Sign in with
Your question

Looking to build a budget gaming PC (~$500-$800)

Last response: in Systems
September 8, 2012 2:41:45 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: September - October

Budget Range: 500-800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Surfing the internet, School usage (Microsoft Office)

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor. (Sound system is still up for debate)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country: Currently US Military stationed in Germany. I would use a US address and forward shipping.

Parts Preferences: I don't really have a whole lot of computer knowledge, so I don't really have any preferences.

Overclocking: No / Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No / Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: This PC will be used mostly to play online MMO styled games and for accomplishing school work related tasks. I would love not to lag while playing video games :D 

If there is any more information I can provide, please just let me know!

Thanks!
a b 4 Gaming
September 8, 2012 3:55:55 PM

Hi i made two build for you.The first one is going to be just awesome for office work and it will also play games quete well.Its biggest advantage against the second build is that this one has a very high capacity SSD which means you'll be able to store all your data in there.That will make your PC run incredibly fast and responsive.If you eventually need it to go faster, it's processor can be overclocked to around 4.6-4.8 with proper cooling and a new motherboard.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8120 3.1GHz 8-Core Processor ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($54.68 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Agility 4 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 6770 1GB Video Card ($87.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Xigmatek ASGARD PRO (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: OCZ 800W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($24.98 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS224-06 DVD/CD Writer ($18.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $804.42
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-08 11:39 EDT-0400)

The second PC is just incredible if you want to play games.It's performance will enable you to max out all but the most broken (Performance Wise) MMO's like Rift.
It's also pretty fast for office work but since your files aren't going to be on the hard drive it's performance is a level below that of the first system.It also has a incredible motherboard which will allow you to use two different graphics card at once!
a b 4 Gaming
September 8, 2012 3:59:25 PM

Hmm i can't eddit my post.
I forgot to list the 2nd build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2380P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ECS P67H2-A ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Xigmatek ASGARD PRO (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: OCZ 800W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($24.98 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $806.84
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-08 11:59 EDT-0400)

Here it is.
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
September 8, 2012 4:15:00 PM

@Karmen

Lot of wrong things with your build. 800w for a 7870? ECS? And a 512GB SSD on an $800 build?
September 8, 2012 7:27:38 PM

Thanks for all of the info thus far! I really appreciate this site!

obsama1, do you by chance know what kind of fps a person would be getting on max settings on a rift / wow / tor type of game with that set-up you posted?

Also, Karmen, would it be possible to maybe dump the SSHD and drop the wattage to like 500W or so, then pick up a better video card or something instead?
a b 4 Gaming
September 9, 2012 12:01:30 AM

The 7850 would run Rift and Wow at 100+FPS. The 7850 is a very powerful card and will fulfill your expectations.
September 9, 2012 12:07:10 AM

Karmen's build is all wonky. Get an i5 3470 and an H77M-D3H for a basic workstation build and get a 7950 for the graphical grunt. A corsair TX 650 is enough for power. Drop the SSD, its not needed and the Agility series in particular is poor and unstable. That will set you up for a few years.
a b 4 Gaming
September 9, 2012 12:20:02 AM

For WoW and Rift, a 7950 is overkill. A 7850 and i5 will be more than enough for those games.
September 9, 2012 12:52:57 AM

CPU: Intel Core i5-2310 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP LGA 1155 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: You don't need an SSD, trust me. Save your money and get one down the road.
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill Challenger Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg) Combo (99.98)
Power Supply:Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-550-M 550W ($74.98 @ Newegg US)Combo(99.98)
Operating System: Windows 7 Premium (90.95)
(Though if you know someone with the disk just pay $30 bucks to get an activation key.)

I could put all the combo prices in there but you could figure that out. I could probably save still another $30 to $40 with putting a few of these items in combos.

Edit: This is also if you don't feel safe Overclocking.
a b 4 Gaming
September 9, 2012 12:53:10 AM

OP said no or maybe for OC'ing.

@OP, will you overclock or no? Maybe? I'd like to know before putting a cooler into the build.
September 9, 2012 7:14:51 AM

I have to admit, I have never OCd before on any PC I have owned. I suppose if it's completely safe to do?
September 9, 2012 7:43:38 AM

What would be the difference between Ivy Bridge vs Sandy Bridge?
September 9, 2012 7:45:17 AM

Not safe but its unlikely you'll break anything if you know what you are doing. I'd also get Ivy Bridge over Sandy Bridge - i5 3470.
September 9, 2012 7:49:30 AM

Ivy is 10% faster clock for clock. Also supports PCI-E 3 which might come in handy in the future. Importantly it also has native USB 3 support which will come in handy now. Runs cooler at stock too. I'd get Asus or Gigabyte before Asrock though. Asrock is cheap and lightweight.
September 9, 2012 8:47:53 AM

Okay, with the knowledge that I am slowly gaining, with the help from all of you guys, I have attempted to take some of the information provided and build something based off of it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gXNs

If anything here looks bad mojo like.. Let me know!

