Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia geforce gtx 260 problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 21, 2012 1:03:45 AM

I have a Nvidia geforce gtx 260 graphic card
The problem is :
graphic card started to overheat like 2 weeks ago / Before it worked Great
any game with little better graphics card tottaly overheat,it can go to 105 celsius(saw that with Evga Precision X) then the whole computer freezes with some color on screen(depends where game stopped)

I searched on google,found some stuff,but nah

If anyone can help me with this,i'll be grateful!
July 21, 2012 1:24:04 AM

It could be a couple of things tbh. Lets start with the simple stuff.

Have you taken the card out and given it a good clean? Dust is a bugger for raising temps especially if the heatsink gets clogged up and airflow is significantly restricted?
July 21, 2012 1:40:24 AM

The 200series runs HOT. I have a GTX 275 that hits 105 quite easily even though its clean as a whistle... I would have redone the thermal paste but I swapped it out for a GTX 295 I got for like 40$.
Related resources
July 21, 2012 1:41:43 AM

If you're uncomfortable redoing the thermal paste, try underclocking it to extend the life of the card as much as you can.
July 21, 2012 1:48:18 AM

My gigabyte 260 soc never exceeded 75 at full whack. Whats your case cooling like?
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2012 2:36:10 AM

I agree with the previous comments that it needs a good dusting and a new coat of thermal paste.

I would go ahead and attempt to do that.

Might as well.
1.) It is most likely not good to run the card much longer at those temps
2.) It is most likely out of warranty.

It is not that hard to do.

I do however recommend using arctic silver if you are going to apply new thermal paste.

However I would call EVGA first and see what they say. Also inquire if your card is under warranty.
July 21, 2012 9:30:12 AM

I have cleaned it few days ago,no change
thermal paste,hmm i guess i should buy it
I don't have warranty because i bought graphic card from my friend without it
and my card is overclocked but that before wasn't a problem,worked great

Thanks for ur replys guys
Anyone possibly have some other solution?(maybe without going to shop for some new part of graphic card)
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 21, 2012 9:36:27 AM

EVGA honors warranties even from cards that exchanged owners. That's why I love EVGA. It won't hurt to give em a call to see if the card is still under warranty.
July 21, 2012 12:41:23 PM

Doesn't artic silver have quite a long bedding in time? I use MX-4 now and its fantastic and ready to go straight out of the tube. Another option for you.
!