My computer won't recognize my graphics card?

twood16

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
About a month ago I bought a gtx580 graphics card and installed it correctly into my computer but my computer failed to recognize it. The graphics card would turn on and the fan would start spinning but my computer still wouldn't recognize it. I tried differne tthings like going into to the BIOS and switching from the motherboard graphics to the PCIE slot but that didn't work> Also i tried taking it out and reseating several times but that didn't work either. So i figuered it was just a bad card so I went through the process of returninig it and getiing a new one. Well the new one arrived yesterday and to my horror, I am having the exact same problem as the last one! So if anyone could offer any help at all it would be greatly appreciated because I have no idea what to do now!

my computer specs:
i5 2500k processor
EVGA GTX580 graphics card
p8z68-v/gen3 motherboard
ax850 corsair gold power supply
16GB corsair vengence ddr3 ram

twood16

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Devil- yeah unfortunately i already tried that, it didnt work

scout- yeah i was thinking of that as well. If thats the case, is there anything i can do besides return the motherboard?

rolli- unfortunately i dont have another computer to try it and i have tried it in another slot

thanks!

El Tigre

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Does your BIOS even recognize your GTX 580?

You can do a full CMOS reset. Shut down your computer, then unplug it, then take out the little button cell battery and wait a few minutes. After that, replace the battery, then plug the power, then boot the computer and hope it works. Sometimes doing a CMOS reset can correct issues like these.

Delete all the video software and drivers
turn off all the antivirus and firewall, disable all installed security programs
re install all the latest drivers and video software
restart the computer
turn all the security back on.
Security and firewall will stop a device from installing or drivers from loading correctly.

twood16

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

If you are still having this problem you could try updating your bios. That is what wound up working for me.