Sign in with
Your question

AMD A6 vs. INTEL i5 (basic question)

Last response: in CPUs
January 23, 2013 12:45:57 AM

Hi, im looking to buy a new laptop, but dont know whether to go for the HP envy 6-100sa sleekbook (A6 4455m) (my prefference) or the pavilion g6-2212sa (i5-3210m)..

I spend on average around 10hrs a day on a laptop, usually carrying it with me, hence liking the sleekbook more because its thinner and lighter (and visually pleasing).

Iv'e always had a bad history with tech, so what im asking is which would be best for me, for general web surfing, mainly watching/streaming films, the odd game & most of all, longetivity (which would be more reliable and keep its quick speed over time)?

Don't really want to spend anything over £400 & the AMD seems to be the best for that price range?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me with this.

a b à CPUs
January 23, 2013 12:48:49 AM

intel>amd
a c 78 à CPUs
January 23, 2013 2:31:04 AM

The AMD has better built in graphics.

The Intel has better processor.

The stuff you are looking to do won't really tax either so price may be the determining factor.

If they are close in price, I would go with the Intel.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2013 2:41:34 AM

Z1NONLY said:
The AMD has better built in graphics.

The Intel has better processor.

The stuff you are looking to do won't really tax either so price may be the determining factor.

If they are close in price, I would go with the Intel.

Yea amd graphic cards are fine. but there cpus are pretty meh. i wouldnt really tell you to get one unless your on a budget
a c 78 à CPUs
January 23, 2013 10:11:30 AM

stantheman123 said:
Yea amd graphic cards are fine. but there cpus are pretty meh. i wouldnt really tell you to get one unless your on a budget

I was talking about the difference between the integrated GPU (iGPU) on each chip.

It's the one place where AMD still has a performance edge.

But The CPU? Not so much.

a b à CPUs
January 23, 2013 10:19:25 AM

Oh woops there apus are great sorry i misunderstood :p . Maybie the apu would be better for gaming since this is a laptop. however my laptop knowledge is small.
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2013 1:38:22 PM

If it's between intergrated graphics, then the APU wins.
January 23, 2013 3:30:24 PM

In terms of reliability (i cant seem to keep a laptop in good shape for 2years) and keeping its speed over time, which would be best, im guessing i5?

& Thanks for the help guys, i'll probably go with the i5.
a c 78 à CPUs
January 23, 2013 4:06:25 PM

That probably has more to do with who makes the laptop. Both processors are reliable far longer than you will want to keep the laptop, when operated at correct temps and voltages.

In thins case it seems they are both the same brand, so there is probably little to no difference in reliablity between the two.

January 23, 2013 4:31:09 PM

Z1NONLY said:
That probably has more to do with who makes the laptop. Both processors are reliable far longer than you will want to keep the laptop, when operated at correct temps and voltages.

In thins case it seems they are both the same brand, so there is probably little to no difference in reliablity between the two.

Ahh ok thanks for that, and yeah they're both HP (envy A6, pavilion i5)
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2013 7:25:03 AM

Price difference?
!