Quick Question about the H100i

TaylorM237

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Hello Toms hardware,

I currently have an H80 on my AMD FX-4170 CPU (Overclocked to 5GHz). And I was looking at getting an H100i because I got a new case for Christmas. And I just have a few questions.

My case is a Cooler Master - Storm Trooper series case, and I was wondering if there would be enough space for an H100i to fit in it? Main reason why I ask is because my Motherboard is an M5A99X, and one of the Heat Spreaders are really close to the edge of the board, and I don't know if there's enough space to mount the H100i. Really don't want to buy one, then be disappointed that it won't fit.

Here is my purchasing list (If I do get this);

1. 2x SP120 Quite Performance Edition 2 Pack
2. Cooler Master Thermal Compound 4 Grams
3. SilverStone Thermal Compound remover
4. H100i Water cooler

Can someone please give me some advice if the H100i would fit in my case?

phate1337

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
not too sure about the clearance inside your case between the top of the MoBo and the top of your case. what is the spacing you have there? you have to bear in mind you have to account for the radiator and fans because you don't have space beneath the top cover. also, the stock thermal paste on the h100i is perfectly applied 99.99% of the time, and of very high quality. you shouldn't need to replace it. also note, the stock fans are quiet enough, and the built in controller on the cpu block won't work with anything but the stock fans (SP120L model, not available for retail as of right now). if you can tell me the spacing between your MoBo and case, i'll measure my h100i that i have in my rig for you tonight when i get home.

gamingboy

Honorable
May 5, 2012
You have a FX 4170...

A new cooler should be at the bottom of your PC part buying list.

Also, if you already have a H80 and you have overclocked it to 5 Ghz, why would you need a better one?

phate1337

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

wasn't what the OP asked, but i am inclined to agree. you would be better putting the cash into a new processor.