Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

6230 maximum size of mmc card

Tags:
  • Nokia
Last response: in Brands
Share
September 23, 2004 3:58:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

will a nokia 6230 take a 1gb mmc?
are there any brands of mmc to steer away from ?

More about : 6230 maximum size mmc card

Anonymous
September 23, 2004 3:58:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

kenshin wrote:
> will a nokia 6230 take a 1gb mmc?
> are there any brands of mmc to steer away from ?
>
>


Hi,

Yes it will take a 1GB card , but it will not report the correct size or
free space, it tends to say you have 80MB, then just as you hit 0mb i
believe the phone says you have no mb left but it still loads info just
fine upto the 1GB limit, Someone said this reporting size error was
fixed in firmware V4.28, and as you say, the 6230 is very picky at what
cards it will work with , there is a compatibility list on this forum -

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=cff5a620b2...

The last post on there page is the list of tried and tested MMC cards
and ones to avoid

There is also a company, www.MobyMemory.com who do cards guaranteed to
work with your phone.

Regards

Lee
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 12:59:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"kenshin" <kenshin@nospam.com> wrote in news:41522dca$0$10350$afc38c87
@news.optusnet.com.au:

> will a nokia 6230 take a 1gb mmc?
> are there any brands of mmc to steer away from ?
>
>


Unfortunately, some brands at some sizes work, while bigger cards from the
same brand don't. It's a minefield!

Luckily, there is a thread on HowardForums that provides a list of known-
working brands and sizes.

But remember, the bigger the card, the bigger the power consumption.

And the 6230 is very picky about its power supply.

There's always a trade-off... :-(


--
sA
Related resources
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 3:04:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"southpawArcher" <null@null.null> wrote in message
news:Xns956DDFC3CAB17777rgb777@212.159.2.87...
> "kenshin" <kenshin@nospam.com> wrote in news:41522dca$0$10350$afc38c87

> But remember, the bigger the card, the bigger the power consumption.

That's not exactly true. Bigger MMC flash memory cards don't use any more
power than small ones. Typically 10ma to read and 30ma to write. In fact,
according to the specifications I have, Flash memory cards of greater
capacity tend to use less power than ones with less capacity, but that's
just because bigger capacities tend to use more modern technology which, in
general, uses less power. Flash memory doesn't work in the same way as
computer RAM that requires a refresh cycle every few nano-seconds to keep
its contents (this uses more power the more RAM you have).

The only reason why people report lower battery life with bigger MMC cards
is that the people with bigger cards tend to load and save more stuff to
them, i.e. they tend to take more pictures, not worrying about running out
of space, copy their half a gig of MP3s to their phones and sit playing them
all day, even the fact that they tend to store more files and folders means
it takes the phone longer to list them all, etc. It's this extra usage that
makes the battery last a shorter time, not the fact that it's a bigger
capacity flash card.

Adam
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 1:49:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"Adam Greatrix" <extorian@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in
news:civh9h046o@news3.newsguy.com:

> "southpawArcher" <null@null.null> wrote in message
> news:Xns956DDFC3CAB17777rgb777@212.159.2.87...
>> "kenshin" <kenshin@nospam.com> wrote in
>> news:41522dca$0$10350$afc38c87
>
>> But remember, the bigger the card, the bigger the power consumption.
>
> That's not exactly true. Bigger MMC flash memory cards don't use any
> more power than small ones. Typically 10ma to read and 30ma to write.
> In fact, according to the specifications I have, Flash memory cards of
> greater capacity tend to use less power than ones with less capacity,
> but that's just because bigger capacities tend to use more modern
> technology which, in general, uses less power. Flash memory doesn't
> work in the same way as computer RAM that requires a refresh cycle
> every few nano-seconds to keep its contents (this uses more power the
> more RAM you have).
>
> The only reason why people report lower battery life with bigger MMC
> cards is that the people with bigger cards tend to load and save more
> stuff to them, i.e. they tend to take more pictures, not worrying
> about running out of space, copy their half a gig of MP3s to their
> phones and sit playing them all day, even the fact that they tend to
> store more files and folders means it takes the phone longer to list
> them all, etc. It's this extra usage that makes the battery last a
> shorter time, not the fact that it's a bigger capacity flash card.
>
> Adam
>
>
>

I didn't mention battery life in my OP.

I, and everyone else, understands how volatile RAM and flash memory works
[qv. the differences], so we'll brush that under the carpet.

I was referring to consumption, NOT capacity.

Because you offered an opinion, I'm assuming you have a 6230; you can
test this for yourself.

Using a 128/256MB card, start the MP3 player and then start browsing WAP
sites. All OK?

Now try the same with a 512MB or up. Did the phone restart, or the music
skip (also does this when the phone hops to a new cell: try this on a
train)? You can listen to music fine on its own, just don't expect to be
able to do anything else, because it uses more power. More than the
phone/battery can deliver.

Which was my original point.



