Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't boot, turns off and on? help!

Last response: in Systems
September 8, 2012 6:56:25 AM

Yesterday i bought some new ram for my pc, and when i got it i shut down my computer and took it to my office to install it. after i have put it in, taking as much caution as you can with ram, i put it back in my room plugged all cables back in and started it up. i got a loud beeping from the motherboard and was worried something was very wrong, so i uninstalled that ram and put my old one back in. I started it up again with all fans lights etc coming on and it seemed to be normal, five seconds later it turns off and waits about 2-3 seconds before starting again. This process will continue with it being on for about 6-7 seconds then turning off with nothing coming up on the screen and no warnings from the motherboard or anything.
i am worried something may be fried and i will have to do a big replacement of hardware. i have read many other forums with no success finding an answer. i have taken out the CMOS battery to try reset bios, nothing, have made sure all cables are in tight along with other parts, and i have tried changing the dimm slots of the ram and unplugging my HDD to no avail.
I would really appreciate as much help as i can get because everyone knows how frustrating it is when you cant even turn on your pc.
my specs:
intel i5 2500k @3.3ghz
GA-p67a-UD4-B3 motherboard
GTX 560ti 2gb
Thermaltake 700W litepower
Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler
4gb kingston hyperX ddr3
Thermaltake case.

More about : computer boot turns

September 8, 2012 7:15:21 AM

Take video card out and turn on. You should get two beeps with a short pause followed by 7 beeps.
If you don't get these beeps then something else is wrong.
Take the cpu cooler off the cpu and make sure the CPU is fully seated(leave video card out), along with the ram. If the ram looks crooked or uneven then its not installed right. leave everything else disconnected or out except for power supply of course.
m
l
September 8, 2012 7:47:20 AM

ok, i will try that now. Right now i am also trying to leave the CMOS battery out for an hour or so to see if that helps, ive heard that it does.
m
l
Related resources
September 8, 2012 8:07:18 AM

ok, took out the graphics card and tested it with just the power cord plugged in and nothing else. for a second it did not start at all, but i turn the power off at the wall and tried again and all it did was the same thing, staying on for a while with all fans and phase LEDs coming on but no beeps, then turning off and repeating the process until i turn the PSU switch off.
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:25:33 AM

Sounds like motherboard is fried.
Try with all RAM modules unplugged/out.

You should get one long continuous beep that sounds like a growling noise.
If you don't get that then more than likely the motherboard is fried.

Leave video card out. There should be nothing plugged into the motherboard but the power cable and the CPU with its fan.
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:30:44 AM

Ugg, that turned out weird.
You want nothing on the motherboard but the power cable that plugs into it and the CPU with its fan.
There, thats better lol.... I need more coffee =O
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:38:42 AM

OK? i took out the 1 module of ram i had in and turned it back on and counted the beeps, i did not get one continuous one instead i got about 18 if my counting is correct. that doesn't seem very good to me.
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:50:44 AM

Ok. where there any pauses between the beeps? That is important.
So, now we are getting somewhere. There may be an issue with your RAM or how your motherboard is handling the RAM.
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:51:33 AM

Just did a quick check on your motherboard. If you use one stick of RAM it only works if it is in the third slot. Try that and see if the beep codes change.
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:52:46 AM

There were only very small pauses, about 1 second, and how is it my ram because i am using my original ones that worked fine until i tried installing the 8gb kit i bought, thats when all the problems started. right now i have been using 1 module instead of the previous 4gb kit of 2, but have not tried my new 8gb kit since the first time i tried installing them. that description came out a bit weird but hope it sort of makes sense.
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:59:28 AM

Hmm, interesting.
Did you try the one module in slot 3 thingy?
I'm looking up more stuff on your mobo, so one sec heh heh.
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:05:57 AM

Ive also done research on my board, just basic stuff, and its a decent board its just i have also found other people with problems but nothing like mine. Also what do you mean one module in slot 3?
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:06:30 AM

