65w and 90w dc jack

I have an acer 5551g that had a 90w dc jack which had the wire break off. I ordered a replacement and received a 65w jack. Can I use this jack or will it cause an issue? I did notice the 65w jack has smaller gauge wires for connection to the mobo.
7 answers Last reply
More about jack
  1. Hi :)

I own a laptop repair company...

You NEED the correct jack..unless you like fires....

All the best Brett :)
  2. Thanks Brett, I appreciate your reply and that confirms my concern that the smaller gauge wires would not be up to the task of the extra current and heat up. I may try to re-solder the wires onto the 90w jack, any issues to look for?
  3. joehaske said:
    Thanks Brett, I appreciate your reply and that confirms my concern that the smaller gauge wires would not be up to the task of the extra current and heat up. I may try to re-solder the wires onto the 90w jack, any issues to look for?

Hi :)

Its not worth trying to repair a jack too much labour when it goes again (and it will...lol)

Get , the CORRECT new one...

4. Brett yes this is the second one on my daughter's computer, but she uses the thing for school and it will take another week to get so I thought I might try to make it work with a resolder as everything is already apart and waiting to put back together. The jacks are certainly cheap enough, it was just the wait I was thinking of. I suppose patience is a virtue...
  5. joehaske said:
    Brett yes this is the second one on my daughter's computer, but she uses the thing for school and it will take another week to get so I thought I might try to make it work with a resolder as everything is already apart and waiting to put back together. The jacks are certainly cheap enough, it was just the wait I was thinking of. I suppose patience is a virtue...

Hi :)

You WILL have to do it again lol....

Patience... or overnight carriage... :)

6. Brett, well then patience it is! I really appreciate you sharing your expertise.

Joe
  7. Yvw :)

Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Acer Connection Components