Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CCC causing black screen with new 7750

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 21, 2012 12:33:45 AM

Hey Tom's, here's the breakdown...

Situation: I recently replaced my old Radeon HD 5670 with a 7750. After installing the hardware, I downloaded the latest ATI Catalyst driver (12.6) from the HIS website (as the 7750 is HIS brand.) After rebooting to complete the driver installation, logging into Windows 7 quickly produced a black screen. I have tried the drivers packaged with the 7750, as well as version 12.6 from online, but both produce the same result.

Temporary Solution: I have booted into Safe Mode and uninstalled the drivers for the display adapter, and now the system works well enough that I can type this post in full 1080p.

Notes/Disclaimers: My mobo supports PCI-e 2.1 x16, but I thought 3.0 cards were backwards compatible, so that shouldn't matter right? Also my PSU is 600W, and the HIS Radeon HD 7750 is fanless. The psu should not be the problem. My thought is that there's a conflict with some older ATI software from my previous GPU conflicting with the newer drivers, or that the drivers are having a problem with the card being run off a PCI-e 2.1 x16 slot. But I could be completely off-the-mark with that.

Question: What am I missing? What should I do to get this card fully functional so I can play games and render my graphic design stuff? I know there are other threads like this out there, but I just spent hours reading them and none of them answered my questions. I know you guys can help though. Thanks in advance! :) 

System Specs:
AMD FX-6100 OC @ 4.0 GHz
ASRock 990FX Extreme 3
HIS Radeon HD 7750 iSilence5
Cooler Master SilentPro 600W PSU
Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB DDR3 1866 (2x 4GB)
37" Visio LCD HDTV via HDMI cable

Best solution

July 21, 2012 12:40:00 AM

It should simply work. If it does not work with the AMD drivers it most likely is faulty and has problems with running in 3d.
July 21, 2012 1:03:49 AM

That's what I was afraid of. I just kept thinking there must be some nuance of the catalyst software that I didn't understand... Oh well. I'll swap it back out for the 5670 and RMA next week unless someone else replies with a different diagnosis. Thank you for the quick reply Rolli59! (:
m
l
Related resources
July 22, 2012 4:06:40 AM

Update: I've been doing more research, and noticed a Sapphire Tech thread which indicates a problem with these same drivers working on HDMI 1.3 but not 1.4. Could this be the problem, but only for 3D? Just something more to wonder about.
m
l
July 25, 2012 11:12:55 PM

Interesting cause, and it wouldn't surprise me. I Just bought a Sapphire 7750 earlier this week and get the black screen as soon as windows finished booting. Uninstalling the catalyst drivers fixes the issue, but of course you don't get all the benefits of proper drivers. I really hope AMD fixes this soon.
m
l
July 25, 2012 11:17:37 PM

Oh, and my TV I am trying to run it through is HDMI 1.3.
m
l
July 29, 2012 12:36:42 AM

Update: I was building a second PC from spare parts, and decided to use the 7750 to get it working. I'm not sure why, but it works just fine in that system. No problems with 3D. Same display.

Here's a list of changes I made from the initial problematic operating environment:

1. Had to buy a second HDMI cable for the second computer. It is new, the cheap Wal-Mart distributed "Onn" brand. The other cable was VIZIO brand, which came with my HDTV.

2. I installed Catalyst Control Center 12.4 this time, instead of 12.6 from the HIS website's list of drivers for the 7750.

3. Motherboard is an ASUS M4A87TD/USB3, and...

4. Processor is an AMD Phenom II X4. (Doubt this has anything to do with it.)

It may be possible that one or more of these changes solved some sort of conflict with the card which kept it from functioning properly when rendering 3D. For anyone else who is having this problem, these are things to try. Good luck.
m
l
July 29, 2012 3:56:42 PM

if u were doing fresh instal of windows with gfx card installed it will blue screen on installing catalyst drivers if u dont disable standard vga driver then reboot. u install with Given Cd that came in box let instal 12.4 then u can tell catalyst to do update and voila 12.6 works like a charm
m
l
July 29, 2012 8:18:44 PM

Windows was already on the hard drives in both of my machines, so not a fresh install.
I did try the CD packaged with the 7750 and have it update, but the problem happened either way.

Thank you for the reply though, it is good advice for others. :) 
m
l
August 5, 2012 2:40:24 AM

Best answer selected by maguserroris.
m
l
!