The motherboard doesn't like one RAM module in slot one, it likes it in slot 3. And it also seems like the manufactuer may have the slots in a goofy lineup. Usually, motherboards have their ram slots in order like 1,2,3,4 but yours may have them weird like 1,3,2,4 or something like that. Look on the motherboard itself near the ends of the RAM slots and see if you can find any labels like SIMM1 or RAM1, SIMM2, SIMM3 etc etc and stick one of your old RAM modules into SIMM3
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:09:51 AM

sorry yes i know what you mean, the second main dimm. yes i had it in there just before, i have tried every dimm just to be safe but i just get the same result. do you think i should try one of the new modules? one 4gb stick instead of one 2gb stick.
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:10:35 AM

It says, to the left of the dimms, ddr3-1 ddr3-2 etc in order implying they are not like 1,3,2,4. yet if i put the ram in the 2nd one from the left it beeps as if there is no ram. so it has to be set out like you said 1,3,2,4.
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:13:42 AM

Ok, I checked your user manual for your motherboard, it says that continuous short beeps are a power error so that points to your power supply if it's correct.
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:17:14 AM

Q: What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?
A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
(For reference only.)
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:19:18 AM

Hmmm thats strange. how did i manage to screw the power supply? what should i do to test that then? i dont have any spare PSUs around the house nor power testers. should i take it to a pc shop and get them to test one of theirs with it?
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:26:19 AM

Yea, wouldn't hurt to try to have them test it. If you got ur own volt meter you can save some money, they are like $20 bucks at wal mart or a good auto parts store lol, at least around here lol.

Also, I know you already pulled the battery out for your motherboard bios, but there is a jumper to the left of the motherboard(farthest from the RAM slots) labeled CLR_CMOS, switch the jumper from one side to the other for a few minutes then put it back. If nothing changes then i'm out of ideas lol.
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:31:14 AM

Yea i don't have a jumper but i did use a screw driver, which is the other option recommended, but only held it there for like 10 seconds. should i hold it longer?
Well if the PSU thing doesn't work i appreciate your help, but i will probably have to get a new mobo or something.
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:34:19 AM

Yea, try holding it a little bit longer like a min or two.
If nothing changes then it's prolly the power supply, or a problem with power on the motherboard. The only way to figure it out is to either test the power supply or get a known good one.
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:37:00 AM

Also, make sure the ATX 12v 2x4 connector has a wire going to it. In total, you should have two cables connected to your motherboard at this point. One big one with about 24 pins or 20 pins on it, and one small one that has either 4 pins or 8 pins on it and make sure they are seated correctly/fully.
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:42:21 AM

Ok, the CMOS jumper made no difference, and i am absolutely sure the mobo power cables are fully in, i have checked them many times. One thing i am confused with is why do i only get the beeps when i take my ram out/ there is no ram in the dimms?
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:48:11 AM

another thing, what would i connect the Vmeter to. i have a sort of homemade one that im not going to use, but i was just wondering where i would attach it to.
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:53:51 AM

The reason why you only get the beeps at certain times is because of the way the computer powers up. When the motherboard powers up, it does many checks before you even see a message on the screen(video card gets the last check). Those checks are usually BIOS, CPU, RAM, motherboard chipset, etc, etc. and usually in that order or somewhere close to it. But if power is no good then the computer will do a check on the RAM and see it not running correctly and stop there, or a whole bunch of wonky things happen because the power is no good.
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:59:06 AM

When you go to test power with a volt meter start with one of the connectors that goes to the DVD player or hard drive, the 4 pin connectors. You should see about 12v's on the red wire and about 5v's on the yellow wire give or take about .03-.04 volts.

And on the big power connector going into your mother board you should see 3.3v's on the first pin of the connector orange wire I believe.
m
l
September 8, 2012 10:02:37 AM

Thanks, you have helped me alot. I think i will give it a rest for tonight and take my pc to test the PSU tomorrow. I may private msg you if i need your help again but for now thanks.
m
l
September 8, 2012 10:04:29 AM

Sure, no problem. Have a good one =P

Sorry couldn't help you more =O
m
l
!