Sign in with
Your question

Putting PC together. No idea what I am doing! Need help

Last response: in Systems
September 7, 2012 7:18:46 PM

This is so annoying. Everyone told me its a walk in the park.
Its the little things. None of these manuals explain where to connect all these power supply connections, or what order to put this things together.

I have the power supply in, with the cables pushed out the back. All the motherboard standoffs are in. I placed the CPU in the motherboard, and it is now just sitting there. I am not sure if the cooler master 212 evo needs to be put on after or before the optical drive is installed (will I be able to get the OD in with the evo installed?). How do I even put the thermal paste on the cpu?

Do I connect the power cables as I go? Or do it all at the end?

I might just have a computer guy next door do it. He said he would charge $120. This is beyond hectic.

Cpu: i5-3750k
case: CM HAF 912
gpu: radeon hd 6870
Mobo: Asrock z77 extreme 4
cpu cooler: CM 212 evo
hdd: 500gb 7200rpm western digital
psu: 600w OCZ
memory: 8gb ripjaw (2x 4)
optical drive: Samsung dvd R/W

More about : putting idea

September 7, 2012 11:16:41 PM

Watch some how-to videos to figure out the little things. I would never pay someone $120 to do it. That's just a rip.
m
l
Related resources
September 7, 2012 11:20:57 PM

^ +1

There's plenty of videos on the web at the moment. Newegg has a great in-depth 3-part tutorial on how to build a PC....$120 is just a scam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_QVWBm4CI4 <-This is LGA2011, you'll need a backplate for LGA1155. The instructions that came with the 212 should tell you which side of the backplate to use, and which holes to use as well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/333968-28-thermal-pas... <- thermal paste installation/removal guide.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-g... <-step-by-step guide to building a PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls <-newegg's video of building a PC.
m
l
September 7, 2012 11:23:16 PM

Hi :) 

With that level of computer knowledge, you should pay a pro to build it....

BEFORE you ruin something... like blowing the cpu or motherboard...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
September 7, 2012 11:24:06 PM

Install the heatsink first. Then the RAM. Then, mount it in the case. Then, connect the PSU power connectors, DVD drive, etc.
m
l
September 7, 2012 11:24:36 PM

obsama1 said:
It's easier than it looks. You're not going to blow a CPU/mobo like that. Just watch some installation videos, and you should be good to go.

You CANNOT know he wont blow anything...its always a risk.....he has NO idea where any of the connections go , or even what they are... :( 

m
l
September 7, 2012 11:24:58 PM

And as a pro $120 is NOT a scam...my company charges £100 to build a machine from customers parts (assuming they even bought the correct parts in the first place)

If you pay a pro, you get it built PROPERLY...

m
l
September 7, 2012 11:25:01 PM

It's easier than it looks. You're not going to blow a CPU/mobo like that. Just watch some installation videos, and you should be good to go.
m
l
September 7, 2012 11:26:11 PM

Well, the ports/connections are diagrammed in the mobo manual, and the PSU manual diagrams all the cables. So, logically, you plug in the CPU power cable into the CPU power header. As long as you don't force anything into a header/port, you should be OK.
m
l
September 7, 2012 11:27:01 PM

I mean no offense, but paying a pro doesn't get it built properly. What do they do? Plug in cables and do some cable management? For £100?
m
l
September 7, 2012 11:27:11 PM

Brett928S2 said:

And as a pro $120 is NOT a scam...my company charges £100 to build a machine from customers parts (assuming they even bought the correct parts in the first place)

If you pay a pro, you get it built PROPERLY...

Yeah I'm aware most places charge more :lol:  but given there's lots of info on the web, I couldn't resist saying it! :na:  My apologies :) 
m
l
September 7, 2012 11:29:02 PM

obsama1 said:
I mean no offense, but paying a pro doesn't get it built properly. What do they do? Plug in cables and do some cable management? For £100?

They also pay rent, build a reputation, and try and run a business at a profit...

