Problem upgrading LGA1156 i3 540 -> i5 760

dr_dom

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Hello,

I have Gigabyte H55M-UD2H http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3503#ov motherboard with 8Gb (2x4Gb) RAM and Radeon HD 5770 graphics. I am trying to upgrade my processor from Core i3 540 to i5 760 but the system won't boot; no POST beep even though system powers up, all fans except from the heat sink fan and hard drives do power up.

The BIOS is the newest version (F11) and it supports the processor. I can swap between the old and new processor so obviously there is nothing else wrong with the setup. Furthermore, I have carefully gone through this list http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-13-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems and motherboard manual. The onboard graphics are disabled in BIOS.

Can you come up with any further experiments or did I really manage to buy a faulty chip..

thanks!

No. Maybe your graphics card is not compatable with your h55 motheboard or your power supply is incompatable. I would start with the power supply. Try swapping it out if you have a spare.

dr_dom

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
i5 760 is brand new. I don't have a spare PSU to try at the moment.

I also tried removing Radeon and memory. While i3 gives the "memory-missing beep" there is no beep when i5 is installed. Maybe this hints that the CPU might really be faulty?

dr_dom

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

Graphics card works just fine with my old i3 CPU. Is it really possible that my reasonably new (~5years) Antec Neo HE 380W power supply is not compatible with i5 CPU?

A power supply may not be compatible with a motherboard (I had that issue with an Antec Neo HE 430 and an Intel motherboard), but I've never heard of a PSU-CPU incompatibility. I would simply RMA the new CPU.

F11 (dated 2010/08/20) isn't required for that CPU, but it's in the BIOS download section.

dr_dom

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Maybe there is some kind of incompatibility with PSU and MB. It did not manage to POST i3 with integrated graphics either (I tried this when I purchased mu old i3. Eventually I did not end up using integrated graphics, so I did not care about this). The "symptoms" were exactly similar. Do you think it would be worth purchasing new PSU?

Onboard graphics should have worked with the i3, but they won't with the i5. It's up to you to decide if you should buy a new PSU, but can't you borrow one from another system? Even an old ATX PSU with a 20-pin power connector would be fine for that test.