Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First time build, purchasing this week

Last response: in Systems
September 8, 2012 9:21:52 AM

Hello everyone! I am very close to finally purchasing the parts for my build (sometime this week). I'd like to have some opinions on it.

My budget is $700-$800, obviously the lower the better.

This is mainly going to be a gaming computer, though nothing extreme, but better graphics than my fried xbox 360 lol. I will also use it for internet browsing and word processing.

I am aiming for a microATX build. I do not plan to overclock or run crossfire/sli at all.

I don't need an OS.

I also won't need an optical drive, I have an external one. I rarely use it anyway.

I'm still debating on whether I should buy a 1080p monitor. I have a 720p HDTV I could use as a monitor but I've read they don't function well as monitors.

Here is the list I have so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Agility 3 90GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($212.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($37.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: OCZ 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Monitor ($136.40 @ Amazon)
Total: $784.88
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-08 05:21 EDT-0400)

Best solution

September 8, 2012 10:17:46 AM

Looks good to me bud.
September 8, 2012 10:30:17 AM

I'm not an expert, but I've been hearing a lot of negative things about OCZ.
Anybody else have thoughts on this?
m
l
Related resources
September 8, 2012 3:12:47 PM

TheBigTroll said:
this costs a bit more but you get a much more reliable SSD, a slightly better 7850, slightly better monitor, and a better power supply

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gT1q

Thanks! That final price isn't too much more expensive and id definitely like to go for better reliability.

Thanks to all who have replied as well! I tried to pick parts based on price and Newegg reviews but I can see that some agree the PSU could be better.

*Edit*

The suggested PSU here is 400w, while it seems good for the current build, would it be enough to allow me to upgrade to a more powerful GPU in a couple of years?

I originally planned to get a 600w PSU to have room to upgrade later. I also want a modular design mostly to keep good airflow in the small case.
m
l
September 8, 2012 5:48:08 PM

Newegg has a pretty good promo on i5 3470 right now. PCPartPicker doesn't reflect the promo price but its actually less than $199. I just need to buy it before monday!

I'm considering holding off on buying a monitor until after black friday sales and perhaps going with a 7950. I'm not sure if that will be overkill for a one monitor set up right now though.
m
l
September 8, 2012 6:43:45 PM

chetorch said:
Thanks! That final price isn't too much more expensive and id definitely like to go for better reliability.

Thanks to all who have replied as well! I tried to pick parts based on price and Newegg reviews but I can see that some agree the PSU could be better.

*Edit*

The suggested PSU here is 400w, while it seems good for the current build, would it be enough to allow me to upgrade to a more powerful GPU in a couple of years?

I originally planned to get a 600w PSU to have room to upgrade later. I also want a modular design mostly to keep good airflow in the small case.

If the trend continues, you'll find GPU's using less and less power. Personally, a 400 watt PSU is on the low side, but it will work. I'd feel more comfortable getting something in the 500watt range, from a reputable manufacturer.
m
l
September 8, 2012 8:46:09 PM

chetorch said:

*Edit*

the 400w is modular and pretty dam cheap. for the most part, GPUs are going to become more efficient but if you do want more wattage, ill give you the option. just that this one will be non-modular

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59615&vpn=P1550SXXB9&m...

m
l
September 9, 2012 10:25:06 AM

I've used Antec Basiqs in a few computer builds and never had an issue with them.
m
l
September 9, 2012 12:26:03 PM

xfx psus are better
m
l
September 9, 2012 12:28:14 PM

TheBigTroll said:
xfx psus are better
None i could find that are fully modular that i could think of a way to convince him it's worth paying $89.99 for :na:  kidding honestly the capstone is fine or that seasonic there allot better then one hes currently thinking of buying
m
l
September 9, 2012 12:32:33 PM

it is 79.99 after MIR
m
l
September 9, 2012 12:44:32 PM

TheBigTroll said:
it is 79.99 after MIR
Good point well if he'll go for it i think that's great it just seems hes really trying to skimp there which he shouldn't that is one of the worse places to skimp at as you well know then again i been in his shoes i remember one time a guy was trying to convince me to buy a PSU that was 67.00 more than my current choice and i was like hell no lucky i picked a decent one though :lol: 
m
l
September 9, 2012 2:18:38 PM

bigcyco1 said:
these are the ones you should pick from if you prefer modular http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or..... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

thanks for the suggestions, however both links provided just take me to the newegg star page.

I hear Seasonic is a good PSU maker. Antec sells PSUs made by Seasonic so thats why I was looking at it.

I'm trying not to skimp on any parts, I'm not neglecting each parts function. I just don't think inexpensive always means cheaply made. Or that expensive means its the best.
m
l
September 9, 2012 2:24:07 PM

not all antec units are made by seasonic. all xfx units are made by seasonic, just that xfx designs the shell
m
l
September 9, 2012 2:29:49 PM

chetorch said:
thanks for the suggestions, however both links provided just take me to the newegg star page.

I hear Seasonic is a good PSU maker. Antec sells PSUs made by Seasonic so thats why I was looking at it.

I'm trying not to skimp on any parts, I'm not neglecting each parts function. I just don't think inexpensive always means cheaply made. Or that expensive means its the best.
I understand what you mean here the links again with the model number in case some weird reason does that to you again
SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
15% off w/ promo code SSPSUSEP12, ends 9/10 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and this one is made by Super flower it's gold plus rated and a bit cheaper the seasonic usually between these two i go with the cheaper cost wise one Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-550-M 550W ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
September 9, 2012 9:03:02 PM

bigcyco1 said:
I understand what you mean here the links again with the model number in case some weird reason does that to you again
SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
15% off w/ promo code SSPSUSEP12, ends 9/10 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and this one is made by Super flower it's gold plus rated and a bit cheaper the seasonic usually between these two i go with the cheaper cost wise one Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-550-M 550W ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Awesome, the Rosewill PSU seems great! I'll be looking into it.

Thanks for the help guys!
m
l
September 9, 2012 9:17:39 PM

chetorch said:
Awesome, the Rosewill PSU seems great! I'll be looking into it.

Thanks for the help guys!
No problem your very welcome!
m
l
September 10, 2012 4:01:24 AM

Best answer selected by chetorch.
m
l
!