I think if I can get all of this worked out today, I'll be buying!
September 9, 2012 2:01:06 PM

Well it depends on really if you want to OC or not still. You could save 30-40 some bucks if you don't plan on OCing your rig. Like you I don't feel safe yet with OCing my computer, not till I have better knowledge and just not willing to do it yet.

There is however tons of info out on the net that will assist you with OCing what you have. This really, really comes down to your personal preference. Build a computer now without OCing and study up for you next rig, or build an OC rig and learn as you go with this rig?
September 9, 2012 2:04:23 PM

I would say that I do NOT plan on OCing then. Just to remain on the safe side, and the realm of still knowing what I am doing :D 

September 9, 2012 2:12:49 PM

Case/Power Supply: Rosewill Challenger Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Case/:Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-550-M 550W ($99.98)
CPU/Optical Drive: Intel Core i5-2310 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz/Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner ($186.98)
MotherBoard/Memory: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP LGA 1155/Team Xtreem Dark Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) ($111.98)
Graphics Card: HIS Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($209.99)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM (32mg Cache) (79.99)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 64gb SSD (optional) (72.99)

$688.93-Without SSD
$761.92-With SSD

You said your budget was from 500-800 bucks, I'm just trying to get it in the middle range. The I5-2310 is still nothing to laugh at as it is still a very good CPU. All Combo's came from the NewEgg website.

I'm more on waiting for SSD's to drop on their prices, but they are very very nice. Me personally, I'm waiting about 6 months to get mine, just so I can stay within my budget.
September 9, 2012 3:34:35 PM

Astral,
Would it be possible for you to give a link to the 2 combos at newegg? I attempted searching for them, but must have been unlucky.

The case and the PSU were showing up but at $124 instead of $98.

As for the CPU, I almost am wanting to stick with the 3570 simply because I can then continue to upgrade my video card and the like later on. Unless it would just make more sense to go with the 2310.

What are the big differences between the MoBo you linked and the one in the perma-link in my post?
September 9, 2012 4:58:25 PM

McLaughg said:
Astral,
Would it be possible for you to give a link to the 2 combos at newegg? I attempted searching for them, but must have been unlucky.

The case and the PSU were showing up but at $124 instead of $98.

As for the CPU, I almost am wanting to stick with the 3570 simply because I can then continue to upgrade my video card and the like later on. Unless it would just make more sense to go with the 2310.

What are the big differences between the MoBo you linked and the one in the perma-link in my post?

Those Rosewill power supplies are very low quality; you don't want to cheap out on the PSU. Go with the Corsair 500W PSU that obsama provided in an earlier post.

Get a i5-3550 if you are not going to overlock. I'm not understanding how you think keeping the 3570k will help with video card upgrading? The Z77 motherboard you had will allow overclocking while the H77 board will not so go with an H77 board.

EDIT: I edited obsama's build a little: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gZd7
You can switch the case if you don't like the aesthetics... The XFX power supply is much better than the Rosewills and is 80+ certified.
September 9, 2012 6:00:22 PM

@TemurAmir

I am still really new to the whole "Building Your Own" computer world. So my lack of knowledge sometimes gets me into trouble :D  Someone told me that if you have a poor processor, you will not be able to upgrade the tower much beyond it. I simply took his word for it I suppose.

I do appreciate the advice you provided though, and am currently looking into the 3550.

With regards to the Z77 and the 3570, would it be better to keep the OC option open? In case down the road I need to gain a little extra juice from the components?

As for the power supplies; I understand that with the 80 plus ratings, and the bronze/silver/gold/platinum/etc you are basically getting a better quality power using product. How much of a difference would this actually make? The reason I ask is because the XFX PSU is 550W and Bronze certified, while the previously linked Corsair is only 500W and also not bronze certified.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Corsair

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... XFX

Again, thanks for the help!

