Why won't it work?

seumas_beathan

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
So a few weeks ago I bought a used 5870 from someone some forums, I put it in my computer but it did not work, I then tried it in my brothers computer and It worked fine, I put this down to the psu, I have a 10 year old 500w psu he has a couple of years old 550w psu. So I spent another £50 getting a cx600 only to find that when it arrived the graphics card still displayed no picture, I then re tried it in my brothers pc and it still worked fine. I then tried his 5850 in mine and it worked fine.

And idea whats going on?

When I boot with the 5870 in but through onboard video the card isnt detected at all

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
If you can borrow another card (maybe from your brother's computer), check if it works in your motherboard. If not, there may be PCI-EXPRESS slot problem.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
in the bios usualy when you put a card in the pci-e slot that disable the internal,did you put the pci-e card as first graphic card in the bios and what is your motherboard name and model adding this also check if your both 6pins pci-e connector work well on that new psu

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
use page 41 of board manual to set internal and remove the card and see if you could get something from the internal graphic chipset on the card,the default is set to pci-e,it is also bugging me that the 5850 work but not the 5870

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
you put your psu and the 5870 on is system with is motherboard and everything work fine then you got the answer your motherboard got a defective pci-e slot if she still under warranty ask for rma