Sign in with
Your question

Post problems with new build

Last response: in Systems
September 8, 2012 1:19:30 PM

Help please!!

I've recently acquired all the components for a new build and I set about assembling them for a bench test.

When it came to that magic moment where I expected a post beep, my computer decided to power down instead. It then powered up and down in a 10-20 second cycle until I turned it off.

There have been two random occasions where the post was successful, and one occasion where the power remained on, but no beep was forthcoming. Unfortunately I did not have the system connected to a screen for the two successful posts, and the third semi-successful attempt yielded a blank screen.

The system does appear to power up fine when there is no ram installed, and I am greeted with the continuous beeping memory error.

I've been scouring the internet looking for solutions, but they don't seem to exist.

My Set up is as follows:

Intel i5 3570K Ivy Bridge CPU
ASUS P8H61-M PRO Motherboard
Corsair 2x4GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
AMD 7950 GPU
120GB SSD
1TB HDD
750W PSU

I've swapped out the PSU with no resolution, and I've tested the CPU on another mobo.
I've tried all RAM combinations, and I've tested the RAM in another machine.

If it is a BIOS issue, is there any way to get crashfree bios 3 working on this system?

Has anyone out there had a similar problem? If anyone could give me some advice, it would be much appreciated!!

More about : post problems build

September 8, 2012 1:48:34 PM

You dummy (i meant dumb@$$ :lol:  just kidding.).... why did you buy a i5 3570k with a H61 motherboard???? dahell were you thinking?

i am 99% that you have to update the BIOS on that motherboard to support Ivy bridge... but the smartest thing you can do right now is return it and get a Z77 motherboard.

btw... i hope you didn't cheap out when you picked that PSU... only a handful of PSU brands are good.
September 8, 2012 2:06:01 PM

And yes, the ideal thing would be to return it and get a Z77 motherboard.
No reason to get an overclockable CPU on an unoverclockable motherboard.

Exactly which PSU is that?
Related resources
September 8, 2012 4:14:49 PM

Thanks for the replies. My PSU is a bronze certified corsair, and in any event I swapped it out for another with no resolution. I think your probably right in suggesting that I switch the mobo. Thought I'd get away with cheaping out a bit there, but it just bit me in the ass I guess.

Sending it back as we speak.
September 8, 2012 4:52:09 PM

Sounds like you got the TX750W. Very good PSU.

Just to suggest a few boards:

ASrock Z77 Extreme4
Overclockable: yes
SLI compatible: yes
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z77extr...

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
SLI compatible: yes
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz77...

ASrock Z77 Pro4
SLI compatible: no
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z77pro4

Forgot to mention those will only work if your case is big enough to support ATX motherboards.
The one you're returning is Micro-ATX.
!