Sign in with
Your question

Going from 2 to 3 monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 21, 2012 12:31:14 AM

Hey all, I've been wanting a 3 monitor setup for a while and I think its finally time to take the plunge, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it.

Currently I have 2 LG Flatron E2350V 23 inch monitors running off of my Radeon 5870, and I'm looking to add a 3rd

I'm thinking of just buying a DVI to display port adapter and the 3rd monitor. I'm a little concerned that my video card won't be able to handle that load though, I'm not super picky about having ALL the knobs turned all the way up on my graphics settings, I just want the immersive feel of 3 monitors, and will probably just mess around with some flight sims and wow or something.

I'm looking hard at a 7870 as a replacement for my 5870 can't perform, but I figured I should try it first before I run out and drop $300 on a new video card.

Thoughts?

More about : monitors

a c 355 U Graphics card
a c 193 C Monitor
July 21, 2012 12:43:13 AM

The HD 5870 is too weak for a three monitor setup unless you are okay with settings all graphic settings to low and still end up getting relatively low frame rates.

Even a single nVidia GTX 680 ($500+) is not even powerful enough for a 3 monitor setup unless you are okay with medium quality graphics to get good frame rates.
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 21, 2012 1:01:05 AM

single card wise, if you are gaming and want 3 screens at 1920x1080 resolution, the only cards that fit that niche respectably well are heavy vram post 400$ cards alone.(670, 680, 7970, 7970 ghz). if its just casual use, i don't think it takes much power to run 3 monitors for normal use.
Related resources
July 21, 2012 1:02:38 AM

jaguarskx said:
The HD 5870 is too weak for a three monitor setup unless you are okay with settings all graphic settings to low and still end up getting relatively low frame rates.

Even a single nVidia GTX 680 ($500+) is not even powerful enough for a 3 monitor setup unless you are okay with medium quality graphics to get good frame rates.

Thats kinda what I was afraid of, I mean when eyefinity first came out there was all this talk about being able to run 6 displays off of 1 card, but that seemed almost impossible to me, sure yea you could hook up 6 displays but to play a game at decent settings across 6 displays, I just didn't see a single card being able to handle that.

So you don't think even a 7870 will be able to perform? Like I said I'm not real crazy about having all the display settings all the way up, and only really wanna play flight sims, or wow, both of which aren't really that crazy as far as graphics go
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 21, 2012 2:07:11 AM

if your not worried about maximizing settings and playing a not to demanding game, i would assume it will work fine.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 21, 2012 2:07:46 AM

I'm running 2x HD5870's in xfire to run 3xLG W2486L monitors at 5760x1080 on bf3 my settings are a mix of low, med, high (ultra is totally out of the question) and getting acceptable frame rates (don't know what they are, but I'm happy with them, it's smooth enough for me). As far as the display port adapter goes, it HAS to be ACTIVE. As for the HD7870, I would go with that, it at least gives you the option of crossfiring them later on.
Hope this helps, good luck.
July 21, 2012 5:01:26 AM

Yea when I originally built this PC that was the plan with the 5870, and now here I am. The 5870 is old enough at this point where they are kinda hard to find and not really worth setting up for crossfire. I mean, by what you've said, dual 5870's would probably do me just fine, but... if I'm gonna upgrade I might as well just get a newer card and then double that up later, like you said.

Also running anything newer than a 7870 would probably require getting a bigger power supply, I've only got a 850W unit
!