ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 driver issues

shrekdb

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Hi,

I own a MSI CX 620 notebook with Intel Core i3 & ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 (Switchable Graphics) - 1GB, running on Win 7 32 bit. I had sent my laptop for service and they had changed the motherboard & HDD.

For some reason, my ATI drivers are not responding and I am unable to access the Catalyst Control Center. This is a problem because I am not even able to adjust the screen resolution in my laptop. I tried installing the latest drivers from AMD website and also the original drivers provided by MSI along with the laptop. Same result. ATI GPU doesn't respond, and worse it ruins the system boot-up time to 5mins.

What am I doing wrong? Should I fixing or making changes in the Bios? or has my GPU gone kaput? Please help!

You are not doing anything wrong, it's a compatibility bug, and it does not affect all computers...
Sign in as administrator (If you are not administrator you may be blocked)
Close all the applications that are being used...save and close your files...
Turn Off the antivirus and firewall, turn off the functions of windows defender.
If you have multiple security programs installed, they must be turned ALL off. Security will prevent your driver from installing...
Download the latest CCC driver package, and save it to an easy location. Make sure this is the correct driver for your card.
Delete all the current AMD video software and drivers, restart the system (the video will look screwy, don't worry)
Now load install all the newest CCC drivers and restart the system (the driver will not work (yet) as you said, but load it anyway)
At this point, you may be able to click start, control panel, adjust screen resolution, and then using the windows driver, adjust the basic resolution. after trying that:

left click start
left click computer
right click C drive
Left click Open
Right click Users
Left click properties
"Check" mark the box that says: Attributes: "Hidden" (there is now a check-mark in the "Hidden" box)
Click: "Apply"
Now the system will apply the hidden attributes...and this will take a while, or maybe a long while. Let this proceed, and don't interrupt it...
During this procedure, a message may inform you that you do not have administrator privilege to the file you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK. Just click: "ignore all," Then click OK
When this procedure is finished, click OK (the box will close after you click OK)
Now you will once again be looking at folders in C drive, or open and view the contents of C drive again as described above.
(once again) right click Users
(once again) left click properties
UN- check the box that says: Attributes "Hidden" (you will now take the check mark OUT, Hidden is no longer checked)
Click Apply
Now the computer will UN-apply the hidden attributes, and it may take a while, or a long while...but let it proceed, and finish, don't interrupt it.
During this procedure, a message may inform you that you are not the administrator of the file that you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK, just click: "ignore all" Then click OK
When this attributes change is completed click OK
Now close all windows and restart the computer
turn all the security back on.
At this point, the CCC should be functional. Open the CCC and test the functions...

Typically, too many applications will be running at the same time. You have to get in there and delete as many un used and un needed apps as possible. This will free up system resources.
Typically if somebody download Goggle Chrome, MS Silver light, 3 media players, etc...etc... ALL that junk should be deleted.
You only need Firefox, not 3 browsers.
You only need media player, not 3 different players, not DVD theater, etc etc, you do not need 3 disk copy apps, etc etc.
You see where this is going?
Typically, the average user is running at least 20 un used un needed applications, or more. They eat up a huge amount of resources and slow the thing to a crawl.

The processor especially in a laptop can only run so many processes at once. It only has so much room inside.
When the requests back up, because there is not enough processor to fulfill all the requests at once,
the result can be freezing, or very slow operation.
Slow operation is usually that the processor space is backed up with requests...

Eliminating as many unused / unnecessary processes as possible will "unclog" the backup.

shrekdb

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
@soundguruman,

Thanks for your replies. I did try your suggestion of turning on and off the hidden attributes in my laptop, but seems to have done no difference to the CCC program, it still doesn't respond at all. As for the clogged up response in the system, I have not installed any programs, since its very hard to work on a laptop at 1024x768 resolution.

Anything else that I should be trying? I sincerely hope that this problem is only with the driver incompatibility and/or some SW related issue. I hope my GPU is working fine, or should I check that?

Things to be observed here, the Motherboard was changed during the laptop service. Could it possible that the GPU is not actually compatible with the new motherboard?

sync1014

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
download the driver from msi website and not from ati site.

http://www.msi.com/product/nb/CX620.html#/?div=Driver&os=Win7%2064