it will lag for the first couple of seconds. If I leave the movie playing and minimize it for let say 10 minutes, when I maximize it again it the movie frames will fast foward to be sync with the sound.

Example: I minmize the movie at 11:00 and wait 10 minutes to maximize it, when I maximize it the frames will still be on 11:00 but the sound will be at 20:00 minutes into the movie, then the frames will fast foward for 5-10 seconds to be in sync.

I'm thinking of doing a fresh Windows install and only install the minimum software needed.
m
l
September 12, 2012 2:24:14 PM

I did a CPU stress test with Prime95 for 9 hours and no errors. I just ran a Furmark test and here are the results:

BURN-IN SCORE: 1758 points
17231 frames, 19 FPS, 72°C
Resolution: 1920x1080 (FS) - AA:0 sample
FPS: min:19, max:21, avg:19 - OPTIONS: DynBkg
m
l
September 12, 2012 6:29:51 PM

That first screen shot is with WoW running in the background I take it? That initial CPU spike looks a little odd but otherwise it's fine.

I think you should try again on the OS installation. At the same time you should reset the BIOS to defaults and update any firmware.

m
l
September 12, 2012 8:28:34 PM

The disk activity screenshot is when my computer is in lag mode.

I just did a new fresh install of Windows 7. I also had brother lend me his Windows CD since I was using a USB to install. Currently I'm running smooth. The only thing I downloaded so far is my Norton, All Updates, Mouse Software, WoW, and a few MB drivers.

When you say to reset my BIOS do you mean change the setting to default or remove my current (3302) BIOS. Thanks.
m
l
September 12, 2012 8:39:27 PM

No I mean re-set it to defaults..... See your motherboard manual. It's different than changing one setting. However, since you don't seem to be having issues there may not be a need.
m
l
September 13, 2012 6:57:37 AM

Is there anyway to test my SSD? To check for possible errors. I'm using the Sandisk SSD Tool Kit and it says the overall SMART status: Pass.

Edit: Someone wierd just happened that has never happened before. I went on a website (twitch.tv) and was going to go check out a stream. A stream was playing in the main page and when I went to another page, the stream on the main page was still playing in my backround even though I wasn't on the main page. I closed IE9 and checked if it was running with task manager and it wasn't but the sound was still playing. I had to restart for it to go away. Hmmmm, Might be a glitch but that has never happened before.
m
l
September 13, 2012 7:45:43 PM

There are some errors like that, especially with flash. It's not anything to worry about, unless it's constant.

m
l
!