EDIT : Current build with changes implemented http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gZu3
September 9, 2012 6:51:01 PM

Case/Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

CPU/Optical Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

MotherBoard/Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

From what I have read up on the Rosewill PSU are just fine, however everyone has different experiences, though with McLaughg not wanting to overclock I'm not seeing to big of a problem with this PSU, though this is my personal preference more so than anything. That and he could just be right because I'm not 100% knowledgeable on PSU's yet. I'm just trying to get him a more midrange price instead of jumping straight to the top and a little more on his budget, something that will work for his needs as well.

You could go an I5-3470 as it has a similar combo deal with it as well. Like I said, just trying to give you a midrange price instead of just jacking it to the top.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Edit: The H77 aren't made for OCing and he isn't going to OC, so he might as well have a board that will allow him to do as its meant. That as well there is new CPU's right around the corner that are going to need a new motherboard anyway. So he might as well get he needs now that will do what he needs plus a little, get a better understanding and then make his next PC a 'BOSS' PC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm 64mb Cache for $79.99 (Warning though, like the samsung there is a change that the quality of it may hurt you after time)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Western Digital 500gb 7200rpm 16mb cache for $69.99
September 9, 2012 8:40:51 PM

I'd get Sapphire or Gigabyte and that HDD is fine.
September 10, 2012 7:08:40 PM

With that HDD change and the Sapphire or Gigabyte Video Card, would this build be complete?

Or am I missing anything?
September 10, 2012 8:20:43 PM

McLaughg said:
With that HDD change and the Sapphire or Gigabyte Video Card, would this build be complete?

Or am I missing anything?

Looks good, I'd change the mobo to a Gigabyte H77-D3H (full ATX version). Asrock is poor. The 3470 will let you save a touch more too.
a b 4 Gaming
September 10, 2012 9:20:55 PM

ASRock is actually really good. They're a subsidiary of ASUS, and their mobo's are good.
September 10, 2012 9:34:51 PM

Smeg45 said:
Looks good, I'd change the mobo to a Gigabyte H77-D3H (full ATX version). Asrock is poor. The 3470 will let you save a touch more too.

ASROCK IS POOR???????????????
September 10, 2012 9:41:21 PM

I see more bad reviews out of Gig than I do out of ASRock as far as DOA boards or boards going bad. I did a lot of looking into boards and just from how many 1 eggs I constantly saw from Gig I now refuse to even take a chance with them. I see a lot of good reviews out of ASRock but it is still a cheap board, but I would rather take my chances with ASRock than Gig.
September 10, 2012 10:17:05 PM

Astralman said:
I see more bad reviews out of Gig than I do out of ASRock as far as DOA boards or boards going bad. I did a lot of looking into boards and just from how many 1 eggs I constantly saw from Gig I now refuse to even take a chance with them. I see a lot of good reviews out of ASRock but it is still a cheap board, but I would rather take my chances with ASRock than Gig.

you write too much bro
September 11, 2012 1:08:53 AM

guerrero said:
ASROCK IS POOR???????????????

Feel the board, less copper, ATX sizes are occasionally cropped. Its not good quality.

And @ AstralMan newegg reviews? Seriously? A bunch of idiots 99% of them. I saw a review for a 440 single core celeron saying it could max Crysis. Those one stars are mostly first time builders who don't know left from right.
a b 4 Gaming
September 11, 2012 1:14:03 AM

Guess that's why they got a TH's Hardware Approved award.

The ATX size is cropped by a few inches, yet it still fits in a standard ATX case. Non issue, for me at least. And what do you mean by less copper? Not being rude, just curious.
September 11, 2012 1:51:26 AM

I have the cheapest Asrock motherboard and it is VERY VERY GOOD QUALITY I was amazed
September 11, 2012 2:20:09 AM

well I do like both giga and asrock both works fine, and just choose the motherboard that has the features that you need.
September 11, 2012 3:14:40 AM

obsama1 said:
Guess that's why they got a TH's Hardware Approved award.

The ATX size is cropped by a few inches, yet it still fits in a standard ATX case. Non issue, for me at least. And what do you mean by less copper? Not being rude, just curious.

The weight. Gigabyte and Asus have more heft to them due to more copper layers. And they don't flex and bend alarmingly like the Asrock. Personally, I'll never go with Asrock and I'll never recommend them.
September 11, 2012 3:19:44 PM

See, I feel as if we are getting into more of a personal preference type deal here more so than anything. All the boards are good and have their recommendations from different places and different people. Nowadays the lower end boards are all going to perform about the same, its just about money and features anymore. What you can afford to what you want. If your own a budget you got to get what you can get and go with your gut, once you get a understanding of what you want.

Me with my budget Build, ASRock will do just fine. Though if you want a cheaper ASUS board this one is $99 and the combo is nice.
!