Solved

Single Higher GPU or Two Lower GPU's

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • GPUs
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 21, 2012 12:56:23 AM

Im trying to decide weather or not I want a single higher power GPU or if I want two a bit lower powered GPUs. The single one that im looking at is a GIGABYTE GV-R787OC-2GD. The two that I think I might get are the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 2GB. I mainly want two GPUs because of their crossfireX capability. However, if I do get two Radeon 7850's that take like 600W, does that mean im going to need more than 1200W? Finally, are the two fans on each one sufficient to cool them down? Thanks for your input.

More about : single higher gpu lower gpu

Best solution

July 21, 2012 1:01:08 AM

I'd go with a 7870, and if you need more later you can buy another 7870 then. Better to go this way then to want to upgrade the 7850s down the road and have to get a totally new card. I've done sli on lower end cards and as awesome as the performance was I wished I'd gotten one slightly faster card I could double up on later.

If you do decide to use a pair of 7850s they don't use 600w each, thats the total system recommendation when using one of those cards, plus the rest of the PC. A good 650w or higher PSU is enough. And the standard cooling on the cards is enough to keep em cool as long as your case has decent airflow (a few intake and a couple out blowing fans).
July 21, 2012 1:16:28 AM

Awesome answer. Thanks very much.
m
l
July 21, 2012 1:16:57 AM

Best answer selected by Bluskyz.
m
l
!