You are paying for their knowledge and qualifications.... like when you pay anyone else....like a plumber or electrician...

m
l
September 7, 2012 11:29:59 PM

obsama1 said:
Well, the ports/connections are diagrammed in the mobo manual, and the PSU manual diagrams all the cables. So, logically, you plug in the CPU power cable into the CPU power header. As long as you don't force anything into a header/port, you should be OK.

You are looking at this with YOUR degree of knowledge... not his....

He wouldnt know the difference between a power cable and a mobo speaker cable by the sound of it...

He NEEDS to take it to a pro...and I dont say that often here...but he does....

m
l
September 7, 2012 11:30:38 PM

True, and again, I mean no offense. But building a PC, is simpler than plumbing or electricity. Half an hour of research, and you could learn how to assemble it.
m
l
September 7, 2012 11:33:03 PM

I used to know nothing about computers. Building one seemed absurd to me. But, after some Google searches and some YT videos, now I know a lot more than I used to know. I would advise that for the OP. Just watch the Newegg 3-part "How to Build a PC" tutorials. Great resource.
m
l
September 7, 2012 11:34:27 PM

obsama1 said:
True, and again, I mean no offense. But building a PC, is simpler than plumbing or electricity. Half an hour of research, and you could learn how to assemble it.

Ok..lets follow your arguemant...lets say that by some miracle he manages to assemble it.....

With his knowledge (or huge lack of it)...precisely HOW is he going to set a modern Bios ????

m
l
September 7, 2012 11:37:47 PM

You are acting as if he can not do research nor learn. You are also assuming that he knows nothing. His questions are easily answered. The BIOS is insanely easy with the UEFI. What would he go into the BIOS for? You rarely need to go into the BIOS to assemble a PC.
m
l
September 7, 2012 11:38:12 PM

It takes more than 30 minutes to learn how to build a PC SAFELY....

Lets just hope his next post is not...UMMM there is smoke coming out of my Motherboard....

m
l
September 7, 2012 11:39:44 PM

Safely? OK, don't put it on a carpet and use an anti-static wriststrap. It's mostly common sense. Don't put the CPU in the RAM slot, don't touch the pins, etc.
m
l
September 7, 2012 11:43:04 PM

obsama1 said:
What would he go into the BIOS for? You rarely need to go into the BIOS to assemble a PC.

I REALLY REALLY cannot believe you just said that.... :( 

Look the guy is bright enough to come here and ask for advice....

Hes got two lots of advice here.....

One from some people who have built a couple of machines...

One from me whose company builds hundreds of machines a year....and we come across a lot of customers like the OP who have bought parts and suddenly realise that building it is beyond them....there is no shame in that...

Not everyone is good at everything....

So.... the OP can take his choice of advice...

m
l
September 7, 2012 11:46:30 PM

You might go in it to update it, overclock, and set memory speeds, but it's pretty easy to navigate the UEFI.

You are right though. Some people aren't the best. But, let's try to gently guide the OP. Sorry for getting into this debate and going off-topic!
m
l
September 7, 2012 11:47:57 PM

At the point that you've invested so many hours into it that you would have made more than $120 doing whatever you do for a living, it starts to become of a waste of your time than paying a professional to do it.

That's not a deterrence from do-it-yourself projects. That's just a time/cost benefit analysis. You'll have to decide at what point it's no longer worth your time.
m
l
September 7, 2012 11:50:09 PM

Well, this thread was an interesting read, and I actually agree with both points of view, to an extent.

Building a computer from scratch is easy for most tech inclined people (one of the esiest things that I, personally know how to do), but for the people that aren't, there's always a professional to help you out.

Whether paying a professional is worth it or not is debatable (at least if you're a semi-quick learner and can comprehend what you see and read on how to build a computer yourself).
m
l
September 8, 2012 6:23:18 AM

I have always messed around with pc's and built my first s few months back and although assembly was easy enough, getting all cables tidy and everything set the way I wanted it took the time! To the OP : if after watching videos/ doing a bit more googling you are still stuck and really lost then i would say take it to someone as u have some expensive parts there. Whilst its unlikel you will set fire to anything as claimed in this thread, it's probably not worth the risk if your really not sure.
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:20:52 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
!