--
sA
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 7:35:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

On 25 Sep 2004 09:49:44 GMT, southpawArcher <null@null.null> wrote:

>"Adam Greatrix" <extorian@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in
>news:civh9h046o@news3.newsguy.com:
>
>> "southpawArcher" <null@null.null> wrote in message
>> news:Xns956DDFC3CAB17777rgb777@212.159.2.87...
>>> "kenshin" <kenshin@nospam.com> wrote in
>>> news:41522dca$0$10350$afc38c87
>>
>>> But remember, the bigger the card, the bigger the power consumption.
>>
>> That's not exactly true. Bigger MMC flash memory cards don't use any
>> more power than small ones. Typically 10ma to read and 30ma to write.
>> In fact, according to the specifications I have, Flash memory cards of
>> greater capacity tend to use less power than ones with less capacity,
>> but that's just because bigger capacities tend to use more modern
>> technology which, in general, uses less power. Flash memory doesn't
>> work in the same way as computer RAM that requires a refresh cycle
>> every few nano-seconds to keep its contents (this uses more power the
>> more RAM you have).
>>
>> The only reason why people report lower battery life with bigger MMC
>> cards is that the people with bigger cards tend to load and save more
>> stuff to them, i.e. they tend to take more pictures, not worrying
>> about running out of space, copy their half a gig of MP3s to their
>> phones and sit playing them all day, even the fact that they tend to
>> store more files and folders means it takes the phone longer to list
>> them all, etc. It's this extra usage that makes the battery last a
>> shorter time, not the fact that it's a bigger capacity flash card.
>>
>> Adam
>>
>>
>>
>
>I didn't mention battery life in my OP.
>
>I, and everyone else, understands how volatile RAM and flash memory works
>[qv. the differences], so we'll brush that under the carpet.
>
>I was referring to consumption, NOT capacity.
>
>Because you offered an opinion, I'm assuming you have a 6230; you can
>test this for yourself.
>
>Using a 128/256MB card, start the MP3 player and then start browsing WAP
>sites. All OK?
>
>Now try the same with a 512MB or up. Did the phone restart, or the music
>skip (also does this when the phone hops to a new cell: try this on a
>train)? You can listen to music fine on its own, just don't expect to be
>able to do anything else, because it uses more power. More than the
>phone/battery can deliver.
>
>Which was my original point.

The symptoms you describe sound more like a limitation of the
processing power of the phone. When you use the phrase "power
consumption" most people will interpret that to mean battery
consumption, which is what I think Adam did.

Chris
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 3:57:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"Chris Blunt" <chris_blunt@despammed.com> wrote in message
news:refcl0p25vpbfqdfukf6l0krt54r3ferkj@4ax.com...
> The symptoms you describe sound more like a limitation of the
> processing power of the phone. When you use the phrase "power
> consumption" most people will interpret that to mean battery
> consumption, which is what I think Adam did.

Yes to both points. The larger the MMC card (which on Nokia's and in most
other cases) the larger the file allocation table (or at least the more data
in it, more space usually means more files), hence the more time it takes to
process this information. Also, the larger the MMC card the longer it takes
to address the data on it.

I did interpret "power" to mean battery power. Sorry for the
misunderstanding.

Adam
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 4:07:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"southpawArcher" <null@null.null> wrote in message
news:Xns956F6E2A3BE497777rgb777@212.159.2.86...
> I, and everyone else, understands how volatile RAM and flash memory works
> [qv. the differences], so we'll brush that under the carpet.

It was a simple mistake that I made. When you said "power" I assumed you
meant battery power, rather than processor power. I'm sorry if I patronised
you.

> I was referring to consumption, NOT capacity.

Still ambiguous though - consumption of battery power or consumption of
processor power? I know what you mean now that you've clarified it though.

> Because you offered an opinion, I'm assuming you have a 6230; you can
> test this for yourself.
>
> Using a 128/256MB card, start the MP3 player and then start browsing WAP
> sites. All OK?

Yes.

> Now try the same with a 512MB or up. Did the phone restart, or the music
> skip (also does this when the phone hops to a new cell: try this on a
> train)? You can listen to music fine on its own, just don't expect to be
> able to do anything else, because it uses more power. More than the
> phone/battery can deliver.

Phone did not restart.

Phone did "skip" twice when browsing complicated sites and scrolling through
the images.

Didn't try this when moving.

Firmware 4.28.

However, MMC cards are different makes. Somebody should try this test with
the same brand of MMC card in case it's just slower memory anyway on my
512MB card.

Adam
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 7:03:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Hey. You seem to know alot about nokia firmware and MMC cards. Can you
help me? I have recently purchased a 1GB MMC card and as yet, havn't
had my firmware upgraded to run it. Can you tell me the latest firmware
fro the 6230, and also, with my phone still being under nokia warrenty,
will i be charged for the firmware upgrade and if so, how much?
Alan
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 6:41:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

that firmware won't format it, but using a MMC card reader
and a PC, you can format it as FAT32 and the 6230 can use it...
I have a 1gb on my 6230 right now filled with 850mb of mp3 music....

In article <1106308983.155984.41420@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
alan_2k3@hotmail.com writes:
> Hey. You seem to know alot about nokia firmware and MMC cards. Can you
> help me? I have recently purchased a 1GB MMC card and as yet, havn't
> had my firmware upgraded to run it. Can you tell me the latest firmware
> fro the 6230, and also, with my phone still being under nokia warrenty,
> will i be charged for the firmware upgrade and if so, how much?
> Alan
>

--
Mike
!